“Great & seriously cool hotel in Chicago”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brussels, Belgium
“Great & seriously cool hotel in Chicago”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

This is a really fine & very cool hotel, with a special character all of its own. Great location in downtown Chicago. Fantastic value when we stayed there, admittedly having booked about 6 months in advance. Very friendly, helpful & efficient staff. Lovely design, good modern furniture, great beds. Some really nice & unusual touches : free buffet breakfast on each floor, free afternoon drinks & nibbles every day, selection of good DVD to borrow. Very comfortable rooms, good beds. All in all a seriously pleasant & cool hotel. We would strongly recommend it & will be sure to go back on future trips to chicago.

Only one drawback, the air-conditioning (in August) was so powerful that we were cold in the room even when we turned it off, while it was swelteringly hot outside.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Barcelona
Reviewed 27 August 2010

For the price I payed (100 euros/night), I can tell that this is an amazing and very recomendable place. Modern but also confortable, it's ubication also is very good (near the Loop, 10 minuts walking from Millenium Park).
Just one negative point: breakfast in the room is very good idea, but then there should be more chairs!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Indianapolis
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We booked the Amalfi looking for a great boutique hotel in Chicago. The hotel is a nice property with clean rooms and nice amenities in a good location. However, when i booked the hotel I was offered an upgraded room from a king room to a corner king room for only $10 more. That was great until I checked in. The corner room looked at two brick walls and an alley. During the night there were several homeless individuals fighting in the alley. It would seem that this is a place for them to congregate. On top of this, the dumpsters in the alley were being emptied by the waste department between 5 and 6 am in the morning. The noise was crazy loud.

I think this is a nice hotel with some unfortunate aspects due to its location. The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful.

1 Thank KMGIndy
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
With the help of your feedback, our management team has reviewed our Corner Kings and made the appropriate changes to our upgraded room selection. Also regarding the disturbances from the alley, we have contacted the alderman and local police to prevent this from becoming problematic.

I thank you again for your comments and am glad you found our staff helpful. We are happy to assist guests with their concerns and hope they will directly contact us as soon as any issues arise.

Melissa Driza
Amalfi Hotel Chicago
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed in the Amalfi this summer while visiting my son who lives in Chicago. I wanted a reasonable hotel that was close to everything. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Every morning there was a very nice continental breakfast right outside the elevators on my floor. I understand they have a free Happy Hour also but was not able to attend during my stay. The room was large for Chicago and very nice. But the staff.....They were outstanding. Very helpful throughout the stay. But the kicker is I left a $4,000 necklace in the room. I did not discover it missing for almost a week. I called the hotel on a whim. I didn't think I had left it there. I spoke to a woman in housekeeping who spoke in broken English. She said they had the necklace and they would send it to me. I asked her how I could send her a reward for her honesty. She replied, "Absolutely not. I take pride in doing the right thing." That is unheard of in this day and age and it warms my heart to know there are still people out there that believe honesty is reward enough. God Bless her and everyone in that hotel. You know they must be good to their employees. It is reflected in the service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank holly1358
Thank you for acknowledging the integrity and work ethic of our staff. I am pleased to share your kind words with our Guest Comfort department, who as a team work very hard to provide a pleasant and enjoyable stay for our guests. We are very glad you chose the Amalfi and took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Many thanks - Melissa Driza
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed here with my wife for 4 nights.

Chose the Amalfi based on the great reviews on here and the great value offered by Expedia.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Location was ideal as it was close to everything. Plenty of great restaurants nearby, about a 5 min walk from Michigan ave/Mag Mile or Navy Pier. A block away from the river. A short walk from Millennium Park. Some on here mentioned it's a sketchy/seedy area. Only noticed a couple weirdo's hanging out around the corner at night, but they're in the midst of everyone else. You're not in some back alley or anything. Nothing you don't see in any big city.

The hotel has a nice boutique feel to it. Nothing really special about the room. Basic hotel room but no issues. The complimentary breakfasts every morning were great! They have a continental b-fast on EVERY floor. Plenty to choose from, as far as continentals go. The free Happy hour was a great addition as well! There's also some hors d'oeuvres. Free wifi internet was useful however this

Highly recommend Hub 51 lounge/restaurant which is around the corner. Seems to be best on Thurs-Sat nights.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Thank you for choosing the Amalfi and sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities and the nearby city attractions during your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your wife again.

Sincerely, Melissa Driza – Amalfi Hotel Chicago
Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The hotel is comfortable but needs a little updating, the carpet was somewhat dirty (not bad but showing some wear). Bath was large and nice. Near lots of things but not exactly close to anything but resturuants. Overall a nice place to stay.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My friend and I met in Chicago for a conference and shared a room at the Amalfi. We stayed four busy days in town.

I have no complaints at all. The hotel had a nice boutique feel, but certainly not the pinnacle of style. There was a standard continental breakfast, but the nice touch was that it was served by the elevators on each floor which was very convenient. There was also a cocktail hour. It was in a strange room that felt like a conference room, but one really can't complain about a complimentary drink and snack!

We had a great rate with a prepaid expedia deal so we were very happy. That being said, if you are paying full price you might find a higher end hotel for the same price.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business