“Just OK - not really 5 star worthy...”

Ranked #2 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
LA
“Just OK - not really 5 star worthy...”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Seems like every one of the staff we encountered wanted to be tipped but offered no real service.
Ex: Doorman - "Welcome. Front desk is on the 2nd floor." But no offer to help with the bags??? Or to find a bellman?
Furnishings were nice. Location was nice.
But we were awakened 5-6 times at night due to loud sirens and street noise below.
Do they really not have double/triple pane windows in this hotel to block out noise?
Had to wait 10 minutes at check-in since they only have 1 person on duty at reception despite no one in line in front of us and at the appointed check-in time?
Next time will stay elsewhere so we can get some sleep. The Langham does not grasp the concept of 5 Star or even a decent level of customer service.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel...
5 Thank spf1268
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you so much for sharing the details of your stay, and I do apologize for the lack of prompt attention upon arrival and the unfortunate noise experienced during the night. Fortunately, these are rare occurrences—I do hope you will return to experience our usual high level of luxury service and create far more pleasant memories.

The Langham, Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our last trip to Chicago in 2009, we stayed at the Trump, which is a fantastic hotel. This time we stayed at the new Langham, literally across the street. I have been a life long devotee of Four Seasons but the Langham has outdone them and at a cheaper price. The hotel is beautiful, the room gorgeous with every luxury imaginable and the staff beyond compare. Every time we passed someone, from manager to maid, we were greeted with a genuine smile and inquiry as to how we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could do for us. There is an uber-cool lounge and we had breakfast at the Travelle Restaurant and it was superb. The fitness center was top-notch as well and the location is in the middle of the action, as easy walk to Millennium Park and the Miracle Mile.

2 Thank pjsokal
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would rate my experience at this hotel as a five star experience. I was greeted very professionally when I first walked through the door. Any questions I had about directions or places to visit while I was in town was answered very thoroughly. The room had a great view of the city, and the maid service was top notch. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew B
Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Langham for 3 nights in June for our one year wedding anniversary. I REALLY wanted to give this hotel 5 stars…I really did. And to be honest, our stay was mostly great and really reflects 4 and half stars, but a few of the “hiccups” along the way started to add up.

First, the positives:
The lobby, restaurant, bar, and rooms themselves are stunningly beautiful. The room itself was large, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom is out of this world. Probably the best shower ever. Wonderful amenities in the bathroom, and the mini-bar was well-stocked. Turn down service was awesome. Closets are large and beautiful. All of the furnishings are modern and gorgeous. The hallways of the hotel are stunning. Everything about the décor and furnishing is top-notch.

Now for the negatives:
We reserved a “basic” King room. We booked directly with the hotel and noted that we would be celebrating our anniversary at booking. Upon check-in, the front desk noted our anniversary and congratulated us. She handed us our key and pointed to the elevator. She informed us of the restaurant on the other side of the elevator. She asked if we needed help with our luggage, and we said “no thank you”, and we were sent on our way. I have noticed several other reviewers have noted that they received a tour of their room and a “rundown” of the hotel, but we did not get this (which comes into play later…). We tried to talk to the concierge, but waited a while because he was meeting with another guest, so we never got a chance to touch base with him. So we made our way to our room with no problems and got settled in. Our room was beautiful, but I would say that we did not have a very good view at all. Keep in mind we only paid for a basic King, but we were in a weird room at the back of the building that faced an alley. Note to travellers: book a river view room if possible. Other reviewers have noted that they received room upgrades for certain celebrations. Of course this would have been appreciated, but we did not expect an upgrade and we settled with the room we got.

After about 20 minutes, the doorbell rang and someone brought up a nice bottle of Evian water, 3 chocolate bars, and a typed note from the night manager, wishing us a happy anniversary. This was a nice touch and much appreciated. Other reviewers have mentioned they received complimentary champagne, but I am not “penalizing” or docking points for the fact that we received water. It was a wonderful gesture regardless.

An hour after checking in, my husband realized he left his phone charger in the car. He called down to the front desk and was transferred to the valet, who said they would bring it up in about 15 minutes. We started getting ready for dinner, as we wanted to walk the city and get a drink somewhere before our 8 o’clock reservation at a nearby restaurant. After over an hour, no one came with the charger. We called back down to the desk, and the woman at the front desk was very apologetic and said she would be brining our charger up ASAP. She was very nice and accommodating, and we felt like she was really trying to make the situation better. We waited a few more minutes, and just figured she would bring it up shortly (which she did, with a nice note apologizing again). Because we had waited so long, we didn’t have time to walk to get a drink at a bar, so we thought we would try to get a quick drink at the hotel bar. When we had checked in at the front desk, we had noticed a little bar/lounge area to the left of the check-in area, so we walked over there to have a drink. There was a sign that said something like “________ company mixer”, and we noticed about 12-15 people mingling around the bar. We walked in and took in a view out of the window, and were immediately approached by a young woman who asked if we were with ________ company. We said no, and she said, “sorry, this is a private event”. We apologized and left, but I wanted to note that the sign out front did not say anything about the event being private, as we would have never walked in if it had. Now, remember, we did not receive a rundown of the hotel when we checked in, nor did this nice woman mention that we were not actually in the bar, but were in fact in a smaller lounge area. The main bar is actually on the other side of the elevators next to the previously mentioned restaurant. Had we known this, we would have gone over there for a drink, but we didn’t find out about the main bar until our second night. We just assumed the restaurant was on one side, and the bar was next to the front desk. We also were never told about the afternoon tea offered everyday. Had we known about it, we would have probably tried to do it.

The rest of our stay was lovely, but I will note that we did not receive any turndown service on our last night, which was really a disappointment because the turndown is such a wonderful feature and they do an excellent job. We also never received the slippers that other reviewers mentioned (and you can see in photos from other guests) on any of the 3 nights of our stay. The turn down staff would actually lay out a cloth every night on the floor at the bedside where the slippers should have been, but never gave us slippers (I even took a picture because it looked so silly!). Again, not sure if this is something that only the “privileged/club” guests receive, but it starts to add up when you feel like they are skipping steps with certain guests.

Finally, after we had checked out and left the hotel and were driving home, I realized I had left my pillow in our room (we were about 3 minutes down the road). I immediately called the front desk, which then transferred me to security. The woman was very nice and asked if I still had my key, and I replied that I did. She said, “well, it should still work, so feel free to go up and get it”. Again, she was very nice, but it would have been appreciated if someone either in security or the front desk would have offered to get the pillow for me rather than me having to go back up to the 9th floor while my husband waited in the car, after we had already checked out, but not a huge deal. Again, just these little things regarding overall service started to add up in my mind, especially compared to other 5 star hotels who bend over backwards with service.

I don’t want to fault the hotel for a few mis-steps along the way, as it really is a gorgeous hotel in a perfect location on the river. To end on a positive note, the bar and restaurant were outstanding. We stopped at the bar one night, and had the best bartender (I believe his name was Kevin). He is worth his weight in gold and is a true asset to the hotel! We even stopped by a second time, and he remembered us and took the time to converse with us, even thought the bar was packed. If we had received that kind of attention the whole trip, the Langham would have knocked it out of the park!!! All of the staff members were friendly and courteous, but we didn’t really feel like we got that “extra special” service that others have mentioned. Would we recommend this hotel to others? Yes. Would we stay here again? Probably, but we would likely get a river view room or club level room.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if possible.
4 Thank Kelly K
Thank you very much for choosing The Langham for your first anniversary celebration. Thank you as well for your very balanced notes on your experience.

