“Great hotel”

The Langham, Chicago
Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Spacious room, luxury ... everything, great staff. I liked everything about my stay here. Both the bar and restaurant are worth a visit as well as the pool. The only regret is that I didn't have the time to try the spa.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,661)

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in several Chicago hotels - near and just off Michigan Ave - over the years, and this is, without doubt, the most elegant.

Rooms are beautifully furnished without being garish or ostentatious, there's comfortable seating, and for the connected traveler, sufficient outlets!

The bath is truly elegant, with a shower and tub in a single glassed in room, separated from the bedroom by a translucent wall that clears to transparent with the flip of a switch.

Service is attentive and warm without being obsequious - think the best Ritz - Carlton you've stayed in and then a step above.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SpringfieldFresser
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in mid April. We had an excellent stay from the first minute to the last. Exceptional service as always with langham hotels, but possibly the best room we have ever stayed in, maybe even better than the langham london (which is hard to admit).

The location is perfect for us as tourists but would imagine also for business.
As said above excellent service.
The room is very large, very spacious, well designed and with lots of nice and clever touches.
Excellent massive and comfortable bed.
Excellent tv and Bose sound system which connects to your ipad and plays your music
Lovely gym and pool area. The pool is also a really nice size for a hotel pool. Fairly big and the hot tub was nice but very hot!
Nice river view from our room.

My girlfriend told the hotel it was my birthday and they kindly put a plate of chocolate and some bottled water in our room and a card. Nice touch.

Overall, would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat. Was hard to leave to go to vegas!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hammer_lad
Reviewed 18 April 2014

It's very difficult to describe our stay at this hotel. One has to experience it in order to fully appreciate the extent of its magnificence. I honestly cannot explain the grandeur, one has to experience it for themselves. You will not regret it.

Pickel

Room Tip: It doesn't matter what room you choose. They are all a slice of heaven!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank APICKEL
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed 6 nights at this luxury hotel just north of the river. It is within walking distance of the Loop and the Art Institute and many restaurants and shops. The front desk staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. The restaurant Travelle, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, has good food and an excellent staff. Our room was spacious and beautiful and had a great view overlooking the river.

Now for the bad: the maid service was poor. I was about to step into the shower just before going out to dinner and discovered that the maid had taken away all our bath towels and had not replaced them! This was the final straw since she had previously left a cleaning rag on top of the furniture, failed to take away dirty glasses and replace them and had removed our favorite small pillows and not returned them until the next day. Better training and oversight of the maid service is required.

We have 2 additional suggestions for the management. Please place a well designed sign near the elevator bank on the entry level that indicates that Reception is on Floor 2. We walked from the Blue Line stop at Clark and Lake and entered the building from the south. There was nothing to let us know where to go and no one in the lobby to ask. Later they stationed a staff member there, but really, a small sign would be just as helpful and would not have erratic hours. We know it is a historic Mies Van der Rohe building (that's one of the reasons we chose this hotel) but a good designer could make this work.

We ordered ice to be brought to our room about twice a day. Each time it was a long wait. It would be much more appropriate for a luxury hotel if guests could access an ice machine. Since The Langham has headquarters in London, this could be an instance of a cultural gap. We admit that we like ice in our water even more than most Americans. Occasional delay in bringing the ice was apparently caused by problems in the radio frequency of inter-staff communications equipment. Surely this technical problem could be easily fixed.

We like The Langham and we will give it another chance by staying at one of their properties in another city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side overlook the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phoebe059
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is amazing. The lobby is beyond beautiful, the views are amazing. Our room was just perfect, beautiful bedding, gorgeous bathroom, huge tv, fantastic coffee maker. This was a basic room and was huge. I am a neat freak and it was spotless. The staff were super helpful and extremely courteous. Room service was super fast. I didn't get to use the spa but when I saw it I was blown away - it was visually amazing. I used the business center and that had exactly what I needed. We had afternoon tea a few times which was delightful! The downsides to this hotel was the restaurant. When we arrived we were tired from an early flight in and we went to have lunch we were greeted by a waiter with a very bad skin condition on his nose which was off putting, the food was terrible and the chefs on view in the open kitchen were not the kind of chefs you would expect to see for such an upscale hotel. My husbands fish was dry and brown inside and my veggie pitas were sickly and warm and the fries were chewy - disastrous. We said we wouldn't eat there again but decided to go back another day for a breakfast which I must say was good although the wait staff seem to have issues. Our waitress tried to force things upon us, was not happy when things were brought to her attention and had a general attitude. That all being said I love this hotel and would stay again just avoid the restaurant its a waste of time and money. They need to focus on the menu and quality of food coming out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Emma P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I don't know where to begin... After a disappointing stay at the Trump the night before me and my money check-out of there and walked across the street to The Langham…one of the BEST DECISIONS that I have ever made in my ENTIRE LIFE. I was spoiled rotten here!! There was a debacle with my door and while security was trying to solve the problem one of the butlers brought me a glass of Prosecco and invited me to peruse around the club lounge!! (I highly recommend paying the extra $$ for club lounge access/butler service, it's either $75 or $100 per person per day). In addition, a bottle of Prosecco was sent to my room on behalf of the hotel as an apology for the "door incident." As apart of the turn down service six crispy chocolate bars wrapped in "Langham chic" were delivered to my room. How fabulous is that!! Dinner at Travelle was fantastic…I suggest ordering the lamb shank with pomegranate seeds. I love the "lady like" touches and punches of pink through out the decor of the hotel. This hotel is fancy but unpretentious…they know how to deliver excellent customer service…unlike The Trump!!

Room Tip: If you have the time…pay for club level access/butler service…it's worth every single dime.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business