“Good, creative food before the play.”
Review of Perennial Virant - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Wells & Clark
Description: Perennial Virant is a collaborative effort between Boka Restaurant Group and acclaimed Chef Paul Virant. Paul won Food & Wine Best New Chef America 2007 and was a James Beard finalist for Best Chef Great Lakes 2011. The modestly priced menu is comprised of small, medium, and large plates. Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We try to take dinner en route to Navy Pier for the Shakespeare Theater and this time tried Perennial, across from Lincoln Park Zoo (free street perking) and 12 min. from our theater. The food was tasty, regional fare creatively presented. The carrot soup was outstanding, the lamb sausage entree very good - hearty with a variety of vegetables. The gnocchi were just ok; I'm not a fan but wanted to try them as they were recommended. If you fancy gnocchi, I believe these would be good. My scallops were very tasty - the scallops themselves, that is. They were served on a bed of lettuce or chard, slightly cooked, which was bitter and decidedly detracted from the dish. Finally, we shared a gingerbread ice cream ( yes, ice cream) dessert that we enjoyed. In all, the dinner was good but not outstanding, all for a fairly hefty fare. Am glad we went and will go back when convenient.

There are newer reviews for Perennial Virant

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed at Hotel Lincoln, and were happy to find this restaurant on the first floor when we arrived late on a Wednesday night. The service was excellent. Tasty cocktail and wine options were much appreciated in helping us relax after a long travel day. My vegetarian daughter found plenty to enjoy, as did my 80-year old mother. I loved my grilled fluke served on a bed of delicious corn mixed with other vegetables. Additional dishes we shared included carrot soup, warm apple salad, and 2 yummy desserts.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We found Perennial Virant on the Second City website, listed as one restaurant that offers a pre-theater special menu, but the real selling points for us were creative the farm-to-table menu and not having to walk to far in the freezing cold to get to the show.

Perennial Virant has a very modern vibe both in decor, music and menu. The Prix Fixe pre theater was three courses for $41 per person and you had a very good selection of items from the menu. The food was beautifully presented and offered a delicious mix of flavors that was inventive, but not weird. I am not at all a vegetarian, but the vegetarian entree sounded really appealing and I told the server that if all vegetarian dishes were like that, I could easily convert. That;s how much I enjoyed it. The only thing that was a bit disappointing were the desserts, which we thought were high quality in term of the ingredients, but just okay flavor wise.

The service was friendly and excellent.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere, meal, and drinks. We had reservations at 815 and did not get seated until near 9. NThe floor manager apologized and paid for a round of drinks for our group. The fact that people were lingering in enjoyment made me appreciate that the wait was worth it..and it was. The server was not the most engaging but nevertheless the service was attentive. We have vegan and gluten free in our group and with this the server knew the menu very well and she was able to guide us to some perfect selections. The pumpkin soup as amazing!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We arrived early, so we sat at the bar and had a drink waiting for our friends. The bartenders were very entertaining and the cocktails were excellent.

The big drawback for me is that the dining area is very noisy. It's very difficult to carry on a conversation with others at your table because of the noise level. We had a very good waiter who really knew his stuff. The food was decent, but it's nothing exceptional -- nothing creative or unusual. I had eaten here one time before, when they first opened, and thought the food and service were really bad. So, I was glad to see things have improved, and I would go back.