“We love it so much we keep coming back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“We love it so much we keep coming back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our family has stayed at The Kinzie Hotel numerous times (also when it was The Amalfi) and we have always been impressed. From family trips to Chicago or a weekend getaway for my husband and I, we have always had top notch service. The hotel is in a great location in River North, easy to get to everything on foot or by public transportation. For those driving, there is parking a block away. The staff is professional, courteous, and always goes above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Rooms are spotless, beds are super comfortable! We love the continental breakfast on each floor too! For anyone looking to stay in the heart of it all at a lovely hotel with affordable rates, The Kinzie is for you!

• Stayed July 2014
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for the lovely review. We’re so pleased to receive such wonderful guest feedback—especially from a loyal guest like yourself. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor at the Kinzie Hotel to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I’m also pleased you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to take advantage of all the sites surrounding us. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m especially pleased to receive such positive guest feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. We truly appreciate your thoughtful recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I would give this this hotel a 4.5. Not PERFECT but pretty damn near perfect. I will preface that I like writing reviews about what could be better, why I liked it, and if I would stay again.

First of all, when booking I was disappointed because on the hotel website it says they offer a "Best Price Guarantee," well they kinda DON'T. If you book the lowest rate, prepaid, they do not price match that. They had a better rate literally 12 hours after I booked. I contacted them and they said they don't offer the "Best Price Guarantee" on that rate.

One of my biggest pet peeves in the world is air conditioning in hotels. Kinzie's air conditioning is not the best. It's confusing, doesn't go very low, and doesn't offer a fan option so air can get stagnant quick. I asked the front desk if I was using the air conditioning right because it has a very weird set up. You have to set up the outside air, and inside air, I have no idea if one affected the other. Anyways I asked the front desk how to use it, and they suggested that they send up an air conditioning engineer. We were on our way out and didn't want to wait, so partially our fault. I think the front people should be able to answer this basic question though. To best honest though we also experimented and thought we found the right "mixture" and it still wasn't great.

The other things that really didn't bother me but it might bother others. First, the continental breakfast was ok at best. First morning they offered orange juice, second morning, cranberry, no orange juice. From what I can tell they didn't really replenish anything, so if it was gone when you get there, you'd either have to go scavenge on another floor (breakfast is served on every level) or call maybe? One morning I took the last cup, one morning there was none of the tea I wanted. No cold water. There was hard boiled eggs, cereal, fruit (bananas, apples), pastries, and bagels.

They offer a managers happy hour, but I honestly had no idea where it was? We had some drink tokens but had no idea where to go. Also had no idea where the gym was. There were no maps in the rooms to tell people where these things happen. The lobby and front desk was often VERY VERY busy (pretty small) and we didn't see fit to wait, and bother to find out where these things were at. We were rarely in our hotel room so it wasn't a big deal.

What I liked: everything else! The rooms were decorated well, the bed was super comfy, the couch was comfy, shower head(s) were great, they provided robes that were very comfortable. I loved the flavored water they offered every night in the lobby. The location was P-E-R-F-E-C-T, we walked to the River, Millennium Park, restaurants, bars, there is a CVS close by, shopping, train stations, we had more than enough to do within walking distance. The Bellmen were always one step ahead, and super friendly.

Would I say there again? The air conditioning bothered me a lot. The location was primo but there are a ton of hotels in the area. I wouldn't not stay there again, next time I go to Chicago I'm going to look around, but will probably start out with Kinzie.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenna K
Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful feedback. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay, I’m sorry to hear our Reservations department did not honor our Best Rate Guarantee. I will be following up with you directly for more information to ensure this is not an issue in the future. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking but apologize about the issues with our HVAC system. Our front office team is able to assist our guests with quick instructions for the HVAC but if you need it go lower than 68 degrees we do need to have our Engineering Department assist. I’m sorry that our team didn’t make it clear upon check-in where our complimentary evening reception and 24-hour complimentary Fitness Center were located. That information is also located on the key packets guests receive at check-in as well as in our in-room compendium. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and comfortable new robes. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast but apologize it wasn’t replenished in a timely fashion. I appreciate your feedback and have passed along to our Food & Beverage manager to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. I’m happy you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the great restaurants surrounding us and nearby sites like Millennium Park. We truly appreciate your helpful comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Bolingbrook, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Fantastic boutique hotel in a fantastic location. We were looking for a great place to stay for the weekend for a reasonable rate - we found it! This hotel is awesome. Nightly managers reception with cocktails and appetizers - all excellent by the way. Also, continental breakfast on each floor every morning. The reservations Supervisor Amanda knew is was out anniversary and surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries upon our arrival. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler... We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: King room was excellent - super large bathroom - shower was fantastic
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret L
What a flattering review! We’re thrilled you chose to spend your anniversary with us and to hear it was an enjoyable one! I’m especially pleased to hear our Reservations Supervisor, Amanda, helped make your special occasion a memorable one. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our complimentary evening reception. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next anniversary celebration—if not sooner!

