“Clean, friendly place to stay for Sports weekend getaway”
Review of Carlton Inn Midway

Carlton Inn Midway
Ranked #44 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Ontario
“Clean, friendly place to stay for Sports weekend getaway”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I decided a couple of weeks ago to travel to Chicago with my boys to see the Bears game, and our Blue Jays play the Sox. We usually stay at chain hotels in the suburbs of cities and drive into downtown but from what I had read about Chicago, it's not an easy place to drive around and parking is expensive(side note: Chicago drivers love their horns).

Looking at Tripadvisor ratings, the Carleton Inn really stood out at #31 at the time, among the towering downtown hotels in ranking, at less than half the price. The reviews were consistently positive. This review will echo the others.

Check-in was quick. The young woman welcomed me and answered my question about the "L" train, providing me with a map and highlighting the route to Soldier Field. She also offered the shuttle service to us, but after an 8 hour car ride we wanted to stretch our legs. The train station was just a 10 minute walk along a busy commercial street. The staff were quick to offer use of the shuttle to/from the L station and we made use of it to be picked up from Giordanos Pizza around the corner from the hotel after a long day of walking downtown Chicago. One day we visited the Lincoln Park Zoo and the staff had a printout ready for a stop by stop transit map to get there. It's about 20-25 minutes into the city.

The room itself was neat and tidy. Fridge, microwave, flat screen TV. Air conditioner worked well. Exactly what we needed and expect when we travel. The hotel in general is very well kept.

My family are not big breakfast eaters but I found the selection perfect for starting my day off. Bagels, yogourt, Simpsons donut and glass of OJ hit the spot. Pleasant covered patio with flowers on the table and TV on the morning news to sit and eat.

The ladies and gentlemen that work the front desk and shuttles really put the Carleton Inn over the top. They really couldn't be more friendly and helpful. My expectations of them were pretty high after reading the reviews and I must say they certainly live up to the hype---really engaged in making sure their guests are taken care of.

Our 2 nights went by much too quickly. We will return for a longer visit next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 208. We were happy with it.
2 Thank Hug_The_Mouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Denton, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a 3 night stay here recently. The staff were friendly, service oriented & helpful. We were given some very helpful information about local restaurants & attractions at check in and the few special requests we had were handled promptly and graciously. Buddy, the lobby mascot, was very sweet too! We were delighted by the expanded continental breakfast featuring Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches. The covered outdoor breakfast patio was nice. There is a nicely equipped exercise room but no pool. Our king room was spacious and clean and the friendly housekeeping staff did a great job at keeping it clean. The reason we chose this hotel for our stay was it's proximity to both Midway Airport and to the L. The hotel offers free shuttle service to both locations. The orange line L is only 2 blocks from the hotel, so it's a convenient walk. From there, you can get all around the city and to and from Midway. We had an enjoyable time in Chicago and would definitely stay at the Carlton Inn again.

2 Thank usprods
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Bottom line this was a great stay with family (three boys age 18,8,2). The rest of the hospitality industry should come here to learn how to treat customers. Family run and great services. Couldn't be more impressed. Location is 1/2 mile from midway (as name indicates) and on the ORANGE line subway (called the L) which also goes to Midway airport and downtown.. Room was excellent, very clean and all one could want for family. Keep in mind this isn't a 5 star motel but everything (Inside and out) is in very good repair, most rooms are updated (others are in progress of updating) and very clean!!!!. Motel is located in a safe area, restaurants and stores nearby, high school across the street, bus lines everywhere. Next time I come to Chicago I will stay here.

Room Tip: 2 story motel, no central hall so you park and enter your room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Davis, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My 3 teenagers and I really enjoyed our 2 day stay here. The staff were so very helpful and flexible allowing us to stay a while longer while we packed up. We appreciated the free parking, free breakfast, recommendations and directions to our destinations and not having to ask for extra towels or help with our luggage. They seemed to anticipate our needs. We walked the 2 blocks to the train for the Cubs game and easily drove to other locations. I very much recommend this hotel. Give Buddy, the hotel mascot, a pat when you arrive.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

As everyone says "GREAT FRIENDLY AWESOME staff. Steve, Nicole, Dean and Nicole treated my friend and I with courtesy, respect and patience beyond description. My own family falls short compared to these folks. It is very reasonable and super clean.. And the neighborhood is not that bad, honestly. It's south side of Chicago, ok? I have stayed here three times and never felt unsafe. You do not sleep in the street, right? Super restaurants nearby as well. Shuttle service is indescribable. Convenient location. Affordable. Five star service. Clean, cozy and Chicago on a budget!!! You will not find a better deal. Save your Reward points for a Marriott or Hilton someplace else. Can not wait to return. And hi to Buddy too.

Room Tip: First level numbers 102 to 110 work well.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The service at this hotel is the best I have ever received. We stayed at a 4 star hotel in downtown Chicago the night before, and the staff at Carlton blew them out of the water. I wish we would have stayed here both nights. The person that helped us specifically, I believe was named Paul. He seemed genuinely interested in making sure that we had the best visit possible. He told us about all there was to do and suggested restaurants to eat at. They had a free shuttle that took us to the orange line and picked us back up. There is also a complimentary breakfast in the morning. The bed was your average hotel bed. Sleepable, but never as comfortable as the one you have at home. Great stay overall!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel has the most helpful and friendly staff imaginable. The room was clean and well furnished, the bed very comfortable. I suggest that boiled eggs at breakfast would be welcome. The area around the hotel isn't attractive which accounts in part, I think, for the very reasonable price. Very convenient location for Midway Airport, and very close to the CTA train to the centre. Free shuttle to the airport and to any other close location is a great plus. Free use of the computer too. The hotel is obviously extremely well managed.

I high recommend staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: 2 floors. I think the rooms are probably identical.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family