“Germany Alive and Well in Lincoln Square”
Review of Chicago Brauhaus

Chicago Brauhaus
Ranked #556 of 9,530 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome to the Chicago Brauhaus For over 40 years we have been serving up good cheer in Chicago's Lincoln Square Neighborhood. We offer a friendly Bavarian atmosphere where friends and family of all ages can enjoy a good meal, a stein of cold beer and dance along to the sounds of the world famous Brauhaus Trio. It is always Oktoberfest at the Chicago Brauhaus. We hope to see you soon! Your Hosts Harry and Guenter Kempf
Vancouver, Canada
“Germany Alive and Well in Lincoln Square”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I wanted to try this place because of the triple d show. It was fine. The meal was generous. Schnitzel and sauerkraut, liver dumpling soup and excellent fried potatoes. Live music was hokey but entertaining and the place was full. Give it a try!

• Visited June 2014

Crystal Beach, Florida
“Authentic German Fare”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had to be in Chicago on business for one week in April of this year, so my wife and I have decided to dine at restaurants we have not had the pleasure to eat at in the past, when visiting Chicago.
I am sure, just like me, other food enthusiasts have seen the Food Network show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. One of the restaurants the show has visited was the Chicago Brauhaus in the Lincoln Square Neighborhood of the city, so for our first night dinner that was the restaurant for us.
If your hotel is on the river, which in this case ours was, getting to the Lincoln Square area is a little bit of haul. It is about a 20 minute taxi ride, but if you prefer, you can take the subway or as it is called the EL (Elevated) by the locals, using the Brown Line and getting off at the Western Avenue station.
Being a neighborhood, off the beaten path restaurant, I figured we do not need reservations. Sure enough, we had no problem getting a table. My wife and I were both looking forward to this dinner since we do not have too many chances to eat at an authentic German restaurant close to us.
I have looked at the menu prior to leaving the hotel, so we had an idea as to what we wanted for dinner. Still, looking at the menu, I was considering changing my selection, but at the end, we both went with our first choices.
For the two of us, the first selection was unanimous; we had to start with a bowl of Leberknodel Suppe, Liver Dumpling soup. One word comes to mind, Delicious. The dumpling was tender; the soup itself had a wonderful flavor of meat and vegetables.
For the main course my wife had selected Rindsroulade, Beef roulade with spatzle and red cabbage and I went with another traditional German favorite, Sauerbraten, braised, marinated beef with spatzle and red cabbage. If you do not know, Spatzle is a small dumpling, consisting of dough poached in boiling water. Like the soup, both of our dinners were excellent. We have both sampled each other’s dinners also and the flavors brought back memories of trips to the German countryside. There was only one little problem with our dinners. We have both ordered spatzle with our meat and we have both received potato dumplings instead. Normally, I would have said something to the waitress, but in this case I went with what they have served us, since the potato dumpling was very good also. For dessert we both selected Apple Strudel, a good choice to finish a perfect meal. In addition to the spatzle incident, about the only negative thing I can say about the food is that there was not enough of it. Although delicious, I felt that for the $6.95 soup, the $17.95 Rouladen and $17.95 Marinated beef we should have had more of what to eat on our plates. However, I must add that the amount of food we have received at the Brauhaus was similar to what you can expect when you eat in Europe at a restaurant. Hmmm….maybe I am just used to the portion size we get at some other restaurants in the US.
The service itself was prompt and courteous, but at times our tall blonde waitress seemed to be cold as ice. I can only assume that she was having a bad day and the rest of the time she actually smiles at her customers.
All the while we were enjoying our dinner; the restaurant also had live music to entertain us. Two elderly gentlemen, German I suspect, were singing their hearts out. A little dated material, but we loved it. In conclusion, the food is good, the service was ok. If you are in Chicago for a number of days, I would recommend trying the Chicago Brauhaus if you want to experience authentic German food. However, if you are only in Chicago for one night, do not waist your money.

• Visited April 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lot's of fun at a fine place to eat.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't want to eat here everyday (not much in the way of vegetables), but the music and raucous attitude were contagious! I did enjoy the meatloaf and German potatoes. The beer drinkers in the group liked the selection of beer on tap. When people started dancing around the restaurant a good time was had by all.

My only complaints were that the restrooms were down a flight of stairs and there were lots of people crammed into the space (but I guess that helped the camaraderie).

• Visited May 2014
Lawrenceville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dropped into a movie set!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This place stole my heart! We were stuck in traffic heading downstate Illinois from Wisconsin when we decided to take a break and get off the interstate. We decided by chance to eat at the Chicago Brauhaus. We were shocked at the lively, friendly atmosphere. This place had something we wanted a piece of. It was crazy busy so they herded us up to the bar. A very patient bartender lead us to make a decision on which beer to try. If you are as lucky as we were you will find yourself next to a reserved for Pete and Sharon! They showed us how to twist and yodel! They told us what to order. The food was great, the band, the beer, the people! Wow!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Julie M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Toast of the Town!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This Lincoln Square landmark is off the beaten tourist path (although it is a very short walk from the Brown Line's Western Avenue stop). Although it is out of the way and off the beaten path, tourists and Chicagoans alike should beat a path to its front door. In short, the Brauhaus is the best! The food is fantastic. It is hearty German fare, done right. The atmosphere is nostalgic, both for Germany and for a by-gone era when fun came first. Whether you are in the mood to explore very well-prepared German cuisine; listen to a lively (and charismatic) German beerhall band; dance a polka; down (some boots of) good German beer; or just want to have a great time with friends and family in a relaxed atmosphere, Chicago Brauhaus is for you! Go and experience a slice of Chicago history and German culture combined in one fantastic restaurant! Prost!

• Visited April 2014