“Where's the free pizza?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wrigley Hostel

Wrigley Hostel
“Where's the free pizza?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Picture it. May 2014. Two strapping, young Canadians on a Pan-American road trip fly into the "windy city" with nothing but a Grand Caravan and two hearts full of dreams. We made our way to this hostel in a beautiful area of Chicago with abundant nightlife and sightseeing to be had within walking distance. When booking this hostel, we were promised pizza and parking. Imagine our dismay when we found NEITHER. We ended up having to park our van in a parking garage 20 blocks away only to find it two days later in an impound (...that might have been our bad). The hostel seems like it was sort of just thrown together and the breakfast was fairly lean (not to mention carb heavy). Someone poured honey on our room mates pillow and he proceded to accuse and threaten to beat us for having done it. Clearly we hadn't because as Canadians, naturally we would have used maple syrup!

This place has a lot of potential and the staff were friendly. The area of the city is second to none. We fell in love with the city... just maybe not this particular hostel. LOL

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fountaindale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Traveling solo and stayed here for 4 nights. Situated in an awesome location right next to wrigley field, train station and heaps of bars/restaurants. Hostel has a sweet vibe, thanks to the common room which has darts, cable tv, speakers and a pool table. Met some awesome people, staff are super friendly and place was always clean.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DRudds
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I would absolutely stay here again. They are great with customer service and provide two free meals every day. When I got back home, I needed a receipt in order to be reimbursed for my stay, and they sent it to me five minutes after I emailed, at 10 at night.

The security is great. Doors lock behind you, and you have to use the key to get in. Outside door is locked. I forgot to lock up my things several times, leaving my laptop on the bed, or in my open suitcase. Nothing was stolen, or touched at all.

I'd give this hostel five stars if there hadn't been a group of three shouting in the common room until 3am. The night manager seemed reluctant to actually make them leave, or be quiet, but eventually did so after several complaints. They were pretty drunk and belligerent, so I can't really blame the hostel. Overall, everyone--guests and staff--were very friendly. There was a great atmosphere. I stayed for a conference I was attending, and was a little nervous about a hostel, but couldn't afford a hotel.

Everything turned out great; except for the one night, all the guests seemed to head to bed before midnight, so sleep wasn't a problem. I stayed in a four person female dorm, had no problem with roommates, and no problem getting access to the shower. Towels are provided if you ask management. This is a short walk from the CTA Redline train, and I could get everywhere I needed from there. Read the street address on the building, or you won't find it the first try. There's just a tiny sign in the window.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Daphne, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here last wee and had a great time. free breakfast and little pizza party each night, also free. Cleaner than my house.
Really nice activity room with bar and big flat screen. Cooked with some guys from Germany and it was real cozy like.
Beds and mattresses were very comfy even for this old guy with an old back! Wife also liked it all.

Greatest neighborhood or hop on the L (train) about a half a block away.

Room Tip: I know the 2 bed rooms are great and I hear the others are too.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John F
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a private 4 bed room together with my friends. The room was clean. The bathrooms could be cleaned up a little bit more often. I really enjoyed the breakfest pancakes. The pizza in the evenings was ok but there are much better ones. Unfortunately the atmosphere was loud especially during sleeping hours. But all together I enjoyed my stay and I would recommend the hostel to others. The red line trains to downtown are just a few meters away so you can get there easily.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
nuremberg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Wrigley hostel is good hostel. The staff is friendly, especially pedro who is there during the night. The living room in the basement is perfect if you wanna get to know some people. The breakfast is pretty decent too. They serve pancakes and fruits! Wrigleyville is a little bit far from the lop but with the subway you are pretty fast in downtown. But wrigleyville is a cool area too. There are lots of bars and restaurants etc..

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

If you are staying in Chicago and need an affordable option I strongly recommend Wrigley Hostel. It is very clean, comfortable, and the staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. It is located in a good neighborhood there are plenty of places to eat, drink, and have fun in the immediate area. The other guests were very friendly when I stayed. I enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people over breakfast or while eating pizza and playing pool in the common area. I will absolutely recommend Wrigley Hostel to any of my friends who plan on visiting Chicago. This is a great deal!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo