“Middle of the road - but I'd go again”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Perennial Virant - CLOSED

Perennial Virant
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Home Style
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Wells & Clark
Description: Perennial Virant is a collaborative effort between Boka Restaurant Group and acclaimed Chef Paul Virant. Paul won Food & Wine Best New Chef America 2007 and was a James Beard finalist for Best Chef Great Lakes 2011. The modestly priced menu is comprised of small, medium, and large plates. Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Chicago
“Middle of the road - but I'd go again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We arrived early, so we sat at the bar and had a drink waiting for our friends. The bartenders were very entertaining and the cocktails were excellent.

The big drawback for me is that the dining area is very noisy. It's very difficult to carry on a conversation with others at your table because of the noise level. We had a very good waiter who really knew his stuff. The food was decent, but it's nothing exceptional -- nothing creative or unusual. I had eaten here one time before, when they first opened, and thought the food and service were really bad. So, I was glad to see things have improved, and I would go back.

• Visited January 2014

South London
“Good breakfast option.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had breakfast here one morning whilst staying at the Hotel Lincoln and I have to say it was very good. The menu was small but offered some interesting options. I had the PV brown skillet which was very tasty. The staff were very attentive and the service was very good. I can't comment on anything other than breakfast but the restaurant was always very busy in the evenings and from what I could see the food looked very good.

Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing food, and very noisy, expensive for the quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was not our first trip to Perennial, but it was our first visit after a few months. This time we went with 2 friends for Sunday Brunch and were universally disappointed. We got there just after 11, and were seated, ordered tea and coffee and perused the menu. Shortly afterwards a young family was seated next to us and the toddler proceeded to bang on the table with his wooden blocks……so we moved a few tables further away. Well it must have been karma because the soon after the next table to us was filled with a loud group who were into their cups and we could not even hear ourselves speak so we moved on. But I have to say that the noise level in general was very high.

Now for the important part the food. We ordered 2 omelets, a corned beef hash, the sausage and a some sticky buns, tea and coffee. The sticky buns were very good, more of a cake type dough than a yeast type but with a great salt caramel sauce. The rest of the food not so much. The omelets had a strange texture, reminiscent of microwave eggs, (those of us who have had the pleasure of staying in middle of nowhere motels know it well), the home fries were a tad underdone – so an edible but no way exceptional dish. The coned beef hash was bland, and the sausage very ordinary.

My earl grey tea was very strong (no hot water at the table to dilute it) and the coffee acceptable. Wait staff were fine but not great, and they brought out mismatching cutlery.

Brunch for 4 without alcohol was 85 dollars with the tip – but an entirely forgettable experience.

This is walking distance from our home so we would like to love it but just can not. Given all the great venues in Chicago it will be a long time until we give it another chance.

• Visited January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Food and Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The dinner was amazing but love the breakfast for sure. Farm to table food. Must try the bread....was amazing!

Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breakfast Bonanza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Perfectly executed omelets, wonderful whole-grain toast, creamy oatmeal and the best, homemade blueberry preserves imaginable!

Visited January 2014