“Has been better in the past...just okay this time around”
Review of Everest

Everest
Reserve with OpenTable
Everest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #313 of 9,520 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, View, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Congress & Van Buren
Transit: Right off the LaSalle/Van Buren stop of the Brown Line Trains.
Description: Located in an unforgettable setting on the 40th floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Everest allows you and your guests the opportunity to take in the glittering skyline while enjoying Chef/Proprietor J. Joho's world-renowned French cuisine, consisting of the finest seasonal fare, local specialties and organic ingredients. Our luxurious private dining rooms come alive with attentive service and fulfilled requests including personalized menus, customized décor, music, audio-visual presentations and displays. As the only Chicago member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux, Everest accommodates any size affair, from an intimate dinner to a 175-guest soirée.
Champaign, Illinois
“Has been better in the past...just okay this time around”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Decided to splurge and have a special celebration at Everest this past weekend as we had dined there before a couple years ago and enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience..from the attentive service, the excellently prepared cuisine...the ambiance...so we looked forward to having another good time there..even requesting a window seat to enjoy the view and since we were going early to enjoy the sunset... The sunset was so beautiful i must admit though that it far outshined the actual food. We went ala carte and i had 4 courses and my partner had 5....the oysters were overdressed which hid the flavor of the briny oysters we so desired...my pork cheeks and veal tongue were dry and flavorless, the sea scallops were just okay if not slightly undercooked...my lamb was good i must admit...really enjoyed the dish but my partners steak was very tough and he had a hard time eating it. I did enjoy my cheese course although for an $18 supplement there wasn't much of it...I guess i shouldve known something could possibly be wrong because the dining room was practically empty and maybe only 6 tables full the entire time we were there and we were there a full 3 hours. Such a disappointment for a $400 price tag for two. I will say though our server was very fun..always had a smile and good humor and took very good care of us.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank mooresy2

Greenwood village
“Quintessentially French”
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Wonderful French restaurant right down to les mignardises. Decor is tasteful and slightly reminiscent of Versaille's mirrored room. Great view. Food preparation was very correct. The Fois Gras was perfectly prepared and accompanied nicely by the Tokaji recommended by the Sommelier. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her duck and she said the lobster was over the top. Her salmon was just OK. Very enjoyable experience.

Reston, Virginia
“Great food and spectacular view”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

One of the best restaurants in the country hands down. Also, the view doesn't hurt! While you sure will pay for the view.. I mean food, it is worth it. Great service and all the way around world class. Next time I'm in Chicago for a special occasion, I'll be sure to come back!

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Ridiculous - Money could be better spent!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Things you need to know...Amazing view, but only 5 tables near the window. Elegant & upscale. Dinner jackets for men and evening attire for ladies. Difficult to find, if you don't know - Take Van Buren to Financial. Make a left on Financial, underground parking to your left at One Financial Place. Valet will take your car - free parking. Take elevator to Lobby, Check in @ security desk, take elevator to 39th flr, Take transfer elevator to 40th flr. - Slightly ridiculous, but it's the Chgo. Stock Exchange. When ordering, stay away from the tiny portions of the 7 course Tasting Menu ($165.00 per person). The starters are so tiny, you can't see them or taste them. (Ridiculous). The fish, veal and chocolate banana dessert seemed to be the best, but you should order the full size from the a la carte menu. We sent our veal back (course # 4 or #5 -- I lost count because I was so hungry). it was raw. The manager returned with apologies, brand new plates of veal, well done, and something we could actually taste. At these prices they should have asked how we would like it prepared. My husband ate my paper thin slice of smoked salmon, 5 tiny fish eggs (caviar), and centimeter of lobster with ginger sauce. He was less hungry. My Ketel One Cosmopolitan - $16.00. It was all vodka. My husband's cup of coffee - $7.50 and nothing special. Total bill + gratuity $476.00. I don't mind paying for a fantastic meal, great view and amazing service, but this is ridiculous!!! The service was 5-star until it got busy. If you must go, b/c you are curious, book a seating before 7pm. The dining room is not that big and the 5-star treatment drops to a 2 star craze with servers and bussers trying to make everyone else happy at that point. I went home, ate a salad with a slice of pizza. I would have preferred a night at Vivere, Quay, Gibson's and/or The Boarding House. Even if you are Bill Gates, this is ridiculous!!! I wanted to upload pictures, but it is obvious that no one feels comfortable taking photos at this place and the food is not worth photography time even from a smartphone. The two stars are for the service and the view only!

• Visited February 2013
East Peoria, Illinois
“Michelin-style food, an experience to remember”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

What prevented me from giving this place a 5th star was the price. The food was top-notch, near perfect. My wife and I ordered the Degustation Menu with the Wine Pairing. With starter drinks, sparkling water, and coffee after dinner, the bill came to $700 including 15% gratuity. There was also a $75 cancellation fee per person as part of the reservation. If you don't feel comfortable paying prices like this for dinner, then this place is not for you.

The Degustation Menu is at $145 per person, plus $98 per person for the Wine Pairing. This menu is a 9-course meal and takes about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to eat. It was outstanding and the wine pairing was spot on with the flavor of each dish. It's hard to name a favorite course because they were all delicious.

I did not find Everest a romantic restaurant--my idea of a romantic restaurant is dim candle-lit rooms with a relaxing atmosphere. This is a place to dress up, splurge, and sample exquisite cuisine. While the view is second to none, not all tables come with a view, and the restaurant is kept quite bright. There are tea candles on the tables, but they are small and due to the brightness of the room, they are hardly noticeable. There's a stuffy feel to the atmosphere.

The service was outstanding and the food even more so.

Back to why I rated this 4 stars. I've been to Michelin-star restaurants all over the world. I've had food as good as and even better than Everest, at nearly half the price. I think the Degustation menu would be better valued at $110 and the wine pairing no more than $50. I understand the pricing of this place limits the clientele to those who can afford such food, but there are much better places to eat at more than half the price.

• Visited February 2013

Been to Everest? Share your experiences!