“So many other choices...”
Review of La Grande Vie - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Neighbourhood: Streeterville
Neighbourhood: Streeterville
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very inattentive service. Bland food. But definitely the inflated prices you come to expect in this neighborhood. There are so many other choices in the area where you will be treated as though they actually want you to be there, and the food will be memorable. Not this place. The expense without the ambiance.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Because this New Years Eve was snowy we decided to stay close to home and saw that La Grande Vie had a great NYE special and had late night reservations available. The deal was you pick any four menu items and you get a desert and a bottle of wine for $75.

The food we picked were; the pork belly mac and cheese which was by far the best of the 4 items we ordered, the cheese was creamy and the pork belly added a savory saltiness, the meat ball flat bread which was good, the steak which was cooked perfect, and the croquettes which were also delicious. For desert we choose the salted caramel bunt cake which was so decedent and delicious.

La Grande Vie is located in an old art deco apartment building, I enjoyed the lounge feel, is a great spot to get a drink or try one or more of the small plates. A real neighborhood gem, we will for sure be back! I can't wait to try more of the items on the menu!

1  Thank Sylvansa
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is very convenient if you are seeing a show at Broadway Playhouse. The food was good, but pretty safe. We started with the mussels which was a generous portion and the lardons in there made them quite unique. For entrees we had the char (crusted in oats, kind of bland) and the meatloaf duo (fun, the veal was the better of the two). We shared the mac and cheese (penne, standard). For dessert we had the sweet potato bread pudding (YUM!!). They have a very limited selection of wines but we were told that's changing soon. Also, the mixed drinks were ok, but nothing special.

1  Thank J A
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We thought we found a great new place for lunch near our apartment. La Grande Vie at 215 E. Chestnut has outdoor seating and an interesting inside space. We enjoyed their hamburgers, both the beef and lamb, several times. Unfortunately things did not turn out so well when we went there last Sunday. They were serving a brunch menu. My husband had the eggs benedict and I had the scramble with lox. About an hour or so later, I had what I thought was an attack of IBS which happens to me from time to time. However, it continued throughout the day, only stopping with a dose of Immodium. I was nauseous and my stomach was painful to the touch. I don't know if it was the malady that was announced on the news that night (but I didn't have any salad) or poor hygiene in the kitchen, or a bad piece of lox but I have decided to stay away from this place and I am really sad about it because I loved their hamburger with Boursin cheese.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I sure hope this place makes it! The Poutine was fabulous, and both of our entrees were great as well. It's tucked away from Michigan avenue, but well worth the few blocks. The ladies room has a one way mirror, so you can watch the restaraunt while you wash up!

1  Thank Ts04935