“This really is the best hotel I have ever stayed in.”

The Langham, Chicago
Ranked #3 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 June 2014

All I can do is highly recommend this hotel. The service is SUPERB!!!! Every single staff member that my husband and I came across went above and beyond to make our stay was extraordinary. We absolutely loved the room and the spa. Everything was amazing. Seriously the best hotel I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geegi

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Langham for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. I truly do not have a single complaint. Check in was extremely quick and easy- they were able to put me in a room as soon as I arrived at 11 am! We had a standard room which had a small view of the river. The room was enormous and beautifully furnished. I particularly loved the buttons next to the bed that allowed you to control all the lights in the room. Each evening the room was straightened up and no detail was overlooked. Also we received a bottle of champagne and a kind note to celebrate our anniversary. The fitness center and pool were great. Lots of machines and it was extremely clean.

Overall, the accommodations and service were impeccable. I would absolutely stay here again, and highly recommend it to others!

**tip: sign up for 1865 rewards program before booking for even better deals!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmlynn05
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The room at the hotel as phenomenal...modern, large, great shower, amenities, etc. However, the rest of the property didn't quite measure up. The lobby is on the second floor and not impressive, the bar was nice with a great Scotch selection, but extremely overpriced (even for Chicago) and service was subpar (we had to wait 20 minutes each time we ordered a drink). The building is nothing to look at and feels very much like an office building -- not an old one with grand carvings and finishes, but a modern one putting function over form. A great room, but there are more overall impressive hotels in Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katway
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely superb. We stayed for 3 nights in a grand king room which had a great view, was a good size and had all the facilities you'd expect of a luxury hotel plus some really neat touches and surprises. All the staff we came into contact with were extremely friendly, courteous and impeccably trained. The location is ideally located opposite the Trump tower. We had high expectations being a 5 star top brand hotel, but it surpassed our expectations and some.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Mick G
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This property strives to be a luxury hotel but forgets that the first rule of a first class hotel is SERVICE, which is an area in which the Langham Chicago seriously struggles.

The physical plant and design is excellent. Though the office building in which the hotel is located is nondescript to a fault, once inside the clever and fun design elements become apparent. But first one has to be greeted by a greeter (if she is there) to tell you to head up through a bland sitting area to the second floor, where reception may be found. There, high ceilings, tall white doors, hanging sculptures, and moderne furnishings convey a real design flair.

Unfortunately, on the service front, the reception desk is often understaffed -- indeed, on check out I had to wait endlessly to be served. The desk staff is very sweet and obliging but somewhat clueless. For example, though I specifically reminded the staff member that I did not want a connecting room, and was reassured twice that my room was not a connecting a room -- surprise! -- when I arrived in the room, it was in fact a connecting room. Then I had to wait a very long time for the bell staff to arrive and transfer me to another standard room. Despite the incompetence, I received nothing but bland apologies. In a REAL five-star hotel the staff would have lived up to its luxury promise by finding little extra ways to make things right.

The Asian-inspired hallways are lovely and original. My standard room was really a model of design. The furniture is gracious and elegant, the beds wonderfully comfortable, the bathroom generously sized and clad in beautiful stone and marble. All of the fixtures are fittings are top of the line, solid and well made. The amenities are very fine. The room's design -- with its huge sliding door for the lavatory, under-vanity lighting, perfectly matching carpeting, wood-paneled armor, etc. -- is very well thought out. If a hotel were only about the physical plant, these rooms are top-notch. As just one example, the large window between the bath room and the bedroom turns from clear to opaque at the mere touch of a button.

But oh those buttons. There are seemingly dozens to turn on and off various lights, lamps and fixtures, but one can never seem to get the combination one wants. As an example, the bedside lamp had to be turned on and off with a standing lamp that I did not want on. Here is a classic example of faux-luxury and poor design -- on and off switches on the lamps themselves would have been far more useful.

The buttons also led to yet another serious misstep on the service front. I accidentally hit the "privacy" button and my room was never made up. When I got back at midnight the room was as I left it -- bed unmade, etc. No one had ever tried to contact me to ask me whether (or why) I wanted to come back to a messy room and climb into an unmade bed. This was particularly strange because the hotel had my email address. And as it was past midnight, it was way too late for the room to her made up.

As I noted, checkout was a protracted wait at an understaffed desk. And when I finally was checked out, no one asked how my experience was, so I never had an opportunity to mention any of this. Hence, I'm mentioning it all on Tripadvisor.

All in all, good design can't turn a hotel with sweet but middling service into a luxury property.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Chicago River
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank andrew l
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just returned from a pleasure trip to Chicago and a three night stay at The Langham Hotel. The hotel opened last September and it exceeded our expectations. The rooms and common areas were beautiful and the service was outstanding. Clearly, a five-star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We hit the jackpot with this hotel! This was our first experience with a 5-star hotel, and it did not disappoint. The room was awesome. I want my master suite at home to be exactly like this one. It was like a dream. Absolutely Amazing. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple