“An average Chicago Bar/Resturant”

Stout Barrel House and Galley
Reserve with OpenTable
Stout Barrel House and Galley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,164 of 9,882 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Erie
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Went with friends to watch a Bulls game yesterday afternoon. This is a roomy, fairly large restaurant/bar with a decent beer and food menu. The servers are all very attractive younger girls, which usually means the service is gonna be pretty bad and it was. It took us 20 mintues before she took our drink order and about another 20 mintues before she took our food. She LITERALLY VANISHED for like 20 minutes. Food was decent, nothing spectacular. Busers were working very hard, because the waitress refues to clear any plates themselves. Nothing is done with a smile, the waistresses are definetly doing you a favor every time they bring you something.

There is no outdoor seating, just their front windows are removable and that creates a nice airy feel throughout the joint. There are tons of places in Chicago like this and they do not seem to stand apart with food, drinks or services. They are the defintion of AVERAGE.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

A friend and I came here last night (Saturday) to meet up with a few people who were already inside. He and I both work just down the block, and we're in here at least once a week after work for drinks (sometimes more for dinner). We send a lot of our clients here for lunch too; the food is good and reasonably priced. And I've even met clients here, because it hits a nice niche between super-high and low-end cuisine. My point is, we drive a lot of business here. Or, at least, we used to. We won't be doing that anymore. In fact, we'll be going out of our way to make sure everyone knows the kind of place this really is. When we showed up last night, the doorman informed us that the "manager" had "decided he wasn't going to be letting anymore guys in that night." Now listen, I get the capacity thing. And I even get the no-more-guys-thing. But not here. Not at a place that bills itself as a craft beer bar and gastropub. This isn't the Roof at the Wit or the top of the Dana (both great bars, but both places I would expect to see something like that, and both places where it's borderline acceptable). We eventually (after, say, two hours) had to call the people we were meeting and tell them that even thought they had seats and beers waiting for us inside, we weren't going to be able to make it. It's like Hunter S. Thompson says: Never burn the locals. And that's exactly what Stout did last night. Hope all that faux-club wannabe nonsense was worth it.

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

It was very loud on sat nite. The pita chips for the hummus are amazing and the sriracha sauce for the pretzels are to die for. There were large TVs so we could watch the game comfortably . I would cone back.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We were hungry, it was 3:45 in the afternoon so we decided to try it. The doors were locked, the hostess opened them up, said they open at 4:00, but welcomed us in...no big deal but it really made me feel comfortable.
My wife had the Beet Salad and she raved about it all week. I had the Pot Pie (good stuff) and enjoyed their beer selection.
We will go back when we are in town again.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

My family ate here and enjoyed it. The food is good (fries are awesome) and the beer selection is outstanding. While kind of noisy the atmosphere is lively and fun. Service was very good. Only thing unusual were the busboys. It seems strange to write this but they were so attentive that it became annoying. I don't think I've ever complained about receiving too much service. If it weren't for that I'd give this place a much higher rating.