“Great choice for Contemporary Comfort”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Staying at the Kinzie is a great way to introduce yourself to Chicago and immerse yourself immediately into the food and art scene of the downtown area. Location is very convenient for exploring and ambling around.

It's a small boutique hotel with a clean, modern vibe that's warmly welcoming...a feeling I thought was whimsically represented by the minty-blue H2O+ square soap sitting on the cool, stark white dish in our bathroom. The grey/white walls are decorated with framed photographs of vintage scenes as well as fun modern art pieces which could include the funky furniture in the lobby.

The Kinzie staff is friendly and attentive, always greeting you on the way in and out. The bellhops are very dapper in their light grey uniforms and fedoras. Fresh fruit flavored water is available in the lobby.

Yays:
- Free breakfast is served on each floor from 6:30 to 10 am, set up right across from the elevators. How convenient is that? You'll see your neighbors in their white bathrobes out examining the continental breakfast choices: pastries, bagels, breads, cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice, tea, yogurt. There's a white tray in your room that you can take with you to carry all your selections back for a leisurely breakfast in bed moment.
- The free Manager's reception in the evenings is on the 6th floor with open bar (you're given a token for a free drink when you register) and a tasty assortment of appetizers. It's a low-lit, intimate setting with bar tables and chairs.
- Everything was clean and comfortable...the room, beds, decor.
- Our room had two queen beds-- a choice not offered at many hotels but very appreciated by families.
- Location is excellent: great access to restaurants and Michigan Avenue. 5 minute walk to Grand metro station where you can catch the Red line to Wrigley Field, 10 minute walk to Millenium Park ("Bean", Cloud Gate) and a little further to the fantastic Art Institute of Chicago museum.
- Considering the hotel is on a main street right in the middle of downtown, you would think you'd hear a lot more street noise. Our room was on the 5th floor and we heard more from the ice machine across the hallway. There is street noise, just not as much as expected.
- The small gym is located on the 5th floor which was very convenient for us.

Nays:
- We traveled at peak time so prices were higher, but still better than many other hotels nearby.
- That we couldn't stay longer!

Interesting:
- Kinzie has a very pet-friendly policy with rooms and services geared towards furry guests. For those of us who are unfortunately allergic to man's best friend, you should ask for rooms on the non-pet floors.

Staying at the Kinzie helped make our visit to Chicago more enjoyable and accessible...would definitely come back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bln_travels
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and in-room H2O Plus spa amenities—an authentic Chicago product! I’m further pleased to hear you liked our new lobby as well and appreciated all the custom artwork from local Chicago artists. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor—easily gathered up with one of our new wooden trays located in every guest room. I’m further pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception and found the wide variety of appetizers to your liking. As you mentioned, we are a pet-friendly hotel and our second floor is reserved for all our four-legged guests. I’m happy you liked our central location in downtown Chicago and were able to walk to all the nearby sites—like Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago. I’m pleased you were able to utilize our complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Location is very central. Close to pickup point for river cruises and city bus tours. Ten minutes to Millenium park ('the bean!) Hotel staff very very helpful especially the concierge from Sri Lanka who organised our transfer for us. Nice continental breakfast included, available from 6.30am until 10am on each floor to be taken back to the room. Unusual idea but great! There is free WIFI. Most comfortable bed I have slept in on any trip. Top marks for that! We stayed with our daughter and her husband. We would recommend and we would definitely return if in Chicago again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for the rave review! We’re delighted to hear you and your family had an “excellent” stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m especially pleased to hear how helpful our front office team was—Rafi in particular. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m happy you liked our central downtown location and took advantage of our close proximity to all the city sites, like Millennium Park. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m further delighted to hear you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking—especially our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I’m happy you appreciated our complimentary WiFi as well. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I honestly can't think of one negative thing to say--everything about this hotel was perfect, from the location to the friendly staff, the comfy, clean, large room and the great breakfast. The daily drinks reception was fun and the ever-changing, refreshing fresh fruit water in the lobby was great. I loved staying here and am sad to leave!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the lovely review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. I’m happy you appreciated the complimentary fruit-infused water served every afternoon in our lobby as well. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

On my last night at the kinzie while writing this. I book this hotel because it was the best value on Expedia. I made a great choice. They did a great job at renovating and making it modern. The staff is very helpful and polite. Beds are very comfy and room is spacious.

The continental breakfast has a decent selection, however first two mornings there was no coffee left but after talking to the staff they quickly sent a fresh pot to my room. There is also a Kurieg in the room.

I'm sure this is the same at any hotel but it can tend to be noisy outside as Chicago drivers seem to love honking their horn any chance they get.

The staff will go out of their way to book dinner or attractions for you and give great recommendations. Btw... The subway is only couple blocks away North or south as your right on the red line. Rest of the lines just north.

I would absolutely come back again and hope this hotel becomes more popular. The way a hotel should be.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you kindly for the gracious review. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking— especially our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and in-room Keurig coffeemakers. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast but apologize that the coffee was not replenished in a timely fashion. I am happy our team was able to resolve the issue and provide you with a fresh pot of coffee. I’m further pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and walk to all the nearby restaurants and attractions surrounding us. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Hotel is GREAT! Every employee is nice and helpful. Rooms are super clean, sleek, great sheets and towels, PLUS ...a continental breakfast and happy hour is included with every stay! Great location. Good workout room. Came with a 17 year old who also thought this place was worth coming back to.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for the 5-star review! We’re so happy to hear you and your family had a “great” stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—including our comfy new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and oversized, fluffy new towels. I’m further delighted to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. I’m happy you were able to utilize our complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center as well. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My girlfriend and I did girls night at the Kinzie Aug 11 - 13th. The hotel and its staff was exceptional, I want to give a shout out to Zouhir, Gerry, Rafi & Julian,very welcoming eager to help.. Mag and Deloris were busy when interrupted they were very nice and accommodating. We had a enjoyable time, continental breakfast and social hrs from 5 - 8 pm was a nice touch. One miner complaint no microwaves in rooms there is one on the 2nd fl, ice machine not on every floor. The beds slept like a dream. The room was decorated nicely an very clean. We walked every where because everything distance wise was 5 - 20 min. walk.

Room Tip: Kinzie street view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the kind review. We’re pleased you and your friend enjoyed your girls’ night getaway with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—especially our comfy new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I apologize that there was no microwave in your room. As you mentioned, there is one located on the second floor for complimentary use or you can rent one from our front desk for a small fee. I’m so pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our front office team and will be sure to pass along your kind comments. I’m happy you found our central downtown location to your liking and were able to walk to all the nearby sites Chicago has to offer. And I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. Your thoughtful recommendation is much appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great stay! Everything is brand new. There is nothing bad to say about our stay. Great room, great staff, lovely happy hours, free breakfast...and location is central (5 min walk to metro). And all of this for only 99$/night! Best deal ever!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the flattering feedback! It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and décor. I’m also pleased you found our central downtown location to your liking, especially our close proximity to several downtown CTA stations. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our evening cocktail reception and deluxe continental breakfast. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.