“Best Bakery in the City!”
Review of Cafe Selmarie

Cafe Selmarie
Ranked #677 of 9,668 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Diner, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Bakery in the City!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Not so fond of their full day menu but hands down this is the best bakery in the city. Fresh ingredients go along way here. Best bakery cookies - try the florentines....they are amazing. I have been going here since Selmarie opened and never am dissappointed!

• Visited December 2013

“Excellent café and bakery”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Go for breakfast or brunch. The place is both a bakery and a café/restaurant. It can be crowded. Very tasty pastry and omelet

Pembroke Pines, Florida
“A very charming experience”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Being away from home with kids not particularly inclined to try anything new is always a challenge when it comes to meals but being away from home also means new experiences and getting out of the comfort zone.

I did a quick search online and found a place highly recommended but I knew parking would be an issue. While I kept looking, a name kept coming back and so I checked out the site and found Cafe Selmarie. I checked the menu online and most definitely decided to give it a try.

While it was not really obvious to find (thanks again, GPS...) having available parking close by was a great plus and the building from outside looked nice and somewhat like a French boulangerie. As we opened the door and entered, we were greeted by the sights and smells of freshly baked pastries and coffee. Exactly what was needed in this cold February day. The room was small enough to be intimate but big enough to hold about 2 dozen tables in the main dining room. The warmth of the yellow walls clashed beautifully with the red-colored paintings on white background and our waitress was very helpful.

The menu had all these wonderful-sounding dishes that made choosing something even harder. My wife opted for the French toast, my son for the pancakes, my daughter for the breakfast burrito and I went for a pear and Brie omelet.

In all these years, I have rarely seen all four of us so overwhelmed by the contents of our plates. It was hard to finish what we were served but every bite was so delicious. The sweetness of the pear mixed to the stronger taste of the Brie was too much to let anything go to waste. The kids even found some space to left gobble up a pastry while I enjoyed the last sips of my coffee.

And as we were finishing our meal, the place quickly filled up and as much as we were enjoying ourselves, we decided it was time to go and let others their turn to enjoy their breakfast too.

Prices were correct, about $15 per person but it was well worth it. Our time in Chicago was short so we could not repeat the experience but this place has definitely found itself a must-do on our list for our next time in town!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RR851
Springfield, Illinois
“Looked in window and Yum!”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and I had just finished eating at the German Brauhaus and were walking by Selmarie. I looked inside the window and that's all it took. Glass cases full of pastry. We enjoyed a great desert and ended up buying numerous Christmas gifts here. I also took a to-go sack full of different cookies. Cannot leave without giving a fair taste test to the cookies. Fabulous! Of all the things I sampled the only thing I can say is I wish I would have bought more. I travel to Chicago frequently and this will now be on one of my go to places each trip. I do not mind driving out of my way for something this good that I normally don't get.

• Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Delicious treats”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Whether you're looking for a quick latte before you wander the square; a sweet pastry for an afternoon treat; or a delicious breakfast, Cafe Selmarie is a great place to get all three. Fresh, consistently delicious, and charming. Try the fruit tarts, the scones, and the breakfast burrito and you'll be glad you did. Staff can get distracted as there is a lot going on, so just be ready to be a little patient.

Visited November 2013