“Terrific location and service”

Ranked #2 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
“Terrific location and service”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my husband's birthday and splurged for the club level which was great. All of the staff were incredible and we could not have asked for a thing. The room was great and the location could not be better. We walked to every thing including restaurants. For a special event, it was wonderful.

1 Thank KR5984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Whether you live in or are visiting Chicago, this is the finest accommodation in any category you could enjoy. No, not enjoy, relish. This Langham is far and away above any rival(Trump, Four Season, Ritz, Peninsula). All hospitality personnel are professionals. It is their career and they are the best. Bell, wait, housekeeping, spa, butler..all the best you have ever met.In the world.
Enjoy. Don't wait. Rates are great(for now) Try the Travelle, Chuan Sp Clun Lounge,. The rooms are without equal anywhere.!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sitnwait
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Overall a good experience. Thought customer service could have been better for a 5 star rating. The room was the best part of the experience although we found out we had no shampoo at the wrong time. I can't afford to stay at a place like this all the time so for our 10 year anniversary we booked an express deal on an alternative site. Was a little disappointed that the special occasion was not acknowledged, maybe because I booked on Priceline?...all in all the room was special customer service was not 5 star like I would have expected.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rocco C
LA
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Seems like every one of the staff we encountered wanted to be tipped but offered no real service.
Ex: Doorman - "Welcome. Front desk is on the 2nd floor." But no offer to help with the bags??? Or to find a bellman?
Furnishings were nice. Location was nice.
But we were awakened 5-6 times at night due to loud sirens and street noise below.
Do they really not have double/triple pane windows in this hotel to block out noise?
Had to wait 10 minutes at check-in since they only have 1 person on duty at reception despite no one in line in front of us and at the appointed check-in time?
Next time will stay elsewhere so we can get some sleep. The Langham does not grasp the concept of 5 Star or even a decent level of customer service.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel...
5 Thank spf1268
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you so much for sharing the details of your stay, and I do apologize for the lack of prompt attention upon arrival and the unfortunate noise experienced during the night. Fortunately, these are rare occurrences—I do hope you will return to experience our usual high level of luxury service and create far more pleasant memories.

Bob

Robert Schofield
Managing Director
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our last trip to Chicago in 2009, we stayed at the Trump, which is a fantastic hotel. This time we stayed at the new Langham, literally across the street. I have been a life long devotee of Four Seasons but the Langham has outdone them and at a cheaper price. The hotel is beautiful, the room gorgeous with every luxury imaginable and the staff beyond compare. Every time we passed someone, from manager to maid, we were greeted with a genuine smile and inquiry as to how we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could do for us. There is an uber-cool lounge and we had breakfast at the Travelle Restaurant and it was superb. The fitness center was top-notch as well and the location is in the middle of the action, as easy walk to Millennium Park and the Miracle Mile.

2 Thank pjsokal
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would rate my experience at this hotel as a five star experience. I was greeted very professionally when I first walked through the door. Any questions I had about directions or places to visit while I was in town was answered very thoroughly. The room had a great view of the city, and the maid service was top notch. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew B
Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Langham for 3 nights in June for our one year wedding anniversary. I REALLY wanted to give this hotel 5 stars…I really did. And to be honest, our stay was mostly great and really reflects 4 and half stars, but a few of the “hiccups” along the way started to add up.

First, the positives:
The lobby, restaurant, bar, and rooms themselves are stunningly beautiful. The room itself was large, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom is out of this world. Probably the best shower ever. Wonderful amenities in the bathroom, and the mini-bar was well-stocked. Turn down service was awesome. Closets are large and beautiful. All of the furnishings are modern and gorgeous. The hallways of the hotel are stunning. Everything about the décor and furnishing is top-notch.

Now for the negatives:
We reserved a “basic” King room. We booked directly with the hotel and noted that we would be celebrating our anniversary at booking. Upon check-in, the front desk noted our anniversary and congratulated us. She handed us our key and pointed to the elevator. She informed us of the restaurant on the other side of the elevator. She asked if we needed help with our luggage, and we said “no thank you”, and we were sent on our way. I have noticed several other reviewers have noted that they received a tour of their room and a “rundown” of the hotel, but we did not get this (which comes into play later…). We tried to talk to the concierge, but waited a while because he was meeting with another guest, so we never got a chance to touch base with him. So we made our way to our room with no problems and got settled in. Our room was beautiful, but I would say that we did not have a very good view at all. Keep in mind we only paid for a basic King, but we were in a weird room at the back of the building that faced an alley. Note to travellers: book a river view room if possible. Other reviewers have noted that they received room upgrades for certain celebrations. Of course this would have been appreciated, but we did not expect an upgrade and we settled with the room we got.

