“Great location for a great urban hotel”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #19 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North in mid-March 2014 for three nights. We were attending a convention at the nearby Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive but the room rate at the Fairfield Inn was much better (even after a discount at the Hyatt for convention attendees) and we are both BIG fans of Marriott hotels. Great experience! It was good to see how Marriott's Fairfield Inn hotel brand was interpreted in an urban setting like downtown Chicago. Excellent decor, both in the rather smallish lobby area and in the ample size guest rooms. Huge breakfast area with large picture windows overlooking the local street scene. All our usual Marriott breakfast favorites were available and, of course, breakfast was free (as always at Fairfield Inns). The hotel is located just a short Red Line train ride away, north of the downtown loop, if that's what you're interested in seeing and doing. And it’s only a very short walk east towards the lake to the Magnificent Mile, which means art galleries, shopping, eating, theatre, etc. Great location! We reserved our rooms using a Marriott senior discount (62 yrs. +) and the room rate was only $135 per night for 2 double beds. You can also get lodging for $151 per night (king bed) with a AAA card. Either way, you can save quite a bit off the standard rate of $159 per night which really isn't bad either, when you consider you're staying in downtown Chicago in a pretty darned good hotel!

Room Tip: Just remember that the hotel is right across the street from a downtown Chicago fire station, which...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter G
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for the excellent rating! I am happy that you were able to take full advantage of the surrounding area and that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We just returned from the Fairfield Inn at River North. I'm a native Chicagoan and wondered about the location, but it is fabulous and very safe. Located in a very hopping part of the city and within walking distance to lots of places in the city, especially on a nice day. Chicago is a very, very walkable city and the walk to either Michigan Ave. and the Magnificent Mile, or to the loop and Willis (Sears) Tower, is lovely and doable. You will need a cab to places like Second City or the Field Museum, though.
The rooms are large and clean for a city hotel. We had four in the room, and it was fine. The hotel is very contemporary, as most of these Marriott brand hotels are. This one is new, and it shows. Very clean, very fresh, little wear and tear. Beds and pillows were super comfy, good water pressure...the breakfast is what you'd expect: Scrambled "eggs", all sorts of muffins and breads, sausage, potatoes, cereal, a bit of fruit...and plenty of places to sit, even during busy times.
The area is safe. It is very trendy and filled with people at night. In fact I walked back by myself one night from Harry Caray's (about 3 blocks away) and it was fine. I am from Chicago, so I am a little more fearless I guess than most, but we even walked to the Rock and Roll McDonald's at like midnight and felt safe. There is lots of security at the hotel, too. It's a city. So you always have to watch yourself. But I'd be more concerned about crime staying closer to the loop, actually.
The staff, as has been noted, is phenomenal. Matt Noonan is very sweet and attentive and the rest of the folks who work there are too. You can tell when people who work in a hotel or restaurant or shop are happy. They pass it on to the customer or client. Otherwise they can be sulky and rude. Obviously, he's a pretty good manager, because morale and friendliness at the hotel is probably the highest I've seen it at any hotel....ever.
There is a fire dept. across the street, and we did hear them during the day. But it wasn't really intrusive and we had no issues at night. We faced the front of the hotel, and I am a horribly light sleeper, but I didn't hear the night club or the fire dept. I always wear ear plugs on vacation because I always have a hard time sleeping but I slept deeply!! It's a city. It has city noises. But we weren't disturbed. Maybe ask for a room higher up? We were on the 12th floor and were fine. The maid, one morning, was loud....but bless her, she was so friendly when I asked for more towels sleepily and apologized for waking us. They really do bend over backwards to make you happy there. I brought teens and I went out alone one night and the front desk was really good about talking to the kids and being friendly when they came down to get snacks.
Overall, I think this is an easy choice for visitors to the city. Warm and welcoming and brand new with a good location all for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room higher up? Or, if you're concerned about the fire dept, don'...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CathRun
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

CathRun,

Easily one of the nicest and most comprehensive reviews I have ever seen! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. The mission of our hotel is to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and I am very pleased to see that this was your experience during your stay. We look forward to seeing you back sometime soon and thank you again, much appreciated!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family and I are loyal Marriott customers, so choosing to stay at Fairfield was an easy selection. Affordable, clean & great service as always. We had a 2 queen room with a roomy bathroom but hardly any closet space. Mediocre breakfast included.

The hotel is in the absolute perfect location as everything is at most a 20 minute walk. So many great restaurants, stores on State St. & Michigan Ave., museums & parks including Millennium are only a pleasant walk away.

