“Fantastic Retreat in the city!!”

Ranked #2 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Fantastic Retreat in the city!!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This property has surpassed the bar on luxury and relaxation. I have visited many local hotelsto stay the weekend, enjoy the ammenities, eat at the restaurants /bar with friends after work, and enjoy the spas,,,,, this hotel made me forget that it was 30's outside. I started at the 2nd floor lobby to check in, my greeting was welcoming and engageing. As I entered the room, I was not only taken by the size but the elegance and thought put into the furniture, lighting, and small detail to comfort. After dropping off my bags, I returned to Travelle to enjoy a glass of wine, while awaiting my friend. This chic bar was packed, and with the club, classy feel, I can see this as the "new hot spot".
Although I had dinner across the street, we could not help ordering room service around 12am. Can I just say the best room service that I have EVER ordered... it was fresh, quick, hot, and I felt that I was eating in the restaurant
The next morning I sat at the coffee bar to enjoy a great conversation, warm croissant and hot coffee... a perfect way to begin the day. While I worked that day, I had no worries about entertaining my guest, the pool, hot tub, workout room..... and incredible sauna/locker room enterained for hours. I returned that evening for an amazing spa treatment. Hands down... this was the most unique, luxurious spa service and ammenities that I have had. Please look this spa up for a description, or visit if you are at the hotel... it is in a class of its own.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m glad you were able to spend time at Chuan Spa—we do offer memberships as well, in case you are interested in visiting on a regular basis. Also I am delighted to hear that your late-night in-room dining was exceptional. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The Langham, Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I travelled to Chicago just before the Labor Day Holiday for a much-needed getaway. I scoured the internet looking for the perfect hotel; a perfect blend of location, hip-ness (but not party central) and higher-end class of hotel. We almost booked at The Trump, The Peninsula and then The James, but TravelZoo sent me an email with a "Brand New Luxury Hotel" offer in Chicago. It hadn't come up in any of my initial web searches, so I was intrigued. I instantly went to their website and it looked perfect. We booked and within a few days, we were walking into a sanctuary that is The Langham.

First, everything is brand-spanking new: the carpet, the sheets, the walls - clean, fresh and lovely. The vibe is modern, but not cold. It's light, airy and serene. Just what I had imagined. Do you know how great it feels felt to return to your hotel after many, many, many hours each day exploring the beautiful city of Chicago? It was the equivalent to a full head, body and foot massage. It was the quite after the storm. And just what we needed to decompress before the next day's adventures. In comparison, one night we walked across the street to The Trump Hotel to have a drink and catch a view of the city on their 16th floor deck/lounge: It was crowded, loud (mostly young people, perhaps not actual guests of the hotel?) and felt more like a nightclub lobby than a hotel. I couldn't help but ask myself, "Why would anyone stay HERE, when a sanctuary that is The Langham is just across the street?"

The rooms are luxurious and I could go on and on about them, but just refer to other reviewers. They are perfection, quiet, and spa-like. And did I mention how clean everything is at The Langham? I am a bit of a clean nut, and we walked around freely in our bare feet in our hotel room, and there was nary a fleck of dust underfoot. That felt GOOD.

The spa? Incredible. The restaurant? AH-mazing. The only 'problem' with the restaurant was that when we started each day there in the morning, we didn't want to leave. The atmosphere, the food, the coffee, the staff - pamper every sense in such a way that you actually have to WILL yourself to get out of your seat and step away from the table. (The espresso here is divine!)

The staff is also top-notch: attentive, but not intrusive. Andrew, Victor, Lindsey, Evelyn, Roderick, Aaron, and on and on. Thank you all so much for making our stay THE BEST EVER!

Finally, as one reviewer so aptly said, "This is a palace with top of the line amenities. Once you stay at a place where you are treated so well and have a nearly 600 square foot room, massive TV, Bose sound system, slippers, robes and all the trappings of luxury it really makes you wonder how basic chain hotels are getting 5 star reviews on T/A when something like this just blows it away." Could not have said it better myself.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artville
Thank you so much for all of your kind words, and thank you especially for choosing our hotel. I couldn’t be happier to share your review with our team here. Especially with the busy holiday season in Chicago, it’s delightful to hear that the Langham was your oasis to return to. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife and I spend the weekend with our 7 year old daughter at the Langham. We opted for Club Level and really enjoyed it. The Club Lounge on the 12th floor provides a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere with great views, and the hospitality of the staff was outstanding. They also made us feel that our (well behaved ;-)) daughter was more than welcome (not always the case in Club Lounges). The breakfast buffet offered a small but very nice selection of high quality cold and warm food. This included an omelet station and a great Espresso/Cappuccino machine. We especially enjoyed the evening Canapé and Cocktail hour. You can select from a full bar, beer and wine as well as Champagne (which is b.t.w. available all day). Food included a selection of charcuterie and cheeses, seafood (Crab claws, Jumbo Shrimp, Salmon) as well as finger food with an Asian influence. It was the perfect place to start our evening with views of illuminated Chicago downtown.

Already a lot has been said about the room, and we can fully agree with those who rated them as top notch and comfortable. You also only rarely have the chance to be in a hotel/hotel room where everything is only a few weeks old.

I want to point out the excellent spa and pool area where we enjoyed our Sunday morning. The pool was fun and my wife enjoyed a boot camp class (and the refreshing pool afterwards ;-)). We did not do any treatments, but the atmosphere and the fantastic design provide the right tranquil surroundings. We liked that it was not too busy when we were there, but I am pretty sure that it will not stay like that once the high quality of the Spa and the hotel becomes more known (maybe I should not post this review).

The service level we experienced was truly outstanding. Every staff member we dealt with was highly professional while still keeping a right and much appreciated level of personal touch. We will come back.

Room Tip: Consider Club Level
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Wonderful to hear from you—thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Thank you as well for choosing a Langham Club level room. I am delighted that you were able to make full use of it during your family’s stay. We look forward to seeing you again in Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My fiance and I decided to do a staycation at The Langham, it was by far better than we could have expected. We both receive spa services and were amazed at the facility and staff. Cocktails and apps at the bar were delicious, and the service was spectacular. Overall this was a tremendous evening i cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your engagement, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. So glad you spent time both at the bar at Travelle and at Chuan Spa. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. We were there for 7 nights. The rooms are outstanding. The beds are great. The staff is wonderful. They also serve a breakfast that is great. I loved it all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for spending a week at the Langham and for your kind review. I am delighted to share your review with my colleagues at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the years ahead.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

One night of contemporary style and luxurious comfort was not enough! The Langham king room had all the touches expected in a 5 star hotel and beyond. I ended up at the property after missing a connecting flight (and my luggage) home. With only my handbag, the Langham provided (in unique style) all the toiletries necessary, even sending deodorant to the room. The hospitality of the employees couldn’t be matched. Great location and views. I’ll visit again and stay longer to fully enjoy this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Subwayangie
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience here. We look forward to seeing you again.

Chicago
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I just spent 2 wonderful days at the Langham in Chicago began when we arrived. We were met at the door by the doorman / Bellhop FIDEL. He is a hispanic gentleman who is intelligent, friendly and super commited to the Langham's philosophy of superior customer service. We then were escorted by a young lady to the second floor lobby / desk. There we were checked in. We had requested a room with either a city or a lake view. We were told, that the hotel had a occupancy rate of about 40%. The room we were assigned to was NOT what we had requested. We overlooked a large garage. The city or the lake were on the other side of the building.

Otherwise, our stay was was absolutely wonderful. The room was stunningly clean, crisp and very high tech. The lighting controls, the temperature control, and the window between the shower and the bedroom (which was made of "smart glass". It could be turned opaque simply by flipping a switch).

The only other observation which might detract from an otherwise fantastic stay was the design of the restaurant. It had more of an aura of a cafeteria than a high end restaurant. It is probably due to an effort by the designer / architect to create a slick and modern immage, but it comes across just too edgy or starck.

Room Tip: If a certain type of room is requested, re-confirm this at check-in.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heitmann
Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing so many details from your stay. I am very glad you enjoyed the details of the room and that overall your stay was exceptional. I am sorry you were not able to receive a room with a river view—we certainly do take very detailed notes of personal preferences and wherever possible try to meet that need. We most certainly have noted all personal preferences in order to ensure your next visit to The Langham is perfect. We all look forward to welcoming you back.