After about 20 minutes, the doorbell rang and someone brought up a nice bottle of Evian water, 3 chocolate bars, and a typed note from the night manager, wishing us a happy anniversary. This was a nice touch and much appreciated. Other reviewers have mentioned they received complimentary champagne, but I am not “penalizing” or docking points for the fact that we received water. It was a wonderful gesture regardless.

An hour after checking in, my husband realized he left his phone charger in the car. He called down to the front desk and was transferred to the valet, who said they would bring it up in about 15 minutes. We started getting ready for dinner, as we wanted to walk the city and get a drink somewhere before our 8 o’clock reservation at a nearby restaurant. After over an hour, no one came with the charger. We called back down to the desk, and the woman at the front desk was very apologetic and said she would be brining our charger up ASAP. She was very nice and accommodating, and we felt like she was really trying to make the situation better. We waited a few more minutes, and just figured she would bring it up shortly (which she did, with a nice note apologizing again). Because we had waited so long, we didn’t have time to walk to get a drink at a bar, so we thought we would try to get a quick drink at the hotel bar. When we had checked in at the front desk, we had noticed a little bar/lounge area to the left of the check-in area, so we walked over there to have a drink. There was a sign that said something like “________ company mixer”, and we noticed about 12-15 people mingling around the bar. We walked in and took in a view out of the window, and were immediately approached by a young woman who asked if we were with ________ company. We said no, and she said, “sorry, this is a private event”. We apologized and left, but I wanted to note that the sign out front did not say anything about the event being private, as we would have never walked in if it had. Now, remember, we did not receive a rundown of the hotel when we checked in, nor did this nice woman mention that we were not actually in the bar, but were in fact in a smaller lounge area. The main bar is actually on the other side of the elevators next to the previously mentioned restaurant. Had we known this, we would have gone over there for a drink, but we didn’t find out about the main bar until our second night. We just assumed the restaurant was on one side, and the bar was next to the front desk. We also were never told about the afternoon tea offered everyday. Had we known about it, we would have probably tried to do it.

The rest of our stay was lovely, but I will note that we did not receive any turndown service on our last night, which was really a disappointment because the turndown is such a wonderful feature and they do an excellent job. We also never received the slippers that other reviewers mentioned (and you can see in photos from other guests) on any of the 3 nights of our stay. The turn down staff would actually lay out a cloth every night on the floor at the bedside where the slippers should have been, but never gave us slippers (I even took a picture because it looked so silly!). Again, not sure if this is something that only the “privileged/club” guests receive, but it starts to add up when you feel like they are skipping steps with certain guests.

Finally, after we had checked out and left the hotel and were driving home, I realized I had left my pillow in our room (we were about 3 minutes down the road). I immediately called the front desk, which then transferred me to security. The woman was very nice and asked if I still had my key, and I replied that I did. She said, “well, it should still work, so feel free to go up and get it”. Again, she was very nice, but it would have been appreciated if someone either in security or the front desk would have offered to get the pillow for me rather than me having to go back up to the 9th floor while my husband waited in the car, after we had already checked out, but not a huge deal. Again, just these little things regarding overall service started to add up in my mind, especially compared to other 5 star hotels who bend over backwards with service.

I don’t want to fault the hotel for a few mis-steps along the way, as it really is a gorgeous hotel in a perfect location on the river. To end on a positive note, the bar and restaurant were outstanding. We stopped at the bar one night, and had the best bartender (I believe his name was Kevin). He is worth his weight in gold and is a true asset to the hotel! We even stopped by a second time, and he remembered us and took the time to converse with us, even thought the bar was packed. If we had received that kind of attention the whole trip, the Langham would have knocked it out of the park!!! All of the staff members were friendly and courteous, but we didn’t really feel like we got that “extra special” service that others have mentioned. Would we recommend this hotel to others? Yes. Would we stay here again? Probably, but we would likely get a river view room or club level room.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if possible.
4 Thank Kelly K
Thank you very much for choosing The Langham for your first anniversary celebration. Thank you as well for your very balanced notes on your experience.

I am very glad you were able to enjoy the details and amenities of your room, and I appreciate your observations and details on service opportunities during your stay. I assure you that we do treat all special occasions as very important to our guests and regret that you felt a little disappointed. The other small details in your service are crucial to our future excellence, and I both apologize and thank you for sharing those with us. We very much hope to welcome you back for another visit in the future. Again, Happy Anniversary.

Bob