“Good, but falls short of the hype”

Bavette's Bar and Boeuf
Reserve with OpenTable
Bavette's Bar and Boeuf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wells/Franklin
Description: A stylish departure from a traditional steakhouse, Bavette's embraces French flair without the formality, blending fine dining with unabashed fun. Guests can indulge in seafood towers, richly flavorful ribeyes, classic side dishes and house made desserts, as well as classic cocktails and a well-curated international wine list.
Chicago, Illinois
“Good, but falls short of the hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We eat out a lot and every year I pick a French style restaurant for my birthday, and this year was Bavettes based on the good reviews. Bavettes is above average, but nowhere near the superlatives.
The good: excellent service, very attentive, the shrimp dejonghe ( have not had in years) was outstanding, the house made bacon on the wedge was remarkable-like eating ribs my wife said, and she had the chicken which she rated among the best.

The less good: we ate in the downstairs parlor- I'd never eat there again. A claustrophobic, depressing dark décor with the wrong lighting. the upstairs room looked much nicer. I read that the cocktails were expensive but great- they were expensive and very ordinary. I had the hangar streak which was good but nothing special, and the "frites" were so so. not much crisp.
Some restaurants I long to return to, Bavettes was good but no longing here.

• Greek first
Sydney
“Superb Steak !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Wonderful location, atmosphere, service and … steak was incredible (no sauce required).

Service was friendly, helpful not pushy. Recommended steak was perfect !

1 Thank Rob H
winnetka, illinois
“Outstanding evening of food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

This was a very special evening with friends so it had to be perfect! It exceeded those expectations! First the atmosphere is fabulous. Beautifully decorated it reminded me of the movie :"Midnight in Paris"! Although it was jumping and very full, we never really were bothered by those around us and could hear each other perfectly.
The service was impeccable. We were there for 4 hours. No one rushed our ordering and no one grabbed our dishes before everyone was done (my pet peeve).
Our appetizers of Peppered Duck and Goat Cheese Terraine, Crab stuffed Avocado salad and a dozen oysters were all exceptional and large enough to share!
We moved on to the bone in ribeye which was to die for!
The menu had many other very interesting items but we are fans of the rib eye. Next time I vow to try somehting different! The wine was great. ]
A perfect evening!!!

2 Thank kpycsy
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the best meals of the year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was one of the best food experiences I've had in a while. Everything about this place is 5 stars - food, service and ambiance. The upstairs is reminiscent of an early 20th century French bistro, complete with rich, dark wood and mood lighting. Downstairs is like a parlor or old mansion library, without the books. Deep booths and romantic 2-tops.
Our server, Michael (or perhaps Michele since he's from a French area of Africa) was very helpful and knowledgeable. He was also very personable.
The food was so good. I don't think you could go wrong. We had the fois grois, wedge salad, oysters and two steaks. My steak was unfortunately medium though I ordered it medium rare plus. Other than that, everything was exceptional. The chocolate cream pie is the best I've ever had. It's like soft fudge in a delicious crust. I'd go just for the pie and a glass of wine!

Phoenix, Arizona
“Classic done Right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This place was quite a walk for me to find BUT was well worth the excursion. The restaurant has the feel of a club~bar~simple, elegant and cozy. I am a chef and would love to have a restaurtant this nicley thought out.
The menu is perfection...evenly balanced, not too "hip or slangish" just a nice blend of classic food, steaks and some seafood in proper French preparation.
I sat at the bar...the bar keeps were friendly and knowledgable.
The Fioe Gras Terrine was simple, elegant and perfectly served with thick crusted bread and a berry compote.
The steak..OMG. I opted for a less rich Chicago Rib Eye (dry aged was also on the menu but after the pate I didn't need anymore decadence). The steak was perfect.
They have (i believe) an old school Hi-Low Drawer Broiler that is the best for steaks since it sears at high temp and cooks without imparting too much smoke (everyone has switched to the char-broilers that adds smoke...not great for steaks since it fights with the real beef flavor).
(Bernaise..lacked tarragon reduction so not perfect..)
The perfect steak meal that I am dreaming about three days later!

2 Thank Sidthebeachbum