“Stunning hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Stunning hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Just stayed two nights at the Langham Hotel for business. Used to be the IBM head quarters and I must say much better now than it was then. Great decor, spaces, food etc and I wished I could have stayed longer! Service was excellent and loved the location opposite the Trump Hotel. I will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us—so glad to hear from you. We look forward to your next visit.

Bob

Robert Schofield
Managing Director
The Langham, Chicago.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oak Brook, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I loved this hotel.
The décor was incredible, service amazing.
It is fun to stay at a place that is much nicer than your own home!
The restaurant was great as well. So much so, I would eat there even if not staying there.
In short, one of the best stays I ever had.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, at the hotel and at Travelle.

All the best,
Bob

Robert Schofield
Managing Director
The Langham, Chicago
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

All I can do is highly recommend this hotel. The service is SUPERB!!!! Every single staff member that my husband and I came across went above and beyond to make our stay was extraordinary. We absolutely loved the room and the spa. Everything was amazing. Seriously the best hotel I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geegi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Langham for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. I truly do not have a single complaint. Check in was extremely quick and easy- they were able to put me in a room as soon as I arrived at 11 am! We had a standard room which had a small view of the river. The room was enormous and beautifully furnished. I particularly loved the buttons next to the bed that allowed you to control all the lights in the room. Each evening the room was straightened up and no detail was overlooked. Also we received a bottle of champagne and a kind note to celebrate our anniversary. The fitness center and pool were great. Lots of machines and it was extremely clean.

Overall, the accommodations and service were impeccable. I would absolutely stay here again, and highly recommend it to others!

**tip: sign up for 1865 rewards program before booking for even better deals!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jmlynn05
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The room at the hotel as phenomenal...modern, large, great shower, amenities, etc. However, the rest of the property didn't quite measure up. The lobby is on the second floor and not impressive, the bar was nice with a great Scotch selection, but extremely overpriced (even for Chicago) and service was subpar (we had to wait 20 minutes each time we ordered a drink). The building is nothing to look at and feels very much like an office building -- not an old one with grand carvings and finishes, but a modern one putting function over form. A great room, but there are more overall impressive hotels in Chicago.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Katway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely superb. We stayed for 3 nights in a grand king room which had a great view, was a good size and had all the facilities you'd expect of a luxury hotel plus some really neat touches and surprises. All the staff we came into contact with were extremely friendly, courteous and impeccably trained. The location is ideally located opposite the Trump tower. We had high expectations being a 5 star top brand hotel, but it surpassed our expectations and some.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Mick G
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This property strives to be a luxury hotel but forgets that the first rule of a first class hotel is SERVICE, which is an area in which the Langham Chicago seriously struggles.

The physical plant and design is excellent. Though the office building in which the hotel is located is nondescript to a fault, once inside the clever and fun design elements become apparent. But first one has to be greeted by a greeter (if she is there) to tell you to head up through a bland sitting area to the second floor, where reception may be found. There, high ceilings, tall white doors, hanging sculptures, and moderne furnishings convey a real design flair.

Unfortunately, on the service front, the reception desk is often understaffed -- indeed, on check out I had to wait endlessly to be served. The desk staff is very sweet and obliging but somewhat clueless. For example, though I specifically reminded the staff member that I did not want a connecting room, and was reassured twice that my room was not a connecting a room -- surprise! -- when I arrived in the room, it was in fact a connecting room. Then I had to wait a very long time for the bell staff to arrive and transfer me to another standard room. Despite the incompetence, I received nothing but bland apologies. In a REAL five-star hotel the staff would have lived up to its luxury promise by finding little extra ways to make things right.

The Asian-inspired hallways are lovely and original. My standard room was really a model of design. The furniture is gracious and elegant, the beds wonderfully comfortable, the bathroom generously sized and clad in beautiful stone and marble. All of the fixtures are fittings are top of the line, solid and well made. The amenities are very fine. The room's design -- with its huge sliding door for the lavatory, under-vanity lighting, perfectly matching carpeting, wood-paneled armor, etc. -- is very well thought out. If a hotel were only about the physical plant, these rooms are top-notch. As just one example, the large window between the bath room and the bedroom turns from clear to opaque at the mere touch of a button.

But oh those buttons. There are seemingly dozens to turn on and off various lights, lamps and fixtures, but one can never seem to get the combination one wants. As an example, the bedside lamp had to be turned on and off with a standing lamp that I did not want on. Here is a classic example of faux-luxury and poor design -- on and off switches on the lamps themselves would have been far more useful.

The buttons also led to yet another serious misstep on the service front. I accidentally hit the "privacy" button and my room was never made up. When I got back at midnight the room was as I left it -- bed unmade, etc. No one had ever tried to contact me to ask me whether (or why) I wanted to come back to a messy room and climb into an unmade bed. This was particularly strange because the hotel had my email address. And as it was past midnight, it was way too late for the room to her made up.

As I noted, checkout was a protracted wait at an understaffed desk. And when I finally was checked out, no one asked how my experience was, so I never had an opportunity to mention any of this. Hence, I'm mentioning it all on Tripadvisor.

All in all, good design can't turn a hotel with sweet but middling service into a luxury property.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Chicago River