“Impressed already and we have Not even Stayed at Hotel yet”

Ranked #2 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Algonquin, Illinois
“Impressed already and we have Not even Stayed at Hotel yet”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I rarely write any reviews let alone for a hotel that my wife and I have never stayed at. We live in the Chicago suburbs and I wanted to give my wife as a Christmas gift a special weekend stay in the city. I heard that the best hotel by far in Chicago right now is The Langham, which is across from The Trump. The Langham is also very new, I believe it is not even a year yet. So I checked the place out before I booked the reservation. The staff was absolutely over the top! I had a personal tour of the facilities, selected the room I wanted and met the Spa Director for a spa package for my wife. I had a glass of wine at the bar and the bartender could not have been nicer. He even gave me some recommendations and the business card of his boss if I needed any wine recommendations. This week I changed a few things and the front desk guys over the phone, David and Alex were very helpful. The restaurant manager called because she heard would would also be celebrating a special event (future daughter-in-law birthday). I will post another review after this weekend but this hotel by far has the best staff attention I have ever experienced, and I have stayed at many hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken19542014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel and rooms are quite lovely and the service is old-school excellent. But what really impressed was management's response to a late night problem. The room next to mine hosted a late night party in the room. I'll not go into detail with how management responded but let me just say they more than made up for my inconvenience with charm and professionalism. I have a new favorite place to stay in the Windy City!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cinandran
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and for giving us an opportunity to improve your experience during your stay. I'm very glad the situation was resolved to your satisfaction, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed there over Christmas break. We are Ritz fans but tried The Langham Chicago.
We were not disappointed. Although the Club level is very nice and open the food presentations are not much to pick over. Everyone was nice and helpful. Valets waiting to help you out of cold taxi's. Not sure we would pay for club access next visit.

Room Tip: ask for room facing river. Most rooms face the Trump, not much to look at after 5 minutes
1 Thank PHILIP W
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing the details of your stay. I’ll share your review with our team here at The Langham. On a future stay, we can certainly arrange a room for you with an alternate view to the one you described. We look forward to welcoming you back—again, we’re grateful to have you at The Langham. All the best to you in 2014.

Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel exceeded our expectations. From the service to the actual rooms, it was a greats stay.

Upon arrival our room wasn't ready so we headed to the bar for a drink. They weren't busy and my DH asked for a taste if scotch as he hasn't had it before, they offered it up complimentary. We had a few appetizers and they were very tasty. All of our cocktails top notch. Within 20 minutes our room was ready. I loved the wood floors in the hallway. I was Impressed with the bathroom and vanity area-so many hotels only have one "get ready" area so this was fantastic. Our view was of the river. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed the lighting options in the room.

The first night we asked for a taxi but the house car driver offered to take us instead. He was beyond polite and very helpful. We were sad he was not available the next night!

Day 2 we ordered breakfast. I'd say this was the only disappointment of our trip. Limited options, they should expand the menu. I LOVED the in room Nespresso maker, so much so I bought one when we got home.

Overall service was probably some of the best I've ever gotten in a hotel. We did get the room on Hotwire so we paid about half of what it was listed for. If we can get good deals in the future, we will be back without question.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TACHance
Happy Anniversary—thank you very much for celebrating at The Langham. I’m so glad that you had time to make use of the house car as well as the Travelle lounge and our in-room Nespresso. Thank you as well for sharing all of the details from your stay—I will share them with my managers, and all of us appreciate hearing from you. All the best to you and yours in 2014. We hope to see you again on your next Chicago visit.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I will start off by saying that I was hoping and anticipating to rate this property 5 stars before we arrived because of all of the great reviews. We were off to a great start upon arrival when Elliott greeted us at the door, addressed us by name and assisted us with our luggage. He was so kind and helpful. We booked a club level room and took the elevator up to check in. Michele assisted us and showed us the club level and to our room and she was pleasant.

As others have mentioned, the rooms were gorgeous with a spa like feel. They are so relaxing and clean and the shower is amazing. We were very pleased with the look.

A few items to note (not necessarily all negatives but we have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels so a few things we noticed).

Club Level: There is no special key/security to get to club level (or any floor for that matter) as in most hotels. This was a little disturbing as anyone could essentially get in the elevator and take advantage of the club level amenities. Sometimes there was not even a staff member sitting at the club level check in desk and there was no one monitoring room keys etc...which seemed a little odd.

Room: The curtains are not automatic, there is no TV in the bathroom, there is a switch on the bathroom wall with a seek button that appears to be a radio but is just a volume control for the bedroom tv (seek button does not work). There is no iPod/iPhone doc in the room but there is a Bose stereo. The stereo had instructions to hook up with Bluetooth but it did not work with our iPhones or iPad and when we called about it they were not sure why it wasn't working. The sheets on the bed were quite stiff and not very cozy although the mattress was okay.

Spa: Very beautiful facilities and a nice gym. Upon check in to the spa/gym I mentioned to a worker at the spa desk that I would like spa shoes and a robe so I could take advantage of the sauna, steam room etc..He assured me that these were in the locker room already. Well, I went through 20 (yes at least 20 lockers of the 40+) and no luck. So I walked back up to the front desk and asked for assistance. The man assured me that someone would meet me back in there to assist me. I stood around for at least 5 minutes and not a spa attendant in site. I finally asked another spa guest where she got her spa shoes and she said the front desk. I went back to the front desk for the THIRD time and he finally had the woman who was standing with him the entire time walk back with me to unlock the closet with the shoes.

Laundry (3 items pressed complimentary on club level): I had a brand new dress with tags still attached that I sent for the complimentary touch up. The dress was returned to me because they said there was a stain on it and they could not press it. When I sent the dress up it was 100% in perfect condition and when they brought it back it had a huge oil/grease looking stain on it. I was so upset as this was my NYE dress! We let an attendant on the club level know this stain was NOT from us and he was so kind and nice. Later his boss (Michele) approached us in the club level to say she could send it out for dry cleaning but that the stain wasn't their fault and that maybe I bought it that way and had the nerve to ask if there was anything else I could wear. This was honestly insulting. Luckily the dry cleaning worked and the stain came out. But I would not trust my clothing with their laundry services again.

Bottom line, I would consider giving this hotel a second chance because of the beautiful property and some of the employees. However, I would expect the amenities and service to be improved to meet to levels of a 5 star resort.

6 Thank e w
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you very much for sharing the details of your stay and your recommendations for enhancement. We are continually reviewing opportunities that will benefit all our guests. I am glad that your spa and laundry issues were ultimately resolved, and apologize for the complications and delays in the process. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future to experience our regular levels of seamless hospitality.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I dined at the Pavilion at The Langham for their Downton Abbey-inspired afternoon tea menu with 4 friends, and the entire experience was great. The environment is elegant, but relaxing. The servers are attentive, but not over bearing. I've been to several afternoon teas while traveling and throughout Chicago, and this was definitely in the top 3 of my most enjoyable teas.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank travelgirl1009
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Wonderful to hear from you—thank you for visiting and for sharing details from your afternoon tea. I’m delighted to hear all of it was to your liking. All the best to you in 2014, and thank you very much again for your recommendation.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent a glorious weekend in our favorite city, Chicago,staying at the beautiful new Langham Hotel.
This hotel epitomizes that difficult but oh so wonderful combination of sophistication and warmth.
We can't wait to come back!

1 Thank kat m
Thank you so much for your kind words and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago in the years ahead.