“Loved the room, the view, the Manager's Reception”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #21 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
WI
“Loved the room, the view, the Manager's Reception”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Expensive hotel, but a good location with great restaurants nearby. The evening manager's reception includes nice hors de oeuvres and drinks. My room had a great view. I probably wouldn't be able to stay here for leisure but the corporate rate on my employer's dime worked for me. I like Kimpton Hotels and the friendly service they provide.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary evening reception and appreciated the wide variety of hors d’oeuvres. I’m further pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and views to your liking. We truly appreciate your thoughtful recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, UK
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I am a regular visitor to this hotel and have stayed on numerous occasions, but this was my first visit since it was renamed the Kinzie Hotel and had a complete makeover. And what a difference.

The decor is so much more modern and inviting, the rooms feel larger and brighter, the carpet feels lovely and plush underfoot. The things I liked before have stayed in place, such as the super comfy bed, great TV, great selection in the Honor Bar, lovely big towels, bathrobes, WiFi etc.

The staff are friendly and helpful and it is in a great location - you don't need to look any further!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a thoughtful review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—including our new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds! I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary WiFi and in-room amenities, like our Honor Bar and our new, oversized, fluffy towels.I’m further pleased to receive such wonderful comments about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was my 6th stay at the Kinzie and I have never been disappointed! From the price to the location to the amenities to the staff...the Kinzie is my only choice when staying in the city. I'm very much looking forward to my next stay!!

-Frank

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Many thanks for the rave review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback on everything from our newly renovated rooms to our award-winning staff. We truly appreciate such a glowing recommendation, especially from a loyal guest like yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 7th stay with us at Kinzie Hotel!

Kanab, UT
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here 5/16-20/14

Excellent location downtown and nicely remodeled property.

Liked breakfast buffet out by elevator on each floor. Trays were in each room so you could take them to the buffet & not have to balance plates, juice etc. on the way back to the room.

Rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. Relaxed and cosy atmosphere, pleasant staff.

Close to restaurants and shopping.

Strongly recommend and will return.

Room Tip: end of floor away from elevator
1 Thank victrometer
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel! I’m delighted to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor—easily gathered up with one of our new wooden trays located in every guest room. I’m further pleased to hear you liked our central location in downtown Chicago, and were able to take advantage of all the nearby shopping and restaurants. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I just got back from 2 nights in Chicago at the Kinzie Hotel with a friend. We did not know much about this hotel when we booked it, although there are a lot of excellent reviews here. We were originally staying one night, but when our plans changed the hotel staff could not have been more accommodating in not only going out of their way to get us a second night (Chicago was a sell-out that weekend due to a large trade show) but also helping us get the best rate.

That is but one example of the many kindnesses and wonderful service we experienced.

The room was fine. Spacious and clean with just enough amenities. The breakfast was fine. There was a complimentary cocktail hour which, although not part of our plans, was a great touch for many, especially business people as a place to meet pre-dinner.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a great location to restaurants and a fun place to stay with reasonable rates. A nice find for anyone in town for fun or business.

Room Tip: It is probably best to be as far from the elevator as possible because that is were breakfast is ser...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mindy10in
Many thanks for the lovely review! We’re delighted to hear you had a “wonderful stay” with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind comments about our team. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our complimentary evening reception. I agree our reception is a great spot to meet for pre-dinner drinks! And I’m happy you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the great restaurants surrounding us. We truly appreciate your gracious recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

In town for a conference. The location for the Kinzie is fantastic and the staff is top notch. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The style of the hotel is very sleek and modern - everything looks shiny and new. These are all good thing. If you peel the onion another layer, however, there are definitely a few inconveniences.

The first is that while the blackout blinds work very well, the location of the hotel (downtown in close quarters) requires you to have them down all the time (blocking out all daylight) unless you want to be staring into (and be stared back at) someone in a room across the street (or, as in my case on the 2nd floor, someone from the street level). Investing in some sheers to go behind the blinds would be a great improvement.

Lack of a hot breakfast room service is inconvenient - continental breakfast is offered by the elevators on each floor but that requires getting up and dressed to head down the hall (I'm not always a morning person). The quality of the fare provided is not the best - the baked goods especially were not the freshest. It would also be nice to see some newspapers available for guests.

The pillows available in the room are very uncomfortable and there are no other options - investing in a few options and having them available for the guests on request would also be a good investment. Other than the pillows (I ended up folding a sweater and using that), the bed was quite comfortable and the blackout blinds ensured I wasn't woken too early by the sun.

A little more attention to detail as noted above and this would have easily been an Excellent rating but these inconveniences have dragged it down to an Average for me even when bolstered with the fantastic (amazing, excellent!) location and the outstanding and superior level of courtesy and friendliness offered by the staff.

Room Tip: try to get higher than a 2nd floor room - the street is noisy in the evening
1 Thank Cocobonk
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. While I’m pleased to hear you liked our new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds I’m sorry to hear that the pillows were not to your liking. We do have other pillows available and are happy to provide those upon request. I apologize if this information was not communicated to you and will be sure to follow up with the appropriate departments. I’m sorry that the view was not your liking as well. We do have a number of front-facing rooms with city views available and try to accommodate all guest requests for views. As you mentioned, we do offer a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast every morning but am sorry to hear the quality of our pastries was not to up to the high standards we pride ourselves on. I’ve passed along your feedback to our Food & Beverage department to ensure this is not an issue moving forward. We do also have several newspapers available and if they are not displayed on your floor landing, we encourage our guests to contact the Front Desk and we’ll be happy to provide you with one. I am pleased to receive such wonderful guest feedback about our team and will be sure to pass those comments along to them. I’m also happy you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district. Thank you again for taking the time to share your helpful comments. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Cordially,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Its very easy to walk to many major attractions, theatres, and shopping areas. The staff is very friendly and attentive. They offer a nice breakfast selection on each floor. There is a mini-fridge in your room as well as a coffee maker. There is an evening reception with light snacks and drinks. They do a good job of keeping the food stocked throughout the evening so you don't have to worry about there being nothing left if you arrive later. The bathroom is well stocked with towels and other amenities. They have dual shower heads- which is nice. There are only 6 floors- so be mindful of that if you like to stay higher for view or noise purposes.

1 Thank Irishssa1
Thank you for sharing your kind review! We’re happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking and appreciated all the in-room amenities, like our Keurig coffeemakers and the dual showerheads in our guest bathrooms. I’m further pleased to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the nearby shopping and attractions within walking distance. I’m also happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughtful comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.