“Surprisingly Good Value!”

Hyatt Place Chicago / River North
Ranked #51 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A clean, no frills, centrally located hotel with surprisingly low rates.

Checkin was easy with two people working the desk, my room was clean and well stocked with free water. My bed was comfortable and the furniture in the room either appeared to be new or highly durable.

Not a place I'd stay on a romantic weekend getaway but a prefect solution for business travel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

We’re not satisfied until you’re satisfied. That’s why Hyatt Place was awarded “Highest in Guest Satisfaction Among Upscale Hotel Chains” by J.D. Power in 2013 as well as ranked #1 Select-Service Brand by Business Travel News. While we understand our business travelers, we also find that our guests visiting for leisure enjoy all of our amenities and value. You should try us for a romantic getaway, I'm confident we could properly set the mood.

Hyatt Place Chicago River North Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on December 27th. Rooms are furnished in minimalist fashion, but it works. Our standard king room had a pull put sofa bed too. We weren't traveling with children, but this seems like an excellent value for parents traveling with up to 2 kids. Add in the free breakfast which includes eggs, sausage,fruit, sweet rolls, etc and you have an unbeatable value. Wi-Fi is free in the rooms too.

For adults, you are in the heart of chicago action. The hotel is within 1 or 2 blocks of dozens of excellent restaurants and bars.

Greeting at the front desk was excellent. They aim to please here.

The comments about fire engine sirens are true, though we didn't notice it much at night because our room was in the back of the hotel. Perhaps management might be able to communicate with the fire department or city ombudsman about asking the local station house to turn on their sirens after they are a block or 2 away. Where I live, the local hospitals request that ambulances turn off their sirens on final approach to the hospitals in deference to those that live nearby.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay, and we have to agree that we are a great value for Chicago. I do like your suggestion for the fire station, however, if would be a request that only they can honor. We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We took the Amtrak in from Michigan to Union Station, for a whirlwind overnight in Chicago. We had just stayed at a Hyatt Place in Columbus Ohio and decided to try another Hyatt Place to compare, and this one was great. The cab fare from Union Station to the Hyatt was about $10, although if the weather had been very nice we might have walked.

We were checked in immediately and given a very nice room with a view of the city. The front desk person was very friendly and informative and helpful about our stay and needs. She took a doubletake on Chip saying he looked like their general manager, which gave us all a laugh.

Our room was very nice and we like the layout better than the HP in Columbus, although the room seemed slightly smaller, narrower. The bathroom was particularly better. We had no issues with our heating or cooling, no noise issues, everything was clean and orderly. The hotel is situated almost directly across the street from the fire station so you would expect a certain amount of noise, but on that night we heard very little (dec 23).

The hotel was so close to everything we were looking to do and see. Our number one attraction was visiting three dots and a dash, which is located off an alley directly across the street from the front door of the hotel. For a great cocktail experience we would recommend visiting this establishment and then walking 50 steps to your hotel room.

We did have a couple of issues with the revolving door as it would stop suddenly and I smashed my nose into it at least once. When we came down for breakfast the next day we were one of the first to arrive, and all was fresh hot and delicious. We did not know how long it would take to get a cab to take us to Union station so the front desk clerk called one for us. It arrived in about 2 minutes which did not give us much time to eat the wonderful breakfast.

We will definitely be back to this hotel anytime we visit Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank StephNOwen

Greetings Steph and Chip,

Thank you for your review! While we treat all of our guests with same level of service, it never hurts to look like the General Manager. I had a good laugh myself reading your review, and I am pleased you had a fun, whirlwind visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The room was cold or hot with an unbearably noisy (cheap) window air unit. The Hotel housekeeping was of the mark entirely. My room was ignored even after I asked at front desk to be sure it was handled. It wasn't and I ended up doing sheets myself as none of the myriad of staff could find the time !! The Hot water is almost nonexistent. Not what you want for a shower. There is simply no excuse. Whomever owns this hotel (Hyatt runs it), they should be ashamed and offer refunds for torture.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. you will get better quality from a hostel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Greetings Mr Cannon,

I apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please know that we hold a higher standard for our guests, and we accept responsibility for the issues you encountered. Please feel welcome to contact me so we can do our best to deliver a better experience to you.

Hyatt Place Chicago River North

Reviewed 23 December 2013

First, this is a relatively new hotel and the rooms and public areas show it. Unworn and up to date. Second, this is a big city, there are noises, nightclubs, emergency vehicles at all hours; stay in the suburbs if you want total quiet, the Hyatt does offer earplugs which work very well. Third, when it's a full hotel, personal service at a free breakfast is the exception not the rule - deal with it. We did have an issue with the plumbing, disgusting really, but engineering was prompt and found a work around. Management has promised to make up for the inconvenience with points but I haven't seen them yet, I'll give it a few more days. Overall, nice stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We apologize that you encountered maintenance concerns during your stay, but I am pleased that our Engineering team quickly resolved the issue. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you and aim to deliver the flawless experience you deserve,

Best,

Reviewed 23 December 2013

An easy walk from the Clark/Lake CTA station, and close to the Magnificent Mile. My first time for me in Chicago and I would definitely consider staying here again. Fresh decor and nice spacious rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze, even during the busy holdiay period (I checked in on December 20, 2013).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

David,

I am delighted to hear that during your first time in Chicago we made a great impression. We love this city, and we don't want any of our guests to leave until we have convinced them to love it as much as we do. Thanks for being our guest, and know you are always welcome at the Hyatt Place Chicago River North.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 December 2013

While our condo is being remodelled, my husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Place for three nights. We live a few blocks from the hotel, so we're accustomed to the fire engines and late night parties. Our stay was a Monday - Thursday (in the winter) so there were no loud parties or anything so the noise is very bearable. Our room had two queen beds and all Queen rooms do face the fire house - keep that in mind when booking if you're a light sleeper.

Location wise - it's perfect and close to all the action and restaurants and very close to the loop.

The room and bathroom are very modern and large. As another reviewer mentioned, they only provide soap, shampoo and conditioner. Bare basics. Wifi is free and we had a great connection with no problems. They also have a few computers in the lobby that you can use and print from.

Only issues I had was the heat / AC. As another reviewer mentioned, the location of the air vents is AWFUL. It literallyl blew on me the entire night. And despite setting the temperature correctly, it did not shut off the entire night. I felt I was up every few hours adjusting the temperature b/c it was either too hot or too cold.

The other minor issue was the breakfast selection. Personally, I did not feel it lived up to expecations. There were only three small hot items each day - it was mostly pastries and donuts. And the fruit provided (the one time I tried it) was not that great.

All in all - a great stay for a local Chicagoan, though I'm not sure I would stay again - given all the other options in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side are quieter...also choose one on a upper level. The fire house is on Illino...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JenniferLynn

Greetings Jennifer Lynn,

We hope you are settled and cozy in your renovated condo. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, but as a fellow Chicagoan I want to convince you there is no better option in the city. We do offer shampoo, conditioner and soap, but we have many additional amenities available by request, such as nail polish, curling irons, lotion, etc. I know we have a great breakfast, and I would love to have another opportunity to offer you to sample our offerings. I am confident that we have the best complimentary breakfast in town. We have addressed the issue with the vents in the rooms, so know this won't impact any future guests.

Thanks again for choosing our hotel, and please consider giving us another chance to make you love the Hyatt Place.

Hyatt Place Chicago River North