“A Foodie's delight”

Crofton on Wells
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Grand
Transit: Red Line - Grand / Purple & Brown - Merchandise Mart
Description: Clean & hushed, decorated with stylish restraint by Crofton herself in warm colors, the space is simple & modern. The candlelit room's walls are covered in mirrors and abstract art, that hint at Crofton's creativity. There's no excess, no flash - nothing to distract from Crofton's exceptional, seasonal American cuisine. Crofton's touch is restrained but confident, from the Signature Crabcake with Italian sweet pepper butter and micro herb salad, to the Great Lakes Walleye with molten rutabaga raviolo and brown butter. Swan Creek Pork Tenderloin is a dinner standout, with smoked apple chutney, Iroquois white corn grits, collard greens and apple fritter. For dessert, try the Peanut Butter Cream Pie, which isn't kidding - banana sorbet, salted toffee cream, fortified chocolate sauce and pretzel crunch. Crofton is also famous for her Vegetarian menu, heralded by Quinoa Johnnycakes with smoked chanterelles, black fermented garlic and pickled Italian plum butter.
North Barrington, Illinois
“A Foodie's delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Four of us enjoyed a truly wonderful dinner at Crofton. The food is fabulous -- many flavors, many textures -- yet subtle and entirely flavorful. With a Michelin star I suppose the food should be -- the rating is definitely deserved. FYI -- the room is tastefully designed and wonder of wonders, a room where conversation can exist without shouting.

Highly recommended, although one caveat -- wine is on the expensive side.

Tucson, Arizona
“Tremendous Kitchen Close to Loop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I took five business clients to Crofton for dinner. The food was absolutely superb in all cases. We had the complete experience of three courses but skipped desert and settled for coffee, etc. Appetizers were tremendous, but especially the crabcake which was stupendous, some said the best they had ever eaten anywhere. The stand out on the second course was the mushrooms cooked in bacon, an absolute wow. And of the main courses, the group mostly chose meat which ranged from New Zealand venison to an unbelievably well prepared and cooked beef tenderloin kind of close to a filet, which was the best I have ever had to a pork roast. We had sides of grits, which somehow had been made absolutely delectable.
The room was conversation friendly and the service fairly efficient, although the waiter was a bit stiff and perhaps hurried. Service, while absolutely OK, gets a four star for not being particularly friendly.
Cost with wine and drink before dinner was about $150 per person.
ZB

• Visited December 2011
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service Letdown - Food Saved the Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We visited Chicago in November and went to the Crofton on Wells on the 4th. I have to say the food was amazing, but the service was below par. Our waiter was very inattentive and indifferent and we had to flag down another waiter just to get some water. We also had made these reservations a couple weeks in advance, but when we arrived at the restaurant they only had 2 tables available and both were right next to the noisy kitchen. To travel 1000 miles and hear nothing but great things about Crofton, I have to admit, it was kind of a letdown.

La Jolla,CA
“Delicate Subtle and Sublime Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Brilliant and creative cooking in an understated elegant dining room. The crab cake was unearthly light delicate essence of crab. Black cod was superbly sauced and coupled with divine squash. Halibut was fresh and perfectly cooked. Apple caramel tart with goat cheese ice cream was simply spectacular. Service is friendly, helpful, attentive and knowledgeable. A great meal at a fair price!!

Chicago
“So reliably excellent; my favorite in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I feel a little embarrassed calling Crofton's my favorite restaurant in Chicago because I don't go there often enough. We went back Saturday and again, I kicked myself for waiting so long in between visits. I have been back at least once a year for several years and I continue to vow to go more often.

As service falls and fails in other places, I go to Crofton's and get reminded of what real service is -- attentive, knowledgeable, accurate, not very noticeable (except its flawlessness), and all about the food. The atmosphere is quiet, soft-lit bistro. A small place, with the bar along one side.

Then there is the food. Classic subjects, always unique and tasty combinations. I would not have ordered the Venison except for the sweet potato spaetzle, but if I had tasted the Venison first, I would have ordered it anyway. My date had the Halibut and raved about it. Even the salads are works of culinary art with the highest level of attention.

And the S'mores dessert is a feature in itself. As are all Crofton's desserts, part of the chef's legacy speciality.

We ordered wines by the glass and I was happy to see some excellent choices on that part of the wine list.

Crofton's is priced among the higher tier of restaurants, but I never leave there feeling like anything was overpriced. The value arrives on the plate.

• Visited October 2011