“Nice Hotel in Chicago”

The Langham, Chicago
Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have just came back from my first trip to Chicago where my wife and I had a perfect staying in during 4th of July weekend. Room, facilities and services just perfect. I am looking forward to come back to Chicago and certainly will try to stay in Langham again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,612)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A tall friendly doorman and efficient staff immediately put us into a welcome world of calm after the Dan Ryan expressway, and we found a soothing yet sleek atmosphere in this Mies Van Der Rohe building which has a new panache. Everything was impeccable -- our room a large and comfortable haven with a beautiful English bath to soak in and a generous shower with rain faucets that was wonderful. A magic cabinet filled with plenty of munchies, staff that is attentive -- what more could anyone want? Well, we visited the bar -- often - and enjoyed Chicago River views, excellent wines, and smart DePaul graduates who were bar tending. Oh, yes - this is a fantastic location to get almost anywhere - steps from the Mag Mile, the Loop, public transport if you like. Walk to Millennium Park for a concert under the stars. We used to live in Chicago, and will now call this our home when we visit again.

Room Tip: Chicago River side facing south is beautiful, sunny and offers a rare view. We were on the 9th floo...
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We chose the Langham for a 3 night stay in Chicago & couldn't have been happier. Great riverside location, lovely clean room & the staff were very helpful & friendly . We ate out at 3 restaurants recommended by the concierge which were great - recommended!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank xjsracer44
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me start of with that YES I did book this hotel through hotwire. NOT because I was necessarily looking to be cheap, but because I knew I wanted a 5 star hotel in Chicago for my Birthday weekend, and did not necessarily care which one. When I was told I was booked at the Langham I was very excited because the reviews on here had been exceptional. When I looked on the website and saw the 1865 club, I was even more excited because due to a credit card I have I was able to register and receive an upgraded status to voyager. Some of the things supposedly associated with this are personalized room preferences, fruit and bottled water upon arrival, personalized welcome amenities, upgrade to the next room category (based on availability) etc.

I drove into town and upon arrival valeted my car. But not without waiting 5 minutes for someone to finally come up and help me. As I was only staying for the weekend, I only had one small carry on sized bag, so declined help with my bag. I went up to check in on the 2nd floor. The woman who checked me in was nice enough, and I provided her with my 1865 member number and she did make a comment about the status level. I also mentioned that I was in town for my Birthday. I did not receive a room upgrade, but it was a busy weekend, so at this point assumed it was due to lack of availability. However, I also never received any of the other amenities that were supposed to come with the voyager status level.

I had a room on the 5th floor, and the room itself was very nice. I did face towards the Trump hotel/street and was directly above the area where they hailed taxis. As many have noted here already, you can hear the street traffic. More importantly when you face this direction you can hear the whistle every time someone hails a cab. But, overall the room was very nice and I do always like when hotels have all the the light switches labeled with what they turn on/off. The privacy glass in the shower was also cool, and as scientists my friend and I debated different ways it could work. The closet was cedar and smelled amazing, however I needed more hangers. After looking at the amenities list I saw that you could also request memory foam pillows, lavender pillow, eye mask, hair straightener/curler etc. Since I had to call for my hangers I thought what the heck and requested a memory foam pillow and the lavender pillow. I received the hangers and only one extra pillow though it was not memory foam. As I was about to head out the door for dinner reservations and did not necessarily need the other items, I didn't bother requesting them again.

That evening we decided to fill out the card for room service breakfast. We were a bit confused as to how to fill it out given we were 2 individuals and wanted some of the same and some different items. We did end up getting duplicates of some things that we only wanted 1 of, but overall the breakfast was on time, hot, and delicious.

As it was my birthday I had booked both my friend and I services at the spa. We each got the muddy wrap and the hot/cold stone massage. I have been to many spas and this was my favorite one I have been to. The services were impeccable. The treatment rooms were huge, and the treatment beds extremely comfortable. I loved all the different saunas/steam rooms, as well as the heated stone relaxation chairs. As it was a hot, humid, rainy day we ended up spending the majority of the day in the spa/pool. Everyone/everything associated with the spa was amazing. If I had not gone to the spa, this review would definitely have had a lower rating. But my experience at the spa was so good, that it elevated my overall rating.

Upon returning to the room we were chased down the hall, and informed that we had an outside gift and would it be ok if they brought it to the room now. Turns out my family had sent a lovely bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to the room in celebration of my birthday. Both were delicious. We did however, forget to turn the privacy button off when we left for the spa and therefore no one had come to service our room. Luckily Chenae was in the hallway servicing the room next door and said she would be happy to come in and clean up even if we were still there. We LOVED Chenae she was extremely friendly and thorough (I hope she gets that 4.0 she's been working for!!) and so nice to tidy up while we sat and enjoyed our champagne.

Now for the BIG negative. I woke up the day of check out to a red flashing light indicating we had a message. I called and after being transferred several times finally talked to someone at the front desk who indicated that my credit card had declined and I needed to go to the front desk IMMEDIATELY. Keep in mind I had just woken up, and was still in my pjs. Needless to say whoever I spoke with, I wish I had remembered her name, was EXTREMELY rude. I was very confused by my card declining, as I knew there was NO WAY I had reached the limit of the card. So therefore, the only thing that went through my head was OH NO my card has been stolen. Before going downstairs I called my credit card, somewhat panicking, to figure out what had happened. They indicated that they had not declined any charges on their end and that everything was fine. Breathing a sigh of relief that my card had not been stolen, I was even more frustrated at the rudeness of front desk person as this was not even my issue. I decided I did not want to hop into clothes and run right down stairs, so I called the front desk back (this time speaking with someone moderately more friendly) and explained that my credit card had not declined any charges. She asked if the last 4 digits of my card matched what they had on file. The digits she listed did not match any credit card I own. After I explained that she then tried to re-coil and say that the card must not have read, and that there were no numbers on file. If that were the case where did they get those last 4 digits from? But she did say that I could just come to the desk at check out to resolve everything. Again at check out they were hesitant to admit it was their fault anything had gone wrong, and were unable to explain the mismatched card. However, I checked out using the very card they said had declined. I left very confused and am concerned that they switched my card and someone elses. As such I have been checking my credit card statement online everyday making sure someone elses charges do not appear.

In general throughout the stay I felt as if I were a second class guest because I had booked through hotwire. Especially during the whole credit card debacle. If you don't want to treat all your guests with 5 star service perhaps you should not even have it as an option to book your hotel through hotwire. Its disappointing to see that some guests get special treatment for birthdays/anniversaries and others get nothing, I'm not sure how you pick and choose. Also, don't expect to receive any of the benefits of the 1865 club. The hotel is beautiful, and the spa is AMAZING, but overall the service is definitely not up to the 5 star standards I have had elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Megan R
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

What a great find! After seeing the reviews on trip advisor we decided to book for 5 nights. The attention to detail here is outstanding. Beautiful finishes all around. The staff was friendly and courteous. They were very accommodating when we arrived early before check-in. The room was absolutely beautiful. We will be staying at the Langham again in the future.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

4th of July weekend getaway. Perfect hotel, very spacious rooms and great service, the perfect accompaniment to dinner at Alinea. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was large and my wife loved the toiletries. One small complaint is the noise level from the street. I would recommend as high a floor as possible. Only 14 floors here. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for the higher floors,for less noise.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Langham is absolutely fantastic! The service is impeccable. Everyone remembers your name, they wish you a good day, they truly go out of their way to serve you. Our room was amazing. Very large with a large bathroom with double vanity and rain shower. Everything is marble and granite. Bose wave radio, 50 inch TV's and a great minibar with espresso machine. The bed and linens were extremely high quality and comfortable. The pool and fitness area are amazing! The Langham is very well located right on the river and across from the Trump Tower. It is an easy walk to shopping on Michigan Ave. I've stayed in only one or two rooms that compared to the Langham, but I've never experienced the service like we did here. I can't imagine that the staff remembers every guests name.... but it seems like they do! This hotel is a definite do over when in Chicago.