“Truly amazing five star facility!”

Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Truly amazing five star facility!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A very upscale decor inside and amazing facility throughout the hotel! My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Langham Chicago and had a great time! Our room was upgraded to a river view room and the view was very nice. Very clean, big screen TV, nice expresso machine, upscale furniture and very modern bathroom. The wet room with a big tub is truly amazing! Only slightly negative experience was due to a front desk staff that was rude when I called a day before arrival to put in a few requests...early check in and higher floor. However, we did receive superb service upon arrival and would recommend this hotel to our friends!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Serena K
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for celebrating your anniversary at our hotel—we are honored to have you at The Langham. Thank you as well for all of the details of your stay, which I will share with all of the appropriate departments here. All the best to you and your husband, and we look forward to seeing you again.

The Langham, Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I see how this is the top rated hotel in Chicago on Trip Advisor and completely agree. We had a group of 25 rooms at the Langham and everyone gave super high remarks about the quality and service level at this hotel. Our guests are fortune 50 executive level clientele that stay in the top hotels worldwide and they even commented how nice this hotel was. The attention to detail, service level and thought process behind the entire experience was excellent. We even rented out part of the Travelle lounge for our group one evening and the experience there was top notch as well. The rooms are crazy nice too! I would highly recommend this hotel for business travelers or for a weekend getaway....great hotel.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel does overlook the river down towards the lake, if you can get on this side, yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for recommending both our hotel and restaurant—wonderful to hear from you and your group following your stay. We very much appreciate having the opportunity to host a group of business leaders with such high standards and expectations, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I will begin this review by stating that it is very difficult to accommodate my family. My husband and I were traveling with our 3 children under age 4, and we typically have a lot of requests from a hotel. There were many, many amazing things about our recent 3-night stay at the Langham, but also several disappointing aspects. First, the good. The staff is lovely and attentive. We arrived on a Tuesday evening, and were greeted warmly by both concierge and front-desk staff. We arrived to our room on the 5th floor to find the infant bathtub and crib I'd requested, along with baby toiletries, and some cookies for the kids. My husband had forgotten his contact lens solution, and the concierge went out to get some and delivered it to our room on a silver tray. Amazing! The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants on the Magnificent Mile. Our room was a good size for Chicago with beautiful and luxurious furnishings. The beds were very comfortable, Nespresso machine in the room was welcome, and the TV was quite large. The bathroom was massive with quite a bit of marble and granite, a large soaker tub, and a rain shower. We visited the pool, which was a perfect size and temperature, and the spa, which was lovely. We also utilized the car service (a beautiful Jaguar) to take our brood to the Shedd Aquarium and back one day. Victor, the chief concierge, arranged this and was very kind throughout our stay. Typically, our requests for things like a flat iron, memory foam pillow, extra conditioner, etc. were accommodated quickly and with no problem.

Now for the bad. There were 3 major issues and a few additional minor ones that lowered our rating from what should've been a 5-star experience. The first night of our stay I attempted to take a rain shower. It was cool to lukewarm. I called the front desk and they offered to send an engineer right away, but it was late and the kids were asleep so I asked if he could come in the morning. He came three times total over the next couple days before the issue was resolved and we didn't have a hot shower until day 3. (We did have hot water in the tub.) Staff were apologetic but didn't offer to move us to another room or adjust our room rate until I went down to the lobby and asked staff to inform the manager. At that point, we were offered a rate adjustment for our room but upon checkout I realized it wasn't a significant adjustment given the lack of a hot shower for 2 nights out of 3. Another major problem was that the "kids' suite" that is mentioned as an amenity was not yet open for use. We discovered this only after getting our kids excited to play there and hauling them to the 8th floor. The door wouldn't open, and only after calling the front desk did they inform us that it hasn't been completed. On a rainy day with 3 small children, this was a huge disappointment. Lastly, we ordered in-room dining 4 times during our stay. The food overall was delicious, but there were issues with missing items twice. These were always resolved fairly quickly, but this is something that shouldn't happen at a 5-star property. Additional minor issues were: being charged $5 more at the spa than the rate listed on the services price list in the room; having to ask how the breakfast credit that was a part of our rate worked; not much of a view (of Trump Hotel); ridiculously high valet parking rate (even in comparison with other 5-star Chicago properties).