I am very glad you were able to enjoy the details and amenities of your room, and I appreciate your observations and details on service opportunities during your stay. I assure you that we do treat all special occasions as very important to our guests and regret that you felt a little disappointed. The other small details in your service are crucial to our future excellence, and I both apologize and thank you for sharing those with us. We very much hope to welcome you back for another visit in the future. Again, Happy Anniversary.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First off, we are pretty discriminating travelers and debated between 4 and 5 stars for this, largely because I feel that they have a few service issues to work out. Some of the perks and bells and whistles with this hotel were so wonderful, and I have always loved the old IBM building (any Mies van der Rohe fans need to stay here), but they have some service issues to work out before I get it 5 * for the price you pay.
Notable positives:
-Front door staff very helpful and cheery. Nice work of the gentlemen there (hello to Marcus) and always great to say hello to at the end of the day. Chris worked hard on knowing/learning everyone's names. That is a touch that is appreciated (see my reviews of the Surrey in NYC).
-Beautiful lobby, well-done finishes in rooms. Had in-room espresso maker, beautiful well-lit bathroom with separate rainhead shower and nice soaking bath with bath salts/beads. Good sized amenities (full-sized iron, plush robes, good sized armoire for hanging clothing). We were on the club level so there even was a doorbell.
-Prosecco/drinks and nice assortment of snacks in the Club lounge. Not much to eat after breakfast and before about 4 pm, though. Please consider cut-up fruit or smaller fruits. No one is really interested in those oranges you have to peel and jars of candy, though they look nice.
-Housekeeping is awesome and they kept giving us bottles of more shampoo/etc. than we could ever use. (we tip well.)
-Location is perfect for River North and a lot of main attractions in Chicago.
-Hang out at the Langham bar one night! I was there by myself the night before my husband's tri and I didn't have to get up at 4:30 am, so I opted for a glass of rose at the bar after dinner. The bartenders gave me magazines, Tribune/NYTimes/WSJ, and talked with me so I didn't feel odd hanging out alone for a drink. They were truly superb. I think ?Kevin is the main bartender but they were all great. It's also a beautiful view and a nice scene; very attractive with nicely dressed people. Definitely worth an apertif or an after dinner drink.
Niggles/negatives:
-THERE IS NO SECURITY. Frankly, that was a little frightening, in downtown Chicago. You're not in Napa. One time we wandered in and looked at the lobby to see if they were open for business yet, and no one cared. Without a key card, you can go right up to the Club Lounge. No one knows (in my opinion) who is staying there and who is not. I was pretty surprised for a building in downtown Chicago that there was not a separate key card entry for the lounge level. Not trying to be a snob about it, but there is an element of security which would have been nice. Also, you could go right into the Club lounge and they didn't know who you were, so I assume anyone could have walked right in and used the amenities. There was a person there, I assume manning the desk, but after staying there 3 days they didn't even know my name, so how did they know I was staying on that floor? And not really sure what that person was for up in the lounge. Were they there just to help you print out your boarding pass? I can do that myself. When I asked them a question about umbrellas, they were befuddled and needed to call down to the front door and ask the valets about it. *it was a simple question...see below.
*I asked about having a fold-up umbrella to walk around with rather than the long-handled umbrellas in the room, since I was going to my husband's triathlon and didn't want to lug around a giant umbrella should it rain. Yes, I can buy one but it was 7 am on a Sunday and I didn't know what was open. I was told, "yes, they have those by the entrance", and "ask for Benjamin, he will have one for you". Okay get to the entrance. 1. Benjamin is not there (he just stepped out). Other lady has no idea what I am talking about. 2. Benjamin comes back---no, we don't have short umbrellas. Guys, seriously. Get your stuff together. This is a 5* hotel, and I am paying 600. a night. Can't you rustle me up an umbrella?
*We arranged late checkout and two housekeepers came by ringing our doorbell to ask if they could clean the room. Seriously, guys. Have a system in place for this. Not my problem, i'ts yours.
*Seemingly always out of plates for coffee cups in club lounge. Not acceptable. I know it's Wedgewood. Order enough so you aren't waiting on your dishwasher.
-Learn people's names. It's hard, but the Ritz and the Surrey have it worked out; I know you can. It's the Langham, famed in Hong Kong for the hospitality, so step it up a notch.
-I felt that their concierge was decent but a bit stuffy. I'm not really sure how truly helpful he was for our age group but I know if I want trendy, there's Yelp and my own internet research. Might be fine for the over 60 demographic.
-Breakfast in club lounge was only a step above airport food in my opinion. You can do better. Points for the Badoit and good quality drinks/alcohol.

Overall, not yet up there for the price we paid, but certainly beautiful and well-located with plush rooms.

5 Thank Westmount
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share the details from your stay. My team takes all of your comments very seriously as opportunities for improvement in the weeks and months ahead. Thank you as well for highlighting your positive experiences at our hotel and at Travelle. We look forward to welcoming you again in the years ahead.

Toledo, OH
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I can't believe this hasn't happened before. We booked three rooms and one party arrived early, at 11am. The front desk said no rooms were ready and to "check back at 1pm". At 1pm, the story was the same. This time the employee took a cell phone number and promised to call. While waiting in line at the desk, one woman would ignore the person in line in favor of answering the phone. The rest of our party arrived around 2pm, but still no phone call. At this point, the lobby was filled with people. At 3pm, the official check-in time, every single chair/sofa in the lobby was full and some people were sleeping. We were forced to sit in the restaurant. My husband called at 3:15, only to be told there were still no rooms available. Our daughter, in the meantime, had identified the woman behind the desk who was actually handing over an occasional key envelope. She approached her at 3: 17 and was given one room. We all went to the room. At 4pm, after no phone call, we approached that same woman and were given a second room. At 5:00pm, again not having received a phone call, we approached the front desk and were given our last room key. Several people were still in the lobby waiting. When I initially made my reservation, I had requested adjoining rooms and one room with two beds, but none of my requests were honored.

When we arrived at our room, we had the bellman bring up our luggage. I was trying to figure out what all the switches did. I asked about the one for the drapes and the one for the t.v. in the bathroom mirror. Apparently our room didn't have either. The bellman didn't speak English very well and kept saying, "No city". Usually bellmen speak excellent English and happily aquaint you with your room. When I asked what he could show me, he went to a cabinet and opened it, showing me the Nespresso machine (which quit working on our second day, BTW).

Shortly thereafter, a woman from housekeeping knocked on the door and asked if she could count the items in the mini bar.