However!! You realize the location ain't that great when you experience the weekend. Since the hotel is located on an extremely busy street and directly across a fire station, sleeping on weekends is nearly impossible. Downtown hustle & bustle, endless honking, drunken screaming & laughing and sirens every so often till sunrise. You have been warned.

Some restaurant suggestions nearby are Quartino, RPM, La Madia & Siena Tavern.

• Stayed: April 2014
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

I want to thank you for adding to our online reputation both here at at Yelp! Happy to see that you did enjoy most of what our location has to offer and that you found our cleanliness and friendliness to up to Marriott's standards, much appreciated for you taking the time to recognize that. While our location does offer some difficult challenges as well, I would like you to know that all of our standard king rooms are in the rear of the hotel and tend to be more sheltered from those city noises that you described. I do hope that you will return and we hope to provide you with a more restful stay!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn while on a 2 week business trip. Matthew Noonan and staff made sure I was comfortable and taken care of while in Chicago. While the hotel is across the street from a Fire Station and next door to a night club I had no problem getting a full night's rest each night. This trip was my introduction to Chicago as I had never visited previously. First impressions are important and are lasting. I will definitely make it a point to stay at the Fairfield Inn the next time I am in Chicago.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Fire Dept and Night Club if you are a light sleeper. The hotel does prov...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

It was our pleasure! It was great getting to know you and always nice to see a familiar face running around. I am very happy that we were able to make a great first impression of Chicago and our hotel and we very much look forward to your return. Take care!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My parents stayed at the FFI Chicago River North with their besties; celebrating their 42nd anniversaries and since they checked-out, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Matt, the staff and property! Its not often you find a Front Desk Manager whom is so warm, friendly and inviting all at the same time. Coming from the hospitality biz, I know that his job is a busy stressful one, but he sure did know how to make them feel special ! Thanks White Lodging and the FFI! See you next year, for Anniversary #43.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for the very kind review! While things can certainly get busy and stressful, guests such as your parents and their friends are the reason why I am in this business. It brings me joy to see others enjoying their time in our hotel and this crew seemed to be having a blast! Congratulations again to them on 42, and we look forward to seeing them back for 43 and more!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Typically, Fairfield Inns are not my preference of the Marriott brands, however, this one by far exceeded my expectations! This hotel was wonderfully modern and exceptionally clean. I stayed in a king room and it was very nice with a large flat screen TV. It also had a very large shower with beautiful glass doors. All of the staff was incredibly friendly, especially the front desk staff. It was close enough to walk to the Magnificent Mile for shopping/dining and was a GREAT value. Far less than other hotels I looked at! The only downside is that if you're looking for a hotel with a pool, this one doesn't have one. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle G
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you very much for the kind review! I am very happy that we were able to change your perception of the Fairfield brand, and I wanted to let you know that all new Fairfields will look very similar to ours. Thank you again for the recommendation and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My daughter lives in River Morth so we thought we would try this location for a weekend visit.
Hotel became a Fairfield in 2013, so it all appears new.
There is plenty good to report.
Pricing best we found in the area for the quality.
If you willing to find your own self park, we found it a block away for $36 a night. Hotel offers valet for $62.
The staff was very friendly and we were upgraded at check in.
The rooms are nice size with all working amenities.
Free Wi-Fi.
Room price includes self serve breakfast in a large multi room facility on the 2nd floor, and plenty to chose from to start your day from fresh fruit, eggs, oatmeal, waffles, cereal and juices and hot coffee or tea.
The location is convenient for the area and I would recommend eating at Beatrix, a full service contemporary health themed restaurant around the corner.
Now the main problem we had was the location at night.
It is located directly across the street from a very active fire station. You can count on screeching sirens at various times of the night. We had a 15th floor room away from the front and STILL heard it clear as day when went off, enough to awaken you.
The other noise issue was a nite club next to the hotel with an outside area that did not get going until very late and the noise level really was if they were almost on the 15th floor. I think this is only a a Friday and Saturday night issue for the extreme noise.
So bring some earplugs or sleep aids or prepare to deal with some real street noise and sleep disruption.
Enjoy!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank toltom
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I am happy to see that you enjoyed our staff, amenities, and location, however disappointed that our location also added some discomfort for you and your family. We are in a very popular area of Chicago with some of the best dining and night life in the city and I do apologize this coupled with the Chicago Fire Department keeping our city safe did disturb your sleep. We do offer white noise machines and additional earplugs for the lighter sleepers. We do hope that you will return to our hotel sometime and allow us another opportunity to provide you with a better experience!