“Perfect in every way!”

Ranked #2 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Rochester, Minnesota
“Perfect in every way!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here with family and friends. Accessible room was wonderful! Staff were great, friendly and accommodating. No issues at all! Close to magnificent mile. Went to 2 concerts nearby. Transportation was available and accessible. Hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful! The afternoon tea was a great experience. The tea and food were outstanding!
The pool was clean and the chair lift worked! Housekeeping and turn down service was top notch! Loved every minute of it! Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river on a higher floor. Fun to people watch!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've stayed in a lot of fine hotels in my life, but nothing can beat The Langham Chicago. I chose it for its location in a fabulous Mies van der Rohe building, not knowing anything about this hotel brand. A few weeks later, it was named the #1 city hotel in the U.S. by Travel & Leisure, and now I know why. The lobby, hallways, rooms, pool -- everything -- are just gorgeous, and things I don't usually care about, like room technology, also made an impact. Who would think that having a bedside panel that individually controlled each light in the room, as well as all the lights at once, would make such a difference in a hotel stay? The bathrooms were perfection (the glass between the tub and bedrooms that goes from clear to cloudy at the push of a button was so cool), and don't even get me started on the in-room Nespresso coffee bar! If my daughter ends up at Northwestern or U. Chicago, I will be spending many more delightful days at the Langham!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had a great experience at The Langham. The room was excellent. It was spacious, sparkling clean and had great features. The bathroom was the highlight, with a walk-in shower and a large tub and lots of room. It was a perfect balance between modern conveniences and classic charms. The bed was particularly comfortable for a hotel, and the technology in the room was comprehensive but not over-whelming to figure out. The location can't be beat and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I unfortunately did not have time to see the pool and workout facilities but they appear to be very nice. I am looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Victor, Idaho
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at the Langham on business for one night. This hotel has a well deserved reputation for excellence. From getting out of the cab and being greeted to my interactions with the front desk, the staff were courteous, helpful, and informative. Because I arrived so late, I didn't get the chance to sample everything the hotel had to offer but here's a quick run down:

Front Desk: easy checkin, helpful and polite. I had my key and was on my way to my room quickly.
Location: excellent. It's right downtown, near the river and many great restaurants.
Lobby: well appointed, open, and comfortable although with a modern more austere look.
Room: the room is fantastic. It was the best lit room I've been in. The room boasted many controls for lights, transparent windows, music in the bathroom etc. The bed was comfortable and the temperature was easy to set. They had already laid out both a bathrobe and slippers. The TV was large and on walking you through the many amenities. The music was a Bose unit and set to classical music when I arrived
Room plugs: Yes, I need access to more than one plug to keep my electronics charged. The room boasted a number of easy to find outlets near the desk.
Internet access: complimentary and fast enough to let me view a YouTube video without issues

Overall, I loved the hotel and room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael P
US
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Right across the street from the new ( and so labeled) huge Trump tower at the bend in the river near the Magnificent Mile, this hotel more delivers a more understated, serene pampering.

From the wonderful beds to the turndown service to the absolute quiet, we enjoyed the wonderful river view (room 701 was fab right at the turn on the river but still so so quiet)

Walking distance to everywhere

Don't miss the river architecture cruise put on by the Architecture Society! Get tickets ahead of time online.

We may never leave.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Was quite excited about staying in The Langham Chicago and upon arrival, it did not disappoint. The hotel was really clean and new, decor was modern but in a classy, luxurious way. Staffs were very helpful, nice, friendly. Special thank you to Chris Baum who assisted me way before I arrived via email. And Brisceida for making the check out really smooth. Bed was really big and comfortable, so was the bathroom. Location was perfect, very close to shopping, dining and convenient store if you need one. Next door is Dunkin Donuts if you need quick breakfast before starting your activities. My room view is the grand Trump Tower. I had breakfast one time at the hotel. Selection was not very many, standard continental breakfast (bread, selection of ham and cheese, scrambled egg and sausages). They have a la carte menu of varieties of eggs benedicts (Norwegian, English, etc.). I can only put good words for this hotel and my family felt the same way. Just one thing that is making it not so perfect that room service sometimes will not wash the coffee cup after we use it and it was still in the same condition as we left it. However, I will still give this hotel a 5 star rating it deserves. I will definitely come back and will not hesitate to recommend to anyone reading my review because it really as good as it advertises and I hope it will stay that way.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Using TripAdvisor, I decided to book a room for the family downtown at the Langham. We came downtown for an event at the Art Institute and thought it would be fun to stay in the city. Since I have 2 daughters, I booked the "Milk and Cookie" package which included the valet parking ($71) and complimentary milk and cookies for the kids. I forgot to ask at check in how it worked so I called down to the desk. That clerk really didn't know. She then told me to call when we got back later at night and room service would bring the milk and cookies. We got back from the Art Institute and dinner later and I called. This clerk seemed confused. She said that they would take care of it. Then someone called and said that the cookies were there. I guess they were! I've added the photo of the "cookies". I asked about the milk and she asked me, "Do you really want that?" I guess we were asking too much of the Langham. Very odd, indeed. More importantly, underwhelming. No one but me was disappointed because I never really told the girls about it.

When checking in, I asked the girl at the front desk if the walk to the Art Institute was that bad from there. (I am from the suburbs...so I thought that it was an easy walk but decided to ask the person who should know). She exclaimed that it was really too far to walk! We walked anyway and it was fine and very manageable.

The hotel is clean and smells neutral and new. That is very important to me. Very quiet. Only heard outside traffic and hollering from the bar across the street. (We were on 6) The rooms are adequate. Typical downtown size. The kids got a big bang out of the privacy glass in the bathroom. Oh...I almost forgot...my latest pet peeve with hotels is the fact that the room is booked for 4 people...there are 2 beds but only 3 sets of towels are placed in it making it necessary to have to call for more towels. What's up with that? The beds weren't very comfortable which was very surprising. Hard and kind of lumpy

Would I stay there again? Jury is still out. We will see. The bait and switch cookies and milk thing was odd....almost a deal breaker for a high-end customer- service- conscious hotel. Wifi was free but for 3 devices....really?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank achicagofamily
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel through TripAdvisor and for sharing the details from your stay. I will share all of your notes with our team, as we constantly review our amenities for quality. Thank you again for staying with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Bob