“Enjoyable stay, great location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #16 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Enjoyable stay, great location”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Live in the Chicago suburbs and stay downtown occasionally with the wife on nights of work events and such. This is the only category 5 Marriott left in downtown Chicago, though I hear that it is going to 6 soon. I am disappointed with Marriott for "upping" the categories on many of their hotels. The rewards credit card gives me a free night at a level 1 - 5 and now that will not even get me one night in Chicago going forward? Anyway, back to the review. At check in, staff was very courteous and gave me an "upgrade" on the room on a Saturday night. The room was quite large with a separate sitting area, a couch, 2 TVs, etc. The views are nothing to speak off, looked into an alley for the most part. Room was clean, updated, comfortable, quiet. Had breakfast on the 2nd level. It is the largest free breakfast setup I have ever seen! Lots of people but I was amazed at how well the staff kept up with demand. Valet parking is expensive ($62) but probably market price for the area. We used SpotHero app on iPhone to park at parked nearby for $26. Location of this hotel is awesome for restaurants and clubs. My company had an event at Underground and it was next door! Also had dinner at RPM (Italian) next door and it was fantastic. There are several top notch restaurants within 2 blocks (e.g. Maestro's, Frontera Grill, RPM, Sullivans). All in all, this hotel is as nice as the other Marriotts in the River North area and you should not pay more to stay at the others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip into the city and for taking the time to review our hotel! Nothing is official that we are moving to the Category 6, however that is the plan that Marriott International has shared with us and we want to give all of our guests proper notice should those plans actualize. I also want to thank you for commending our breakfast team on their efforts in keeping up with the masses - some mornings it seems impossible, however they continue to keep up with the demand with smiles on their faces! Hope we get to see you back again sometime soon!

Matt Noonan, Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for just one night using Marriott Rewards points. I found the stay to be pleasant and didn't encounter any issues. The staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was slightly more than standard issue for a Fairfield Inn. The hotel is newer, so the updates are much appreciated. My room had a large bathroom with a quasi-living room set-up and a great view of the city. The only negative I found was what they advertise as "on-site" parking is actually 2 blocks away in a parking garage attached to the Springhill/Residence Inn Marriott properties. Not a big deal, just a little misleading.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for adding to our online reputation with such a positive review! I am happy to see that you enjoyed the staff and the amenities provided, however I am concerned about the misleading information you discovered. If you would be so kind to contact the hotel at 312-836-1700 or email me at matthew.noonan@whitelodging.com and share where you found a description of on-site parking as we only do offer off-site and valet as stated on our Marriott website. Glad to see that it did not significantly affect your stay, however we want to make sure it doesn't impact any of our future guests as well!

Genesee Depot, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I took my wife down to see Justin Timberlake at the United Center on Sunday and we decided to give the new Fairfield Inn a shot. I found a rate at $90 using my AAA. I joined the Marriott rewards program and requested a high floor and extra pillows. The hotel is very nice and new, very nice check in crew, cool key card locks (no insert, just swipe) and fast available elevators. The thing that soured my mood right upon arrival was the $62/night valet parking! That is outrageous for a property like this. They had a $47 self-park option, but it was 2 blocks away (weather was terrible).
The check in was fast (5 mins at the most) and we were off to the room. They gave us a high floor as requested, corner room on the 16th floor (1645). Room smelled fresh upon opening the door, temperature was just right, clean and large King bed (they forgot the extra pillows though). The standard non-suite rooms are a bit on the small side, but nice for two people. Nice flat screen TV with HBO, good lighting, frig and coffee maker. View was beautiful. The bathroom was BIG, huge shower could fit 4 ppl in it! Clean, nice toiletries, fluffy towels...perfect! No exhaust fan though. Sleeping was just OK, mattress was on the cheap side and the Fire Department across the street was busy all night, lots of sirens (typical in the city I guess). Breakfast the next morning was just OK as well. Standard fare, but free. The hot choices were so-so. The fellow that was working the breakfast was GREAT, very personal willing to help everyone out with newspapers or coffee. Great employee! Location is fantastic, close to Fado (great Irish Pub), Maggianos and many others. Uber Cab picked us up right in front of the hotel.

Overall, I WOULD recommend the hotel for price, cleanliness and location, but I would like to see the parking rates a bit lower, better food at the breakfast, and upgrade the mattresses.

