“I wanted to really love it...”

Hyatt Place Chicago / River North
Ranked #51 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I came way with mixed feelings about this property. We had a fantastic view of the city--awesome, in fact, with the Sears Tower (sorry, "Willis" people) in full view. The property is very clean and the room still had that new-carpet smell. It's a new property, well placed in the middle of the vibrant River North neighborhood and directly across the street from Rick Bayless' restaurants (you really must get a torta at Xoco and a doughnut at nearby Firecakes). Michigan Avenue is only about a 10-to-15-minute walk away and it's not terribly far to attractions like Navy Pier (don't be sad if you miss out) or the museums. Meanwhile, the beds were comfortable--and large. Usually, Hyatt Places (at least the ones I frequent) have double beds; this property had queens. Thank goodness! In terms of the staff, they were great. From check in to check out, they were courteous, welcoming, and professional, all of which keeps me loyal to the Hyatt Place brand. The hotel has 17 floors, and that's perfectly okay in principle. It's a large property as Hyatt Places go. However, the area in which they serve breakfast is no larger (it seemed) than any other breakfast area in any other Hyatt Place. While the seating area was much larger when compared to other Hyatt Place properties (thank you!), 17 floors of guests were in line to go through a small (no larger than 15X15) space to grab food. Also, the hotel is right across from a fire station, so expect some noise, especially if you get a room on the side that bestows the great view of the Sears Tower. The hotel does supply ear plugs, but, frankly, the ruckus wasn't too bad. It's worth the view! Lighter sleepers might have a bigger problem, though. Down the hall, drunken guys apparently reliving their frat days at South-Southeastern Illinois Tech for the Aloof ("Dude!", etc.), in addition to some wannabe divas without volume controls, were louder and much more annoying than any fire engine. Calls down to the front desk immediately resulted in a visit by security--problem solved. One issue in the room was the sliding glass door leading into the bathroom. It looked cool. However, it was clumsy, heavy, and was sometimes difficult for kids (and even adults) to use. Moreover, the air conditioning was pretty loud and blew right upon one of our two queen beds. One last thing: parking is expensive: $47 a day, with in and out privileges. Valet parking costs more. The garage is about a block away, so use the drop off/pick up area at the hotel for baggage, etc. I have to say, though, that when combining the room rate and the parking rate, the overall cost is reasonable for a nice property in the middle of all the action in Chicago. This property is a good, solid choice for the price and the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Joshua S, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your extensive and entertaining review. Candid reviews like yours help us improve our hotel and provide a great service to fellow travelers. Not only did you share your experience at our hotel, you shared your experience in Chicago. Thank you for your review and efforts.

Safe and Splendid Travels,

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,896)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Location and amenities and price of this hotel were a 10 out of 10 for our family. we booked two rooms, the double queen bed and sofa sleeper room was extremely spacious and comfortable for our children and my husband and I had a lovely king bed and corner sofa room. Staff was very helpful, engaging and friendly. The included breakfast was great and the coffee was very conveniently located for quick access near the elevator.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

We hope you had a lovely time at the wedding! It's great to hear that your room was comfortable and the staff was engaging. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and look forward to your next arrival.

Best,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our visit was the first week of May. We flew in and got there very early expecting to ask for them to hold our luggage before our room was ready, but Joy at the front desk said there was a room ready for us. Every morning Joy was at the front desk to greet us with a smile and was very happy to help us with whatever we needed. When visiting Chicago again we will stay here and hope to see Joy's smiling face.

Room Tip: There is a fire station across the street. Our room was at the other end, so don't know if the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to commend Joy for her attention to guest service. I'm honored to have her on our team, and we benefit from her smile and professionalism as much as our guests. I will be certain to share your comments with her. Thank you for being our guest, and for sharing your review.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The rooms we stayed had bathrooms that didn't lock or was never set up. We had to call maintenance to come fix it and they end up fixing one door only. Then out of the three nights we stayed, our rooms were cleaned once only, which we indicated that we needed our rooms cleaned. Our toiletries and towels never got replaced and we had to call the front desk to request new towels and toilet paper. There were five people per room, so of course, we would use up a lot of toilet paper and towels. We paid so much for a room, so we deserve good service and accommodations. I wouldn't stay there again nor recommend anyone to stay there based on these important things.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your recent visit. Your experience is not indicative of our standards, and I an disappointed that you received anything less than great service. Please feel welcome to contact me so I may look further into this. Ordinarily, housekeeping would only skip service to honor a do-not-disturb sign, so I would like to address what prevented you from receiving service during your stay.

Please consider staying with us again in the near future so we may do our best to deliver the stay you deserve.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

For the money, this is a very good hotel. It is in a good location, near the subway and in walking distance of many restaurants and (if you don't mind walking a mile) Navy Pier and Millennium Park. We even found a Walgreens a couple of blocks away where we bought some water for our mini-fridge. Other pluses: the staff was very friendly and helpful; everything looked clean; the room had a huge window with effective dark shades for nighttime; the bed and pillows were very comfortable; there were outlets by the bed (as well as elsewhere); the bathroom had a nice double-walk in shower (which I prefer to tubs); and the free breakfast offered a variety of food (the eggs weren't great but I enjoyed the cereal and milk and could have had fruit, yogurt, oatmeal or pastries). There were a few negatives though: the nightstands next to the bed did not include drawers. I like to have a few things next to my bed but don't like leaving them out in the open. I missed the convenience of stashing things in the drawers by the bed. Also, the A/C was up high on the wall directly across from the bed so I would get chilled when I had the A/C running. I found that I could turn it off and the room would stay comfortable for awhile but if it had been a hotter day, that would have annoyed me more. I also found the noise to be more than I expected both from out in the street (people do like to blow their car horns!) and the hallway but, to the hotel's credit, they did supply ear plugs. Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We value your feedback, and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We would love to have you back as our guest! On your next visit, we recommend a room facing the rear of the building. The building shields the roar of the city and allows for a more tranquil experience. Please feel welcome to contact me prior to your next arrival so I may note your requests for a quiet room.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Walkable to everything. Clean. Safe. Affordable for middle -income people. Would recommend for anyone. Loved the shades in the room instead of blackout curtains. Not a place to lounge in, but a very good place to have a good night's sleep and a really nice shower.....hot fast and good pressure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

No complaints! Excellent service, DeWayne takes care of every detail & gets you where you need to be! I would suggest that some of the breakfast offerings be available in single serve rather than family style. Yogurt to be the first, too tempting for children to play in. Hot entrees a delight! Great location! Thanks!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family