“Great food”
Review of Las Picosas

Las Picosas
Ranked #2,596 of 10,184 Restaurants in Chicago
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped here around 4 PM on a weekday. Neighborhood is a little bit sketchy and the place is definitely not fancy but, the food is awesome. We had tacos and they were perfect. If you’re looking for a place to take a date, you should skip this place but, if you’re looking for great food at a cheap price, go here.

Reviewed 12 January 2017

The signs on the outside of the restaurant appealed to me. I like tortas, and I wondered what they'd be smothered in...?
Service was very quick and friendly. The waitress was surprised that I wanted to dine in; I guess the cafe must do a lot of carryout business.
Signs on the wall warned diners that the chilies are so hot they "make machos cry", so I asked for the mildest possible sauce.
The waitress brought chips, along with salsa that had just a bit of a kick.
The torta was tender, delicious shredded beef on a hoagie roll. It was ahogada (smothered) in a flavorful tomato sauce. I ordered horchata to drink. The horchata was tasty, but nothing out of the ordinary. There was a small side -- something almost like a wonton; a wrapper that had been deep fried, and filled with a little mashed potato.
Prices were very reasonable.
A couple of TVs broadcast Univision, which let me know that it was Epiphany, and the Chicago Hispanic community was celebrating with Kings cakes. So when I finished my meal, I walked two doors down the street to a bakery that was *packed* with customers, carrying out armloads of Kings cakes.
There was no doubt that Las Picosas is in the center of the Latino neighborhood.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

This food was like eating in a restaurant in Guadalajara. The Salsas were tasty and the food was great.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

My son in law was craving a Torta ahogadas and this place was the place we were told to go and he left there a very happy guy, there was 4 of us and we all ate like Kings, the food was very good and authentic and the service was great.

Reviewed 10 November 2015

I went here with a large group of people. We sat right away. The staff was very friendly. Food only took about 20 minutes to come out. The food tasted average. I was hoping for a little more flavor. The place looks a little old. Bathroom doesn't have a sink inside to wash hands. It's located in the hallway area. I found that a little odd. We did have good service and prices were average. I found the table sauce for the chips to be a little hotter than what I like but that's all they carry. Pico de gallo and guacamole is extra and comes in large plate so it's enough for everyone to share.

Been to Las Picosas? Share your experiences!