“So badly was hoping to rate this 5 stars”

Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I will start off by saying that I was hoping and anticipating to rate this property 5 stars before we arrived because of all of the great reviews. We were off to a great start upon arrival when Elliott greeted us at the door, addressed us by name and assisted us with our luggage. He was so kind and helpful. We booked a club level room and took the elevator up to check in. Michele assisted us and showed us the club level and to our room and she was pleasant.

As others have mentioned, the rooms were gorgeous with a spa like feel. They are so relaxing and clean and the shower is amazing. We were very pleased with the look.

A few items to note (not necessarily all negatives but we have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels so a few things we noticed).

Club Level: There is no special key/security to get to club level (or any floor for that matter) as in most hotels. This was a little disturbing as anyone could essentially get in the elevator and take advantage of the club level amenities. Sometimes there was not even a staff member sitting at the club level check in desk and there was no one monitoring room keys etc...which seemed a little odd.

Room: The curtains are not automatic, there is no TV in the bathroom, there is a switch on the bathroom wall with a seek button that appears to be a radio but is just a volume control for the bedroom tv (seek button does not work). There is no iPod/iPhone doc in the room but there is a Bose stereo. The stereo had instructions to hook up with Bluetooth but it did not work with our iPhones or iPad and when we called about it they were not sure why it wasn't working. The sheets on the bed were quite stiff and not very cozy although the mattress was okay.

Spa: Very beautiful facilities and a nice gym. Upon check in to the spa/gym I mentioned to a worker at the spa desk that I would like spa shoes and a robe so I could take advantage of the sauna, steam room etc..He assured me that these were in the locker room already. Well, I went through 20 (yes at least 20 lockers of the 40+) and no luck. So I walked back up to the front desk and asked for assistance. The man assured me that someone would meet me back in there to assist me. I stood around for at least 5 minutes and not a spa attendant in site. I finally asked another spa guest where she got her spa shoes and she said the front desk. I went back to the front desk for the THIRD time and he finally had the woman who was standing with him the entire time walk back with me to unlock the closet with the shoes.

Laundry (3 items pressed complimentary on club level): I had a brand new dress with tags still attached that I sent for the complimentary touch up. The dress was returned to me because they said there was a stain on it and they could not press it. When I sent the dress up it was 100% in perfect condition and when they brought it back it had a huge oil/grease looking stain on it. I was so upset as this was my NYE dress! We let an attendant on the club level know this stain was NOT from us and he was so kind and nice. Later his boss (Michele) approached us in the club level to say she could send it out for dry cleaning but that the stain wasn't their fault and that maybe I bought it that way and had the nerve to ask if there was anything else I could wear. This was honestly insulting. Luckily the dry cleaning worked and the stain came out. But I would not trust my clothing with their laundry services again.

Bottom line, I would consider giving this hotel a second chance because of the beautiful property and some of the employees. However, I would expect the amenities and service to be improved to meet to levels of a 5 star resort.

6  Thank e w
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your stay and your recommendations for enhancement. We are continually reviewing opportunities that will benefit all our guests. I am glad that your spa and laundry issues were ultimately resolved, and apologize for the complications and delays in the process. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future to experience our regular levels of seamless hospitality.

The Langham, Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,661)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I dined at the Pavilion at The Langham for their Downton Abbey-inspired afternoon tea menu with 4 friends, and the entire experience was great. The environment is elegant, but relaxing. The servers are attentive, but not over bearing. I've been to several afternoon teas while traveling and throughout Chicago, and this was definitely in the top 3 of my most enjoyable teas.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelgirl1009
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Wonderful to hear from you—thank you for visiting and for sharing details from your afternoon tea. I’m delighted to hear all of it was to your liking. All the best to you in 2014, and thank you very much again for your recommendation.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent a glorious weekend in our favorite city, Chicago,staying at the beautiful new Langham Hotel.
This hotel epitomizes that difficult but oh so wonderful combination of sophistication and warmth.
We can't wait to come back!

1  Thank kat m
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago in the years ahead.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I felt guilty for cheating on my true love across the street (sorry mr trump) but wow am I glad I did. Came for a 3 day staycation recently for New Years and decided to stay at Langham, mostly because of the hype/reviews and bc it was cheaper than the trump... plus their website offered many great deals with extra perks like $50 daily breakfast credit (so worth it).

The hotel is just absolutely breathtaking. The lobby, the restaurants, just gorgeous. For a moment I didn't even feel like I was in Chicago in the middle of a snow storm. It was like a different world.

The room was very comfortable. Loved the bathroom setup and the smart use of space. The frosted glass between the bedroom and bathtub was genius. The bed is one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. They had a cute area that stored a nespresso machine, many diff glasses, and more. My fave thing about the room was the separate vanity area- ladies you will LOVE it! If I had to do some comparisons with my first true love, I would have to say that I may still like the rooms at Trump a bit better bc the rooms are bigger, the bathroom floors are warmer in the winter, and the windows are more sound proof and cold proof! It got quite cold in half the room closest to the window.

So why do I love the Langham more than my first love... And why will I most likely pick Langham over the Trump during my next stay in Chicago?? Two words- Chaun spa. The amenities are amazing and I must say it is my favorite spa in Chicago right now. See my separate review for Chuan spa!

The elevators are fast, everything is new, the staff is wonderful... I can't wait to come back and book a club room... If you're still debating btwn staying at Langham vs another 5 star hotel in Chicago, please just stop. You need to stay here asap!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nsk210

Thank you for choosing to try The Langham for an extended stay-cation, and thanks so much for sharing such a detailed look into our hotel. I’m especially glad you were able to fully experience Chuan Spa and were able to discover a new favorite spa. We appreciate having you at The Langham and very much look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I decided to stay at this property for a recent vacation to Chicago and I could not be anymore happier. I opted for a room on the Club Level (12C), by doing so you check in and out on that floor as opposed to the general desk. You also have a team of butlers who are available to assist with anything you may need. You also are entitled to the amenities in the club which include but are not limited to buffets, tea, drinks and amazing views of Chicago. My room was spectacular and I must say that this Hotel has one of the best water pressures for taking a shower. I am looking forward to coming back soon!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank iamT3rry

Wonderful to hear from you—thanks very much for sharing the details of your stay. I will share your review with the butler team in the Langham Club—I’m very glad to hear that you made the most of your Club Level room. Thank you again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

As a frequent user of the The Langham Hotel group, and going on the standards set by London and Hong Kong I booked the The Langham Chicago with an open mind.

Approaching the Langham I was impressed with the exterior. Upon arrival the door staff were very friendly and welcoming. The fragrance of the lobby is always enchanting, I love it. The checkin staff had a pleasant conversation and it did not feel like a checkin which was great, in no time I had my room key in my hand.

I entered my room and was totally taken away. The rooms are beautifully appointed and I had a wonderful view. The club lounge is fantastic, the staff here were very personal which I liked. The selection of drinks and nibbles are wonderful.

I will be back very soon to stay in The Langham Chicago

Room Tip: Pay that bit extra for the club room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Wonderful to have you, as a frequent Langham guest, in residence at our new hotel. Thank you for staying with us and for making the most of your Langham Club privileges. All the best to you in 2014—we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Langham as a romantic getaway, two year anniversary, for New Years Eve. We arrived just as the snow started coming down. The doorman/valet got us immediately out of the car and into the warm lobby, while our luggage was retrieved. We were escorted up to the Club Level, where we were greeted with warm smiles and enthusiasm, obvious happiness to the fact that we were spending the holiday with them. This level of service was the tip of the iceberg, we were greeted wherever we went by name and asked if there was anything we needed. By far and away the best services I have ever received, period.

The rooms are beautifully appointment, with the latest in technology integrated in pretty much every facet of the room; TV, lights, bathroom, shades, etc. The bed was extremely comfortable with very soft sheets, making getting up on New Years nearly impossible. We had family join us later on NYE to ring in the new year. Everyone was impressed, with the comment "this is the nicest hotel in Chicago, far nicer than the Ritz, Trump, or the Four Seasons" being stated often.

What made the experience truly unique was the Langham Club Lounge. The food is exceptional, the bar has all top shelf liquors, and the tea/coffee is fantastic. As a snack, we had shrimp and crab leg cocktail, beef filet, chocolate truffles, etc, all of which was on the level of a Gibsons or Mortons. On top of the great food, the room itself is beautifully appointed with leather chairs, marble countertops, and sweeping views of the river and Lake Michigan.

I have to end with saying thank you to all of the staff at the Langham for making our getaway unforgettable! We look forward to coming back to the Langham in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Classic Suite with access to the Club Lounge, room 835. Truly an exceptional room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Congratulations to you and your fiancée—we’re honored you chose to celebrate at our hotel. Thank you for bringing your family as well for New Year’s Eve. Wonderful to hear that you made full use of your Langham Club privileges during your stay and had such a satisfying stay—I will share your review with our team here.

All the best to you, your fiancée, and your family—we look forward to welcoming you back anytime.