“Good food, friendly place”
Review of Song DO Incorporated - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Song DO Incorporated
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This restaurant is a short walk from the Western stop on Chicago's Brown Line subway system. My wife and I enjoy Korean food so we thought we would give it a try. The relatively small buffet area contains uncooked beef dishes (kalbi, bulgogi, steak) as well as chicken and pork options. They bring a small charcoal grill to your table (there is a vent overhead). You take what you want to cook, bring it to your table, and cook. They provide ample utensils (thongs, scissors to cut the kalbi, etc.) We must have looked confused, and we were, because a woman came over to help us. We initially took only a small amount of meat from the buffet. She must have thought that wasn't enough, so she brought over about three times what we originally took. She helped us to cut it up and prepare it and gave us cooking hints. She was very nice and friendly.

The buffet also contains a variety of other hot and cold dishes, ready to eat. I should mention that the meat doesn't appear to be marinated, so it's necessary to had one of the flavoring sauces after cooking. I prefer the bean dip, but my wife preferred the red sauce (not sure what it is).

The meat wasn't as tender as I might have preferred, but I thought the food was good overall. Certainly I was quite full when I left!

This is not a large restaurant (maybe 10 tables). We were the only ones there when we arrived, but it got to be pretty full on that Friday night by the time we left. I don't know if they accept reservations.

Through my own stupidity, I left the restaurant without taking my credit card. I didn't realize this until the next day. I called them on the phone and they immediately said that they had the card. They said they would hold it for me, but we were leaving town so I asked them to just cut it up.

I'm happy we visited this restaurant. It was a fairly new experience for us and I enjoyed it.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

It is one of my favorite Korean restaurants to visit in Chicago. It is a total dump, but if you want BBQ, it is the best. I would probably not recommend it for other Korean dishes. It is family run and the staff really tries to take care of the patrons. For around $20 you can grill as much meat as you like. GREAT place for a group of guys.