“Great location and fantastic rates!”

Aloft Chicago City Center
Ranked #47 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great location and fantastic rates!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Chicago is a great city in which to enjoy a weekend away from home (...what I refer to as a "stay-cation"). Unfortunately, affording such a weekend at any of the hotels in the city's trendy River North or Mag Mile neighborhoods can be hideously expensive, especially as the weather gets warmer. Making matters worse, most reasonably-priced hotels in Chicago are either in a suboptimal location or are in dire need of renovation.

Therefore, you can imagine my excitement when I came across the new Aloft Chicago City Center hotel upon scouring several internet travel sites a couple weeks ago. Not only is this hotel BRAND NEW, it is literally in the heart of River North on the corner of Clark and Grand. Walking to any of the amazing area restaurants (ahem...Naha...ahem) or bars on Hubbard or Kinzie is a breeze. Oh, and I almost forgot the best part -- it's reasonably priced! Our room rate before tax was $87 (and that was over a weekend!).

The hotel itself has a very modern "trendy" vibe going on. The rooms are very small and "studio-esque", but make the best use of space possible. A large LCD TV is mounted on the wall opposite the bed and floor-to-ceiling windows offer good views of the city. A small mini-fridge helped keep some sparkling brut rose and a couple beers cool while my wife and I got ready for dinner (...did I mention that Naha is right across the street?). The rooms are also outfitted with a charging station/USB hub for plugging in your portables.

Since the hotel is in the center of a big nightlife area, it can get pretty loud around 2:00am (when bars let out). I would therefore recommend a room on a higher floor and/or a room which faces Grand Avenue. We personally had no issues with the noise, but understand that some may not sleep as deeply as we do.

A note on parking: Parking in Chicago is SUPER EXPENSIVE, especially overnight parking. DO NOT PARK THROUGH THE HOTEL. They will charge you an arm-and-a-leg (as will any other hotel in the city). Do yourself a favor beforehand and visit any of the awesome Chicago parking websites which allow you to prepay for parking at numerous garages throughout the city. I was able to find secured covered parking in a garage only 1 block from the Aloft for $20/night.

After a night of partying, we slept right up until check-out time at noon. While we didn't visit the hotel's restaurant Beatrix, know that it gets rave reviews and is also very reasonably priced. We will be stopping here for brunch next time we stay at the Aloft! Lastly, while we didn't have much interaction with the hotel staff, they were very responsive and pleasant during check-in.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quieter, as are rooms which face Grand Avenue.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig P, General Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your great review of our hotel! We are happy you chose us for your "stay-cation" and love that you enjoyed the vibe of the hotel and the area. We would love for you to come back and try out Beatrix the next time you need a getaway.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 5 April 2014

So here's the deal:

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay here. The location was unbeatable, the style is fun, and the fitness facilities were great!

But, here's why I'm giving this place 1 star....I left a charger in my room, and called the hotel (the same day I checked out) to ask to have it shipped to me. They emailed a form to me to charge my credit card for shipping. After doing this, I contacted the hotel to see if they needed more info, and they said everything was all set. More than a week passes, and I still haven't received the charger or heard anything. So I email the hotel again asking for a status update, and I didn't receive a reply. A couple of days later I receive a notification from FedEx (I automatically receive notifications for any delivery) that a package will be delivered in the next couple of days. Note, this is nearly a week and a half after I asked them to ship the item. But here's the kicker: I look on my credit card and there's a charge for $18 to ship the charger!!!!! $18 to ship a 4-5 ounce item (that costs about $10 to buy in the store) via ground?!?! Needless to say, I was quite shocked and called the hotel, and they informed me that "that's how much it costs to ship it." I find this very hard to believe, and I think it's very deceptive of the hotel to charge so much without informing me of the costs.

Bottom line: I liked the hotel, but their questionable billing practices ensure that I will never return again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cdxskier
Craig P, General Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our online survey. It is unfortunate that this incident caused you to have bad impression of our hotel. It is our policy that lost and found items are sent back to our guests via Fedex Ground to ensure we are able to keep track of it, and charged to that guests' credit card. I am happy that we were able to reimburse you the $17.99 shipping fee, and should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at the hotel.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Pretty much everything has already been covered in previous reviews. The room was nice size, priced on the low side for downtown and had some pretty cool decor. The Hotel was modern and the staff very friendly and professional. The center desk was always manned by 2 or more people. The beds were real comfy. My only room complaint was the bathroom. The toilet and shower were separated from the sink by a sliding door, which doesn't lock. No biggy but the light switch for the 2 bathroom area lights were combined so if you used the bathroom at night the light shone into the room, No way to avoid it.

I, like many others had severe noise issues. The Hotel sits on a busy corner and it was Saturday Night, but OMG! There is a fire station around the corner that must be the cities busiest, or at least noisiest. I was woken up at least 5 times by sirens and horns. It sounded like the local 4th of July parade. This went on all night, along with a loud motorcycle racing by and various horn blasts. I used to have an apartment with a bedroom 10 ft from the L tracks so not usually too bothered by noise.

I didn't have any problem with noise by people on our floor and other rooms, just the outside. Our room was on the Clark Street side on the 3rd floor, so probably worse case scenario for location, but if you are a light sleeper I would definitely request a higher floor or at least an room on the alley side.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor in on the East side
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Otisnova2010
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My friends and I scheduled a reunion weekend (read: bachelor party) in Chicago several weeks ago. Despite trying to relive our wilder college days, the hotel staff professionally and politely made sure our stay was enjoyable, while not negatively impacting the other guests. Melissa was particularly helpful organizing the 7 rooms for our weekend, and Jane made our checkout a breeze. We would definitely choose the Aloft again for its welcoming staff and great location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Nick, we are happy we were able to host you on such an important trip! Thanks for your kind words about Melissa and Jane. I hope the wedding weekend was just as much of a success!
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Enjoyed my stay! The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I would absolutely come back here on future visits. The rooms are small. I would not really want to stay with more than just me. The beds are comfy and the room was very clean. The workout room was great for its size. Clean and well maintained. River North is a great neighborhood.

Green Features: Recycling very prevalent. They gave us incentive to skip housekeeping. I'd say they do a pretty good job on this.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
So glad you enjoyed your stay and our Green program. We can't wait to have you back!
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Whole family, from 1 1/2 to 70 enjoyed the Aloft. Location, rate, rooms, lobby all good. Outstanding was the restaurant Beatrix and the friendly, accommodating hotel staff. For a city weekend, we couldn't have picked a better spot. And the children really felt like they'd been to the big city.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary C
Thanks for the review! I hope you and the family can visit us again soon!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm frequently in Chicago for pleasure, as my family lives near by. I've stayed in many locations, and the River North area is becoming more and more viable. In addition, the location to the subway and bus lines are a plus. So it is nice that a Starwood hotel is now located within the River North area. The reviews about noise worried me. However, after my stay I can't say I experienced the same. Although I requested a high floor, I received a lower floor on the west side. Thus I would assume road noise would be bad. Yet it wasn't any worse than any hotel in a downtown area. Plus, I never heard any noise next door. Maybe I lucked out, but it wasn't an issue.

As for the hotel itself, staff was great and appearance was nice. I know it's a new hotel, so hopefully the standards will upkeep. This is also the first time I've stayed at an Aloft (I usually stay to W's), and the room layout is nice. They themselves are small, but they use the space very wisely. The window is great (although no view), and the desk location is just unique and convenient.

I think most negative reviews come from relating this hotel to a regular W hotel. It's lower tier, so not full service - and I wouldn't expect full service amenities. Thus it's unfair to compare it to the W. All said, it's a great hotel for a vacation stay. Relatively cheap, chic, and convenient.

Room Tip: Corner rooms would be nice. Otherwise, hard to get a good view anywhere it seems.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Craig P, Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thanks for your feedback. We would love for you to check us out again, so we can make sure you get a high floor room with a view. We'd love to change your review to 'Great Location, Great Hotel!'