“The Staff makes it better . . . .”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #16 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Swartz Creek, Michigan
“The Staff makes it better . . . .”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went to Chicago this past weekend for the wife's birthday and stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River/North. It was what I've come to expect from the Marriott organization as far as comfort and cleanliness. But the staff at this hotel from the valet and housekeepers to the front desk manager and concierge were outstanding. Everyone there made us feel at home especially Robert, the concierge, who went out of his way to make our stay more pleasant. Next time I'm in Chicago I will be staying at this Fairfield.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for the awesome review! I will surely pass this along to Robert and celebrate his efforts with our team and let our entire team know that their hard work does not go unnoticed. Feel free to reach out when you need to make those future arrangements and we look forward to seeing you back sometime soon!

Matt Noonan, Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had the pleasure of taking my mother on her very 1st visit to Chicago. I chose this hotel basically for the rate (Sr. Citizen) but it exceeded all of my expectations. OMG, where do I start!!!!

1. 1st Matthew Noonan (Mgr) emailed me personally inquiring about any special needs my mother or myself might have. Talk about customer service!! He answered all questions and fulfilled all of my requests. Matthew, thanks so much for the extra special touch.

2. ROCKSTAR DANIELLE at the front desk served as my very own personal tour guide!! She was knowledgeable, patient, and did it all with a smile. Anything I needed to know about the hotel or maneuvering about Chicago she answered!!! Thanks Danielle<<-- Clone her

As far as the hotel is concerned it's modern, chic, and updated. We occupied the 2 bed suite on the 14th floor with a great view, and the coup de' grace FREE WI-FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Breakfast was free and plentiful downstairs, and the hotel is a convenient walk to the Oriental Theater, The Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier or a quick cab ride whatever your preference.

My only CON---- Parking!!! It's a little pricey (however, this is downtown Chicago) and it's a walk from the hotel. Please be mindful of this if you have elderly parents or if you are alone. If that's the case I recommend the valet.

Room Tip: Top floor Suites
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your very kind review! We are fortunate to have a dedicated team here really focused on making sure our guests are completely satisfied and Danielle is no exception. I will be sure to share this with her and our team! Feel free to reach out should you need any assistance in the future and we look forward to being able to accommodate you again sometime soon!

Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great location and a new hotel with stellar service., Street side a little bit noisy. Parking adjunct to hotel. Rooms were clean and tidy. Convenient to lots of restaurants. Difficult to obtain reservations on summer weekends so book in advance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review and kind comment on the service here at the Fairfield. Our mission here is to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel on the block and it looks like we succeeded in doing so. I also appreciate the heads up to the TripAdvisor community about booking in advance - the word is spreading and our hotel is extremely busy, so yes please book in advance!

long grove, IL
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Finding a room that could hold 5 adult women was tough, but we lucked out at this location. it's perfect! Clean and welcoming. Bathtub had a little trouble draining but seriously...No complaints. Amazing restaurants everywhere around you in this location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Glad we were able to accommodate you ladies! It was a pleasure to meet you all, glad that you had a good time, and we look forward to seeing you back sometime soon!

Richmond, Ky
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights while visiting the Chicago area with our 2 children. This hotel was in a great location, very clean, and very friendly. The breakfast was good and the breakfast staff was very helpful in planning our days. We could not have asked for anything better, especially when you compare the price of the other downtown hotels. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the very kind review! Glad to see that you were completely satisfied with your time with us and that our staff was able to be a part of that. We look forward to seeing you back sometime soon!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff. Nice and clean rooms. Close to public transportation. Free WiFi worked well. Only issue is street noise. They are across the street from a fire station. We stayed on the top floor on the opposite side of the building. Not loud enough to wake me up but loud enough to make it hard to fall asleep.

Room Tip: Recommend high floor on opposite side from fire engine.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review! One of the missions of our hotel is to be the cleanest and friendliest, so I am thrilled to see that these were two of your highlights from your stay. Thanks again for the excellent review and we look forward to seeing you back sometime soon!

TORONTO
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent Service Hotel. From management and down. Amazing fantastic stay.
Used my Marriott points to redeem a one night stay here. Received a direct email from Matthew Front Desk Manager before and after my stay for any special requests or anything. I am very impressed with this level of service. We went on the weekend of Taste of Chicago and the hotel was fully booked. Although full booked and busy they were the front desk and everyone managed very well. I was impressed with the hotels automatic revolving door, the higher tiers of Marriott hotel doesn't have this in the area. The lobby was nice and warm very inviting. There was less than a 5 minute wait for check ins and was very accommodating. The security feature with using the hotel key card is very safe. It may be informative to let your guests know about this feature as I saw quite a few walking around the elevators not knowing that you had to tap keycard first and then push your floor number. We stayed in room 1045 as requested higher floor away from elevators and quiet room. It was very nice and the room included a fridge and very impressive bathroom layout. The glass door stand up shower was 4 class hotel like. Spacious counter space and mega size mirror very spacious bathroom. This room had no view of the city although we hardly were in the room to begin with but excellent sleep very quiet room at night. The elevators were very fast for the fully booked hotel. Breakfast was pretty good. The waffle line up was not fun I saw the line up for it and passed away as people were targeting that area first.
All in all excellent stay at the Fairfield Inn I was overly impressed with the level of customer service and attitude of employees working here. The room is not too small but very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if I had to stay in Downtown Chicago. Thank-you Matt for the emails it is your service and training for the team members that make this hotel the best of service. Please keep it up I look forward till my next visit.

Room Tip: Room 1045 King size bedroom. New and nice quiet room. Request for higher floors not facing Illinois...
Green Features: Very Environmental friendly and this is enforced throughout the hotel. Very nice!
1 Thank TravellerJToronto
Matt N, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
What a wonderfully thoughtful and detailed review of your stay with us, thank you! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan on returning in the future. The emails you described are just my way of opening that door to make sure each guest has the opportunity to provide us much appreciated feedback and to assist us in honoring any requests that we can. Thank you again for the kind review and I look forward to seeing you back sometime soon!