“Well Appointed Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at the Langham on business for one night. This hotel has a well deserved reputation for excellence. From getting out of the cab and being greeted to my interactions with the front desk, the staff were courteous, helpful, and informative. Because I arrived so late, I didn't get the chance to sample everything the hotel had to offer but here's a quick run down:

Front Desk: easy checkin, helpful and polite. I had my key and was on my way to my room quickly.
Location: excellent. It's right downtown, near the river and many great restaurants.
Lobby: well appointed, open, and comfortable although with a modern more austere look.
Room: the room is fantastic. It was the best lit room I've been in. The room boasted many controls for lights, transparent windows, music in the bathroom etc. The bed was comfortable and the temperature was easy to set. They had already laid out both a bathrobe and slippers. The TV was large and on walking you through the many amenities. The music was a Bose unit and set to classical music when I arrived
Room plugs: Yes, I need access to more than one plug to keep my electronics charged. The room boasted a number of easy to find outlets near the desk.
Internet access: complimentary and fast enough to let me view a YouTube video without issues

Overall, I loved the hotel and room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,663)

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Right across the street from the new ( and so labeled) huge Trump tower at the bend in the river near the Magnificent Mile, this hotel more delivers a more understated, serene pampering.

From the wonderful beds to the turndown service to the absolute quiet, we enjoyed the wonderful river view (room 701 was fab right at the turn on the river but still so so quiet)

Walking distance to everywhere

Don't miss the river architecture cruise put on by the Architecture Society! Get tickets ahead of time online.

We may never leave.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Was quite excited about staying in The Langham Chicago and upon arrival, it did not disappoint. The hotel was really clean and new, decor was modern but in a classy, luxurious way. Staffs were very helpful, nice, friendly. Special thank you to Chris Baum who assisted me way before I arrived via email. And Brisceida for making the check out really smooth. Bed was really big and comfortable, so was the bathroom. Location was perfect, very close to shopping, dining and convenient store if you need one. Next door is Dunkin Donuts if you need quick breakfast before starting your activities. My room view is the grand Trump Tower. I had breakfast one time at the hotel. Selection was not very many, standard continental breakfast (bread, selection of ham and cheese, scrambled egg and sausages). They have a la carte menu of varieties of eggs benedicts (Norwegian, English, etc.). I can only put good words for this hotel and my family felt the same way. Just one thing that is making it not so perfect that room service sometimes will not wash the coffee cup after we use it and it was still in the same condition as we left it. However, I will still give this hotel a 5 star rating it deserves. I will definitely come back and will not hesitate to recommend to anyone reading my review because it really as good as it advertises and I hope it will stay that way.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Using TripAdvisor, I decided to book a room for the family downtown at the Langham. We came downtown for an event at the Art Institute and thought it would be fun to stay in the city. Since I have 2 daughters, I booked the "Milk and Cookie" package which included the valet parking ($71) and complimentary milk and cookies for the kids. I forgot to ask at check in how it worked so I called down to the desk. That clerk really didn't know. She then told me to call when we got back later at night and room service would bring the milk and cookies. We got back from the Art Institute and dinner later and I called. This clerk seemed confused. She said that they would take care of it. Then someone called and said that the cookies were there. I guess they were! I've added the photo of the "cookies". I asked about the milk and she asked me, "Do you really want that?" I guess we were asking too much of the Langham. Very odd, indeed. More importantly, underwhelming. No one but me was disappointed because I never really told the girls about it.

When checking in, I asked the girl at the front desk if the walk to the Art Institute was that bad from there. (I am from the suburbs...so I thought that it was an easy walk but decided to ask the person who should know). She exclaimed that it was really too far to walk! We walked anyway and it was fine and very manageable.

The hotel is clean and smells neutral and new. That is very important to me. Very quiet. Only heard outside traffic and hollering from the bar across the street. (We were on 6) The rooms are adequate. Typical downtown size. The kids got a big bang out of the privacy glass in the bathroom. Oh...I almost forgot...my latest pet peeve with hotels is the fact that the room is booked for 4 people...there are 2 beds but only 3 sets of towels are placed in it making it necessary to have to call for more towels. What's up with that? The beds weren't very comfortable which was very surprising. Hard and kind of lumpy

Would I stay there again? Jury is still out. We will see. The bait and switch cookies and milk thing was odd....almost a deal breaker for a high-end customer- service- conscious hotel. Wifi was free but for 3 devices....really?

6  Thank achicagofamily
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel through TripAdvisor and for sharing the details from your stay. I will share all of your notes with our team, as we constantly review our amenities for quality. Thank you again for staying with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Bob

Robert Schofield
Managing Director

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I'd looked forward to this night for months! It was lovely. Our club-level room was ready at 9:15am! Amazing. I went directly to the spa where I had a wonderful series of treatments with Treece. My husband and I enjoyed the jacuzzi and pool several times over the course of our stay. Daniel and Timothy took great care of us in the club, as did Natasha. The management sent a plate of delicious macarons to our room in the evening accompanied by a bottle of water and a sweet "happy birthday" note. We were lucky enough to be escorted out of the hotel (after a generous late check out and the chance to leave our bags in the club while we enjoyed a late lunch at The Purple Pig) by Manager Bob Schofield. He was as lovely as could be and his warm demeanor exemplified that special something that distinguishes The Langham from the other hotels of her class in Chicago. A boutique hotel experience from a well known luxury brand? Perfection in the Windy City. We'll be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Loved this property. Walking distance to Michigan Ave and Navy Pier. Beautiful, clean rooms and attentive staff. Asked for a taxi one evening of our stay and the a member of the hotel staff drove us to our destination in the hotel car. Nice. The workout facility is state of the art. Will stay here again

2  Thank Pam H
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I come to Chicago 2-3 times a year for the last decade on business and sometimes leisure. I always stayed at the Trump, which I noticed in my last 3 trips to be slowly declining in quality and hospitality. So this time, I decided to try the Langham and brought my mum with me. Superb in every way: classic and luxurious, well appointed and welcoming. The staff are extremely engaged and have this 'can do' spirit which we love. The rooms use cutting edge technology that has solved every pet peeve of frequent travellers: complete black out to sleep, a beautiful night light system (which does not disturb sleep but is bright enough to see at night), a bed that is not bouncy. The only draw back is we could hear street traffic even on the 12th floor (the highest floor below club level) yet in the restaurant Travelle, we heard no traffic. Travelle - Chef Tim is getting there with his dinner menu (superb wine) but lunch is still of uneven quality (eg crab cake was unbalanced - too sour). Dinner - love the seacuterie - must try. In summary, I shall be making the Langham my preferred hotel in Chicago.

2  Thank DNARNA2014
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

We're delighted you chose to change your routine as a frequent traveler and stay with us at The Langham. Thank you for your kind words and useful notes, which I will share with my colleagues. We are honored to be your new preferred hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

All the best,