Overall, this is a lovely hotel but there are a few kinks that need to be worked out before I would return. I believe with time, it will get there, but it's not quite there yet.

Room Tip: I'd request a higher floor in the future.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us in our first months, and for sharing both the many highlights and the opportunities to improve with your stay. I apologize that it was not clear that our Kids’ Suite had not yet opened—it is scheduled to open Dec. 1. I have shared your concerns with all of our managers and necessary steps have been taken to ensure perfect performance in the future. I also enjoyed sharing your compliments with our concierges and front-desk team who are delighted. Again, thank you and we all are looking forward to seeing you and the family here again very soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Gorgeous design, amazing customer service. I will never stay any place else in Chicago!
Bath products amazing, upgraded to suite which was to die for. River view. Location great for business or pleasure.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank slab1221
Wonderful to hear from you—thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My sister, mother and I booked our stay at this hotel, site unseen and we were certainly not disappointed! For a quick birthday get away weekend, it was so lovely and oozing with class and service. They did such a great job with every detail and nuance! Some hotels, especially in Chicago try too hard to differentiate their property by going over the top or being uncreatively edgy. The Langham is the complete antithesis. Clean lines, sophisticated art, inlaid carpet, real wood, marble, high thread count sheets, slippers, privacy glass, guest amenities, good coffee in the rooms, Bose stereos, rai shower and deep inviting bath tubs, large flat screen HD TV, wardrobe with space and a comfy separate make/vanity space...the list can go on. Beds a re comfy, staff is uber kind--not pushy or false, but genuinely interested in delivering good service!

And I can't even get started about the Chuan spa, that guests are able to use the locker room, steam room, saunas, pool and jacuzzi gratis just for staying in the hotel!

New absolute Chicago favorite place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks so much for sharing the details of your stay, and thank you for capturing the feel of our hotel with your words. Wonderful to hear from you, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 9 November 2013

As I have stated before, I am a self-professed hotel snob. If I'm at not a Four Seasons or Peninsula, I'm a little cranky. A decided to be adventurous and try out the new Langham hotel in Chicago. What a fabulous decision that was! The hotel is absolutely beautiful, the views are amazing, the staff is attentive, and the rooms are top notch.

I booked a club level suite which means that upon arrival you are escorted to their private lounge (which is exquisite). In the lounge, you are offered a beverage and a snack as you go through a very simple check in process. When you are ready, a butler escorts you to your room.

The rooms are absolutely exquisite! Bright and cheerful with everything you can hope for. From big screen (55") t.v.s to chandeliers in the bedroom, they have thought of it all! Well, almost all.

This is where my happiness came to an abrupt halt. I cannot imagine who made this corporate decision, but the king sized bed is a "zip" bed...meaning it is two twin beds zipped together. What in the world were they thinking?? So horribly uncomfortable! My husband and I like to snuggle, so this bed is a huge problem for us. If you prefer some space from your partner, this is the bed for you.

Not only am I a hotel snob, but I'm also a stickler on customer service. When I asked our butler, Carlos Carrera, about the beds, he responded the best way possible. He promised to do his best to replace the mattress in our room the next day. He delivered on his promise!! Our uncomfortable "zip" mattress was replaced with a fabulous, comfortable king sized mattress! (By the way, they plan to replace all of the mattresses) Not only was Carlos able to replace our mattress, but we were given a hand written note from the hotel manager apologizing for our inconvenience. Best customer service ever!!!

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The room…the food…the customer service…all top notch!!!

Room Tip: Definitely book the club level! Their lounge is incredible!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsFire42
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Mr. and Mrs. Fire,

Thank you very much for your insightful review and very high rating, especially given your fluency with other luxury hotels. I am especially glad you were able to spend time at our Langham Club and that Carlos, our Head of Butler Services, promptly assisted in making your stay an exceptional one.

We are committed to providing the ultimate level of comfort and luxury for all of our guests. Thank you so much for pointing out an important opportunity to provide consistency in our guest-room product.

Again, I appreciate your remarks and insights, and value your input as a Langham guest. We look forward to seeing you again at The Langham, Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Langham Chicago is incredible! Service is outstanding and the hotel is just beautiful! View from all the rooms is fabulous and amenities are above and beyond! We also had dinner at Truvelle and that was fabulous as well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thanks so much for your wonderful review and recommendation. We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Langham.