Wrigley Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$320
  • Room Service
US$424
US$357
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$256
Warwick Allerton-Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$158
  • Room Service
All reviewscommon roomparking passquiet hoursperson dormping pong tableexperience stayingoffer free breakfastcubs gamefree earplugssubway stationbunk bedsminute walkbooked nightsbachelor partytea and coffeeprivate bathroombars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I always like to be honest.. So that's what's I am gonna be. The location is perfect, service is good. Though, the beds are VERY comfortable but too small since my feet were way over the edge of the back of the bed, the pillows are way too soft and breakfast was....yeah we went outdoors for breakfast since the hostel breakfast was very limited. The last thing is the shower. I accept the fact that the waterpressure is low due to the age of the building. But you can fix a waterheater. As soon as I had the shower on a nice temperature, it went straight to cold again...then to hot and then back to cold... continuously...I hope that they fix these things. Then I'll definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hostel was nothing short of amazing. Location was perfect, it was super clean and the beds were great too. But one thing the hostel needs to be commended on is their FANTASTIC SERVICE! I left my handbag with money, credit card and personal belongings in the hostel room (10 bed dorm) and didn't realize until 2 days later. I rang the hostel in a panic as I was worried someone had stolen it. I spoke to Olivia first and the the manager/owner Brendan about retrieving the bag and whether anyone had turned it in. After a few phone calls, Brendan informed me that they had my bag with everything still inside. I am so grateful for this hostel and the owner Brendan and staff. They need to be commended on their service and being unbeliavbly polite. I will definitely be staying here again. Thanks guys! Keep up the great work

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a hostel not a hotel so do not expect fancy. Everything was very basic. The building and the plumbing is old so the water pressure is not great. The facilities are clean. The people are friendly. The bed was comfortable. I felt safe there. There is no air conditioning. I expected to be uncomfortable at night but the cool evening breeze kept the room pleasant. My only complaint is that the room had no fan. In order to get a cross breeze, I had to sleep with my door open. The surrounding area is bustling. There is a plethora of bars on an adjacent street (Clark). The hostel is less than a block from the red line train so getting to downtown Chicago is super easy. If I ever go to Chicago solo again, I will definitely stay at the Wrigley Hostel.

Room Tip: The rooms not near the common area are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 18th Anniversary on July 27, 2014. We stayed at the Wrigley Hostel on July 26th, and checked out July 27th. Our room was AWESOME!!! The Staff was AWESOME!!! The breakfast was FREE and AWESOME!!! We had stayed in luxury hotels in downtown Chicago before, and this Hostel ranks with the best hotels in Chicago. Location is great, especially if you are attending a game at Wrigley. We did, and you can't beat the one block walk to the stadium and all of the excitement in Wrigleyville. We are already planning another trip and stay at the Wrigley Hostel. The Price, Location, Staff, and Rooms are great and the "Train or L" is right around the corner, if you want to visit downtown. Thank you Wrigley Hostel for making our anniversary special. See you soon.

Room Tip: Make sure if you travel as a couple to reserve the private or 2 bed bedroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Positives.
This hostel is in a great location: Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs Baseball Team is just at the end of the street (North Sheffield Avenue) and the plethora of local bars creates a welcoming nightlife just around the corner on North Clark Street. In terms of getting into the centre of town it's a twenty minute ride on the metro which you catch from Addison-Red, again just at the bottom of the street.

The hostel itself is absolutely fine. Our room was clean, roomy and bright. There is a basic free breakfast of the standard you get across the states of pancakes, toast and fruit. (After a few weeks travelling this daily menu became a bit oppressive but you can never knock the price!) There is a common area, free wifi and the staff were perfectly polite.

Negatives.
This is a new hostel and it feels like a bit like a shy adolescent that hasn't figured out how to navigate a party yet. There was no real 'vibe' when we stayed. Across the states we stayed in some amazing hostels, sometimes party hostels (eg Hostel Cat Vegas) and sometimes incredibly serene places where everyone seemed to be naturally drawn into the communal spaces to chat all night (e.g Pilgrim House Hostel, Tennessee and Hostel International, Phoenix). Wrigley Hostel doesn't seem to promote much socialising on either end of the spectrum.

The kitchen, which is in the hall only has limited space and can't really serve as much of a hub. There is a downstairs common room with a pool table (in need of repair), sofas, TV etc but hidden in the basement you have to actively search for it and could easily never know it exists. Certainly whilst we were there it was always quiet.

The layout isn't the end of the world if the staff are pro-active and enthusiastic about getting people together etc. As I say the staff were perfectly polite and helpfully when you approached them (if you could find them). It just feels like they all need a bit more confidence and hutzpah if they're going to create a hostel with the same exciting atmosphere as it's surroundings.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends