“Great location, great staff”

Aloft Chicago City Center
Ranked #44 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, QC
“Great location, great staff”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in mid-July with my wife and 2 kids, 7 and 10. We were given a room on the 11th floor facing N. Clark. Room was clean, spacious enough for us, and comfortable. I can't say enough about how great all of the staff were to us, greeting us every single day and answering all of our questions. I've stayed in many hotels before but the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is in top 5 of my hotel stays, on par with a lot more expensive ones I've stayed at.

Location in Chicago is fantastic, only 2 blocks from metro station, and right in the middle of the entertainment district with lots of great food choices in varying price ranges. The restaurant on ground floor, Beatrix, has good food and offers nice take-out breakfast pastries. Firecakes, a block and a half away, has absolutely amazing donuts.

My only complaint about the hotel is the noise level from the street and from the fire station that's located nearly right beside it. Someone must have cut costs on windows and sound proofing because you could hear lots from the street, as well as from some of the neighbouring rooms, and even in the hallways. Our stay overlapped a Saturday night which was incredibly noisy until early morning so that was not too pleasant. But the rest of the stay was relatively quiet at nighttime.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel with the caveat that it can be potentially very noisy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TonyMontreal888
Craig P, Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Please let us know the next time you're in the area so we can place you on a quieter part of the building, further from the street noise. (And maybe grab a few Firecakes donuts for you too!).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Duvall, Washington
Reviewed 23 July 2014

How did my son spend his first night in Chicago in the ER? By his father, a 15 year SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) member using points to stay at the Aloft Chicago Center.

We arrived on a Thursday night/Friday morning at 1am- an hour after our flight landed at O'Hare. As we entered, I knew I'd done a good job picking a newer, fun hotel for our dad and son trip for the summer to see the Cubs play at Wrigley. My son was thrilled- commented that this hotel was really "high tech". He was happy.

Unfortunately, it went downhill almost immediately. We were informed that the hotel was "oversold"- and that they were going to try to find us alternate lodging in the city, which might be difficult as the city was very busy and oversold in general. Wonderful- the HOURS I spent looking for a newer hotel for my son and I to stay just went down the drain. Not to mention the fixed cost towncar I had from the airport to any hotel in the city had just left us stranded with no where to go. I asked to speak with the manager on duty- in a 45 minute time period and after a 2nd request to speak with him "Jonathan"- he never showed and left the front desk clerk with a "guilty" look on his face.

The front desk clerk- who actually was very helpful and pretty embarrassed by this situation- told us that the manager who won't show himself suggested that we stay at the Burnham hotel. Long story short- the Burnham hotel staff was great, but the room was VERY dusty. When I closed the curtains for my son to sleep (its now like 230am) he has an asthma attack- the 2nd in his life- and we are off to the ER. So, at 315am or so, we are at the ER in Chicago, and I need to find us a new hotel- again. And the city is sold out. And all of my plans- airfare, Cubs tickets, hotel stay, towncar, is falling apart. All because aloft walked a 15 year SPG member who had made a reservation over a month in advance.

I'll be honest- as I kept calling hotels from the ER and couldn't find one with a room, and its rapidly approaching 5am in Chicago, I thought I might just get our bags and leave for the airport, and give up on this awful awful trip to Chicago. All because of the aloft...

Finally one of the hotel docs gave me a list of three non chain hotels in Chicago- I called the first one and they took care of us. See my review for the Godfrey Hotel in Chicago. Recommended. Why do I recommend the Godfrey? Because of the aloft...

We took a cab from the ER back to the Burnham, left my son in the lobby with the very nice front desk guy, got our bags, and headed to the Godfrey. All because of the aloft...

My son finally got to sleep at 530am. I was in tears watching him fall asleep- his weekend was now shot- kids don't bounce back from all nighters. All because of the aloft...

We finally made the game- 4 innings in. My son was a zombie for the game. Because of the aloft...

We didn't go out to dinner after the game- he was shot, beat down tired, and just wanted to go to bed. All because of the aloft- no Chicago pizza for us.

Next day we slept in, and went to another game before we went to the airport... had a better day, but the weekend wasn't as planned- all because of the aloft...

The GM at the aloft responded to an email I sent him complaining. They offered my points back (wow!) for the room they couldn't give me. They gave me 15% more points as an apology. And they even offered two free room nights. Whoa. So if I commit to another $1000 in airfare, take a weekend off from the rest of my family and try again, I get two free rooms- and the uncertainty that I might get walked again? No way- I don't trust aloft, or any Starwood property...

ALL BECAUSE OF THE aloft ....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank j0hnbull
Craig P, General Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
On behalf of the hotel, we sincerely apologize again for the unfortunate circumstances that occurred the evening you had a reservation at our hotel. While we cannot give back the weekend that you had planned with your son, we would still be happy to host you on another weekend complimentary. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel should you wish to do so.
Poland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed there just for 1 night, for coincidence (being moved by another hotel due to overbooking) but the 1 night was really great. We got beautiful room, with extremely comfortable beds, big bathroom and the wardrobe. Nice and modern, clean and tidy, very nice staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Craig P, Manager at Aloft Chicago City Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for staying at our City Center location! We are happy you enjoyed your time with us!
Midwest Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The aloft is located in a great location in the loop. The hotel rooms are clean, modern, and comfortable. My only complaint is the noise. My room was on the 2nd floor right outside the hvac system and likely dumpsters too. Every few minutes throughout my stay there was a load mechanical knocking sound. I had ear plugs and was still able to hear the annoying noise. I would request a room away from this noise and/or a higher floor to see if it is still a problem.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. Please let us know the next time you are staying with us so we can ensure you get a higher floor room.
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a very hip and fun hotel-love the busy lobby that seems to be buzzing all the time with Cafe Beatrix in it- hotel is a bit stark but comfortable & a friendly staff- cannot beat the location- clean, new- fun decor

Green Features: Very green- lots of new things to help conserve - lighting, shower, materials used
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the great review! We can't wait to have you back again!
Edgewater, Florida, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Not only is this hotel in the heart of downtown, it's close to various colleges, the shopping areas and countless cool eateries. We checked in and found we had a crappy view. We asked to change rooms to a better skyline view and the front desk was absolutely great about the change. They knew are faces and strived to know our names. The room was large and comfortable. The beds were great. Only downside is parking like $45 a night. Use other options for that which is way cheaper. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kev313
Thank you for the great review! I am happy our front desk was able to accomodate a better view for you. Come back and see us again soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Andres, was by far one of the best front desk guys I've ever had check me in. I highly recommend this hotel. It's accommodating as well as friendly. Valet may want learn to smile a little more, I understand that the hotel is busy but if a guess is checking in, they shouldn't feel rushed to move their vehicle if they are not valet parking. Other then that, great hotel, location as well as amazing, friendly staff. I highly recommend and shall return.

Room Tip: Call in request prior to checking in. Hotels are busy, accommodating guest is much easier. Then you...