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great location just north of Chicago River off State St. Previously The Amalfi Hotel, but completely remodeled. Beautiful modern decor. Same amenities as the Amalfi: Breakfast on same floor and Nightly reception. They remodeled the lobby but kept the relaxed reception and welcome at the desk. Tasteful.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SagamoreMan
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Many thanks for the rave review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well our complimentary evening reception. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was a very relaxing hotel! They had crisp clean sheets, plush huge bath sheets, bath robes, super clean rooms. There was a managers reception every night for drinks and snacks. After long days of site seeing it was great to go back to such a great room. It's a smaller hotel so there is no crowded lobby and long wait for elevators.
Continental breakfast was on each floor. They provided a good variety and it was nice just to step around corner from your room and then go back to eat and relax in your room; very informal and minimizes the crowd. I loved it. The staff was accommodating and helpful to suggest travel routes and site seeing. Very modern and again, super clean!

Room Tip: Great location, walking distance to most sites or short cab ride.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re happy to hear you had a “great stay” with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and comfortable new robes. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, conveniently served on each guest floor so you can enjoy it in the comfort of your own room. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well—I agree it’s a great way to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing. I’m delighted to hear how helpful our team was with recommendations and more! Your thoughtful recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our stay was one notch shy of perfect thanks to the very rude lady MEG at the front desk. I can't say enough good about every single other staff member at Kinzie, but Meg was not someone who should be working the front desk. We called around 2 p.m. to ask if our room might be ready early (prior to the 3 p.m. check in time). We were told it would not be. No problem, we walked around and ate lunch and came back at 3:45 to check in. Our room was not ready. Without any explanation, we were made to wait until 4:20 to check into our room. Had we known our room would not have been ready when it should have, we could have kept exploring downtown instead of sitting in the lobby for 35 minutes wasting our time tending to our luggage and waiting for a room to be available. Once our room was ready, Meg came over to our group, told us she could give us our room keys but we'd have to walk slow because there was a repair man fixing a light bulb. She didn't once apologize for the wait, or say she was sorry the room wasn't ready on time. A simple apology would have gone VERY far with us, but she was just kind of short and curt from the moment we walked in. She was rude again when we check out three days later - just not someone we wanted to deal with.
ENOUGH ABOUT CRABBY MEG - everything else about the Kinzie was TOP NOTCH and excellent! From location to amenities, the bell hop and breakfast - we loved our room and everything about the Kinzie! Visited the fitness room one morning for a workout - it was lovely with TVs on the cardio equipment, clean towels and purified water for your workouts. The morning breakfasts on each level is really a great idea. We loved walking down in our PJs and getting breakfast to bring back and enjoy in the comfort of our room. The beds were SO comfortable. The location was perfect. We literally walked everywhere! Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Michigan Ave., State Street, Rush Street - you name it, we walked to it. I would absolutely recommend the Kinzie!

Room Tip: Higher levels seem to be quieter since they're removed from the street-level activity at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley4163
Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful feedback. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, I’m sorry to hear about the unpleasant interactions you experienced with our front office associate. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service in each and every guest interaction and I’m disappointed to learn we did not live up to that promise. I will address this with the associate and use your feedback to review with them, as well as our entire front office team in order to meet and exceed the level of hospitality that you deserve. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each guest floor to enjoy in the comfort of your own room! I’m pleased you found our complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center to your liking as well. I’m also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our great location in downtown Chicago and walk to all the nearby sites, like Navy Pier, Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue’s Magnificent Mile. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. I hope you will give us another chance next time you visit Chicago so we can show you our commitment to ensuring that your stay is great and you are provided the best possible personal service.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got a great rate through Hotwire and loved our stay here for a long weekend getaway. Wonderful location and helpful staff made the great room and amenities even better. It was pretty noisy, but I normally sleep with earplugs so I wasn't bothered by it.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jennifer R
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for the kind review! We’re so pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed your recent getaway with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed our central location in downtown Chicago. I’m also happy you found our newly renovated rooms and amenities to your liking. Your gracious is recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.