Room Tip: Room 1645 is great, ask for a corner room on a high floor opposite the Fire Station! Breakfast is o...
1 Thank Mafia32470
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to add to our online reputation! I am happy to see that overall you did enjoy the service of our staff and the facilities in the hotel and that you would recommend us to others, much appreciated. In regards the price of parking, unfortunately that is something that we cannot directly control as we must partner with a separate garage since we do not have a garage ourselves. That coupled with the fact that the City of Chicago increased parking taxes twice in 2013 is what leads to the price offered, however for unlimited in-and-out privileges we are very competitive within the market. I hope that all of the good you mentioned outweighed the negative and that we will be able to accommodate you again sometime soon!

Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I chose this hotel for several reasons. Location was the main reason, and since I was using Marriott points for three nights, it was the best value. I was in town with my daughter for President's Weekend to visit colleges and do some shopping. I valet parked my car, at $62 a day. I was not shocked by this price, since I was staying on points. I had in/out privileges all day and they were very prompt with the car. No problems at all.
Our room was larger than most Marriott rooms I have been in. And the bathroom was even larger than most.
The free breakfast was typical, nothing special. Eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, yogurt and cereal. It is nice to have this perk when you have a busy weekend planned.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I stopped at the front desk with some sort of question each morning.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city. It is a short walk to The Magnificent Mile and a short cab ride to many other attractions.
Don't be alarmed by the fact that there are earplugs in your room. If you are a light sleeper like me, you will need them. The fire station is directly across the street and the sirens are almost constant. At one point my daughter said "Is the whole city on fire?" It would not deter me from staying here again, but it is something to make a note of.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to give such a comprehensive recap of your stay! I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with the level of service and accommodations provided during your stay and that you were not horribly disturbed by the Chicago Fire Department. Keeping our city safe can pose some challenges to us being their neighbors, however I thank you very much for recognizing that it should not deter people from our location. Hope we are able to see you back soon!

Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Fairfield Inn is in a great location for a visit to the city. There is a very short walk to the Red Line train. The neighborhood is full of restaurant options. Hotel serves a nice free breakfast including eggs, sausage, fruit, waffles and other typical hotel breakfast foods. The rooms are about the size you would expect for a city hotel (compact). The room itself was very nice though. Everything you might need including a refrigerator and coffee maker. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of some of the surrounding restaurants and things that our city has to offer. Thank you for the excellent review and we definitely appreciate your intent to return to us in the future!

Until Next Time,
New berlin
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was one of the nicest and newest Fairfields I have stayed in. Spacious suite with plenty of room, quite on our floor, lucky for us and one of the best concierge breakfasts and facility I've been in a while.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to recognize our Fairfield as being one of the newest and nicest you've experienced. Our breakfast team certainly takes pride in their work and rightfully so as they work extremely hard to keep up with the demand while keeping that friendly personality. Hope that you will return soon!

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Selected this hotel primarily because I had a free night certificate and this was the only category 5 hotel available in downtown Chicago, and I had read all of the positive reviews on TA. They were not wrong. We dropped our car with valet which has a convenient canopy off street so you can get out of the bad weather and not be stressed about blocking traffic. All the staff from valet to front desk were extremely welcoming and friendly. We mentioned that we would arrive around noon on our reservation, and our room was ready with all of our Marriott Gold status requests were accomodated. This is not always possible, but appreciated.

Our room was very clean and still has that "new room" smell to it. We had a room on the back side of the hotel and we could hear siren noises while awake, but this did not disturb our sleep. Earplug were provided for light sleepers. The room itself was pretty typical of most FFI's, but with a bit of a more modern twist in terms of furnishings. Instead of a closet, there was a clever wardrobe/coat rack/shelving unit for coffee maker and mini fridge. The bathroom had a nice large shower and plenty of towels and amenity products.

We were only at this property for one night, so we did not take advantage of the business or fitness centers, but both were available. The breakfast was also similar to other FFI's with make your own waffles, plenty of cereals, breads etc. I was pleased to see they had scrambled eggs and sausage patties also. The dining area was huge- a pleasant surprise because so many of often feel over crowded. I think even on a high traffic weekend this would have been adequate space. Also had a great view of the street with lots of natural light.

Don't let the fact that there is a fire station across the street put you off. You will hear sirens in nearly any downtown hotel at some point. Use the earplugs provided. If you have kids, let them enjoy watching the fire trucks =)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
I want to thank you for your wonderfully comprehensive recap! Glad to see that you were able to take advantage of most of the amenities that we offer and that you enjoyed the staff and accommodations provided. I too agree with you about the fire department, so I am very happy to see that you were not distrurbed while sleeping. Book before March 15th as that is when we switch to a Category 6, but you can stay at anytime during the year as a 5 if you book before then. We look forward to seeing you back soon!