Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland, Ohio
“really good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

had to make a quick trip to chicago and ended up staying at this property. was quite impressed with this newer property. great location. easy walking distance to michigan ave. and much of downtown. check-in was quick and very efficient. rooms are spacious, clean, and very well appointed. bed was quite comfortable and there was a very usable work space. self parking is about two blocks away which is a bit of an inconvenience but at the end of the day is ok. super excercise room. really enjoyed this property and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and that you would return in the future. We do offer unlimited in and out privileges for our valet service should that interest you for your next visit!

Regards,
Matt Noonan, Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Jones, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Both times was to stay in Chicago for a special event. In December 2013 we stayed to go to House of Blues for a concert. It was a nice short walk to the House of Blues from the hotel. The second time was in March of 2013 to go to Phantom of the Opera. It was well within walking distance again to the theater and the new Gino's East. I will stay at this hotel again when staying in Chicago. The staff is nice and always helpful. The hotel is clean and I have always been happy with my room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Fantastic! Glad you have enjoyed your stays with us, thank you for being a loyal guest, and we look forward to your return!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Live in the Chicago suburbs and stay downtown occasionally with the wife on nights of work events and such. This is the only category 5 Marriott left in downtown Chicago, though I hear that it is going to 6 soon. I am disappointed with Marriott for "upping" the categories on many of their hotels. The rewards credit card gives me a free night at a level 1 - 5 and now that will not even get me one night in Chicago going forward? Anyway, back to the review. At check in, staff was very courteous and gave me an "upgrade" on the room on a Saturday night. The room was quite large with a separate sitting area, a couch, 2 TVs, etc. The views are nothing to speak off, looked into an alley for the most part. Room was clean, updated, comfortable, quiet. Had breakfast on the 2nd level. It is the largest free breakfast setup I have ever seen! Lots of people but I was amazed at how well the staff kept up with demand. Valet parking is expensive ($62) but probably market price for the area. We used SpotHero app on iPhone to park at parked nearby for $26. Location of this hotel is awesome for restaurants and clubs. My company had an event at Underground and it was next door! Also had dinner at RPM (Italian) next door and it was fantastic. There are several top notch restaurants within 2 blocks (e.g. Maestro's, Frontera Grill, RPM, Sullivans). All in all, this hotel is as nice as the other Marriotts in the River North area and you should not pay more to stay at the others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip into the city and for taking the time to review our hotel! Nothing is official that we are moving to the Category 6, however that is the plan that Marriott International has shared with us and we want to give all of our guests proper notice should those plans actualize. I also want to thank you for commending our breakfast team on their efforts in keeping up with the masses - some mornings it seems impossible, however they continue to keep up with the demand with smiles on their faces! Hope we get to see you back again sometime soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for just one night using Marriott Rewards points. I found the stay to be pleasant and didn't encounter any issues. The staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was slightly more than standard issue for a Fairfield Inn. The hotel is newer, so the updates are much appreciated. My room had a large bathroom with a quasi-living room set-up and a great view of the city. The only negative I found was what they advertise as "on-site" parking is actually 2 blocks away in a parking garage attached to the Springhill/Residence Inn Marriott properties. Not a big deal, just a little misleading.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for adding to our online reputation with such a positive review! I am happy to see that you enjoyed the staff and the amenities provided, however I am concerned about the misleading information you discovered. If you would be so kind to contact the hotel at 312-836-1700 or email me at matthew.noonan@whitelodging.com and share where you found a description of on-site parking as we only do offer off-site and valet as stated on our Marriott website. Glad to see that it did not significantly affect your stay, however we want to make sure it doesn't impact any of our future guests as well!

Genesee Depot, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I took my wife down to see Justin Timberlake at the United Center on Sunday and we decided to give the new Fairfield Inn a shot. I found a rate at $90 using my AAA. I joined the Marriott rewards program and requested a high floor and extra pillows. The hotel is very nice and new, very nice check in crew, cool key card locks (no insert, just swipe) and fast available elevators. The thing that soured my mood right upon arrival was the $62/night valet parking! That is outrageous for a property like this. They had a $47 self-park option, but it was 2 blocks away (weather was terrible).
The check in was fast (5 mins at the most) and we were off to the room. They gave us a high floor as requested, corner room on the 16th floor (1645). Room smelled fresh upon opening the door, temperature was just right, clean and large King bed (they forgot the extra pillows though). The standard non-suite rooms are a bit on the small side, but nice for two people. Nice flat screen TV with HBO, good lighting, frig and coffee maker. View was beautiful. The bathroom was BIG, huge shower could fit 4 ppl in it! Clean, nice toiletries, fluffy towels...perfect! No exhaust fan though. Sleeping was just OK, mattress was on the cheap side and the Fire Department across the street was busy all night, lots of sirens (typical in the city I guess). Breakfast the next morning was just OK as well. Standard fare, but free. The hot choices were so-so. The fellow that was working the breakfast was GREAT, very personal willing to help everyone out with newspapers or coffee. Great employee! Location is fantastic, close to Fado (great Irish Pub), Maggianos and many others. Uber Cab picked us up right in front of the hotel.

Overall, I WOULD recommend the hotel for price, cleanliness and location, but I would like to see the parking rates a bit lower, better food at the breakfast, and upgrade the mattresses.

Room Tip: Room 1645 is great, ask for a corner room on a high floor opposite the Fire Station! Breakfast is o...
1 Thank Mafia32470
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to add to our online reputation! I am happy to see that overall you did enjoy the service of our staff and the facilities in the hotel and that you would recommend us to others, much appreciated. In regards the price of parking, unfortunately that is something that we cannot directly control as we must partner with a separate garage since we do not have a garage ourselves. That coupled with the fact that the City of Chicago increased parking taxes twice in 2013 is what leads to the price offered, however for unlimited in-and-out privileges we are very competitive within the market. I hope that all of the good you mentioned outweighed the negative and that we will be able to accommodate you again sometime soon!

Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I chose this hotel for several reasons. Location was the main reason, and since I was using Marriott points for three nights, it was the best value. I was in town with my daughter for President's Weekend to visit colleges and do some shopping. I valet parked my car, at $62 a day. I was not shocked by this price, since I was staying on points. I had in/out privileges all day and they were very prompt with the car. No problems at all.
Our room was larger than most Marriott rooms I have been in. And the bathroom was even larger than most.
The free breakfast was typical, nothing special. Eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, yogurt and cereal. It is nice to have this perk when you have a busy weekend planned.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I stopped at the front desk with some sort of question each morning.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city. It is a short walk to The Magnificent Mile and a short cab ride to many other attractions.
Don't be alarmed by the fact that there are earplugs in your room. If you are a light sleeper like me, you will need them. The fire station is directly across the street and the sirens are almost constant. At one point my daughter said "Is the whole city on fire?" It would not deter me from staying here again, but it is something to make a note of.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to give such a comprehensive recap of your stay! I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with the level of service and accommodations provided during your stay and that you were not horribly disturbed by the Chicago Fire Department. Keeping our city safe can pose some challenges to us being their neighbors, however I thank you very much for recognizing that it should not deter people from our location. Hope we are able to see you back soon!

Fenton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Fairfield Inn is in a great location for a visit to the city. There is a very short walk to the Red Line train. The neighborhood is full of restaurant options. Hotel serves a nice free breakfast including eggs, sausage, fruit, waffles and other typical hotel breakfast foods. The rooms are about the size you would expect for a city hotel (compact). The room itself was very nice though. Everything you might need including a refrigerator and coffee maker. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of some of the surrounding restaurants and things that our city has to offer. Thank you for the excellent review and we definitely appreciate your intent to return to us in the future!

Until Next Time,