Soooo, the room was nice, but the bathroom was spectacular. The bathroom, separate sitting room with stool, counter, and make-up mirror, and the closet were half of the room. The bed, cabinet with Nespresso and mini fridge, desk, t.v. and cabinet, and two chairs took up the other half. The bed was so firm that we found it uncomfortable. I actually love firm beds, finding that most hotel beds are too soft. Not the case here! The beds are like rocks, with a 4" featherbed on top of it. The room size, as previosly reported, was very generous. The bathroom had a wonderful Villeroy & Boch toilet (dual flush), beautiful marble countertops, and matching bathtub surround. The shower (rain and regular head) and tub were next to each other, with no wall between them. One little detail you should know is that the bottom knob adjusts the shower water temperature. The door to the toilet and the door to the shower/tub area, were unique in that they swung both ways. The towel bars served as handles. Genius! I'd like to copy this bathroom for my own home.

The next day, we set our message to "do not disturb", as we felt we didn't need housekeeping. Good thing, too, as we heard someone at the front desk complaining that they never got their room made up on Sunday. They also mentioned that they waited until 5:30pm before they could check-in. If I had "do not disturb" on my message, why did I receive a call from housekeeping, asking me if I wanted anything? It woke me up from an afternoon nap. Then, I notice that my message light on the phone is blinking. It's housekeeping, asking if I wanted turn-down service. My daughter said, "Some kid must be ringing all the doorbells", but it was housekeeping going down the hall for turndown service. You can hear all the doorbells.

When I was at the front desk asking about the business center, a man was there complaining about his suite on 10th floor. He said, "It doesn't have any windows. How can a suite not have windows?". The employee said, "I'm sorry, but we're sold out and I don't have any other room to give you."

Internet access is $7.95 for 15 minutes.

I hope I'm not the only disappointed guest to write a review here, as I KNOW there are more of us. If you book, and I know most of you will, here are some tips for you.

1. We booked through hotwire for $240/night. It's the only 5* with a 100% satisfaction rating (but that could fall shortly).
2. Spothero.com has parking available right across the street in those cool round Mies van der Rowe towers. We paid $92 for 36 hours.
3. Don't try to enter the hotel from the NW corner, as there is a large flight of stairs.
4. The lobby is on the second floor.
5. The rooms have an umbrella, so you don't have to pack one.

I hope your stay will be better than ours. We are usually Kimpton customers while in Chicago and will never stray again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank tamaralea
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for sharing details from your stay—both opportunities for improvement and compliments on our room and bathroom design. First, please allow me to apologize for your most unfortunate arrival experience. This is most rare as the entire team is proud of our ability to consistently provide the highest levels of guest service. Our normal check-in time is 3 p.m., and although we do strive to meet requests for an earlier check in this is not always available. On this occasion we were a little challenged in our housekeeping department, and unfortunately check in was delayed past this time. One of the wonderful aspects of our hotel is that all of the 316 rooms/ suites have 10.5 foot high floor-to-ceiling windows, and I am at a complete loss to understand the inference that we have rooms/suites with no windows. We are very much aware that free guest-room Internet is a key aspect of a hotel stay, and with exceptionally large 8MB bandwidth, to ensure very fast communication, we have been pleased to provide this on a complimentary basis since opening last year. It is very clear in our communications to guests that there is no fee. I do apologize for the bellman not meeting your needs and will share your comments with the team to ensure consistent standards; however, all of our bellmen speak English fluently.

Again, I do very much apologize for your delays in checking into your guest rooms, as well as your interruptions from housekeeping. We strive for careful attention and service, and constantly engage with our guests to ensure we are providing the highest levels of luxury service. I do appreciate your choosing our hotel and trust that your next visit would meet all your expectations.

Indiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed in at least 20 different upscale Chicago hotels over the years and the Langham is by far absolutely number one! The accomodating, well trained and personable staff made our visit the best anniversay stay we have experienced. Deepest thanks to Carlos for providing us with personal attention everytime we entered the club lounge. Tommy did a fantastic job of showing us to our room as well as explaining the features. The rooms are contemporary but still warm and welcoming with a great bath area and luxurious linens. Housekeeping staff are top notch. Every staff member we encountered had a smiling face and always greeted us no matter what time of day. If possible reserve a club lounge level room - we loved the availability of this beautiful area with views of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan while enjoying a glass of wine. Thank you to all staff members who made our weekend so special.

Room Tip: Club Level rooms are enhanced by the lounge on that floor and available to those guests only.
1 Thank cindyIndiana
Thank you for all of your kind words, and for choosing The Langham for your anniversary. I will make sure that your review reaches Carlos and the rest of our team. Again, thank you and Happy Anniversary.