“Excellent for group dinner!”
Review of Everest

Everest
Reserve with OpenTable
Everest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #307 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: View, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Congress & Van Buren
Transit: Right off the LaSalle/Van Buren stop of the Brown Line Trains.
Description: Located in an unforgettable setting on the 40th floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Everest allows you and your guests the opportunity to take in the glittering skyline while enjoying Chef/Proprietor J. Joho's world-renowned French cuisine, consisting of the finest seasonal fare, local specialties and organic ingredients. Our luxurious private dining rooms come alive with attentive service and fulfilled requests including personalized menus, customized décor, music, audio-visual presentations and displays. As the only Chicago member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux, Everest accommodates any size affair, from an intimate dinner to a 175-guest soirée.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent for group dinner!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We hosted a dinner here for 45 people and everything was great. The service level was what you would expect from a high end restaurant and the food quality was excellent as the filet melted in your mouth and had a nice portion of lump lobster meat on top. The ambience was great for our size group in the main dining room and the view was cool overlooking the back side of Chicago with all the lights. I will say the view is definitely nicer at night with the lights, than in the daytime. It was great working with their staff to plan our event as they were very accommodating and flexible to meet all of our needs.

• Visited November 2013

Maui, Hawaii
“Excellent Cuisine, Service Misses Widely”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The sheer deliciousness of the cuisine saves Everest from a lower rating.

We went with six people and enjoyed a variety of things including foie gras, truffle risotto, magret of canard and good fish.

There is a certain pace to a great restaurant: the service is just right, not rushed but just paced well enough to allow you to enjoy conversation without feeling like you are waiting for the next dish. This was not the case at Everest: The quantity of staff was plentiful, the attentiveness was not good. We waited too long between courses and, as noted below, there were a couple of absolutely unacceptable occurrences.

How can there be so many servers/bussers/sommeliers and yet the basics are not handled: no toilet tissue in the ladies' washroom! Coffee ordered at the end of the meal did not arrive. We could have insisted on the coffee, but we were tired after this unusually long meal, we just wanted to leave.

It's sad, really. The cuisine is extraordinarily good and, as noted, there is adequate staff.
this, woulda, coulda, shoulda been a five-star revue.

• Visited October 2013
Chicago
“Old school”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

No bleached wood floors or waiters in black t-shirts and jeans here. This is pure 1980s old-school "power restaurant" - the type of place you see in movies when the scene is set in a "fancy" restaurant. It's also an older crowd; we are in our mid-30s and were (I think) the youngest couple in the room. Saturday evening at 9:30pm and it was still a fully packed room, so make sure you have reservations. (Note on that, I called Friday night to make a reservation over the phone and was told that they were "fully booked" for Saturday. Obviously not the case since OpenTable had spots open at any time and in fact I ended up making a rather last-minute reservation on Saturday).

Some come here for the view. Don't do that. Honestly, go to the Signature Room for the best dining view in the city if that's what you are looking for. The view at Everest is nice, yes - but it's a relatively common view in the city from many high-rises. And not only that, but since it's a small restaurant, there's only a few tables at the windows - and they are set up perpendicular to the windows, so if you are dining as a couple, someone is going to end up with their back to the window! This wasn't a big deal for us as we didn't come for the view, but if we had I would have been quite disappointed.

Service was very good. Quite formal, but I guess that's what you'd expect here. Not stuffy or snobbish. The bar had everything we asked for - and we asked for quite a bit, including the Brazilian liquor 43 and green chartreuse.

Food was good...just not that memorable. We got the 7-course tasting menu with wine pairings (vegetarian for me, regular for my other half). The bread was very good as was the first plate of appetizers, including a squash puree and a small amount of mushroom soup. I liked the risotto course, though it was quite small. I wasn't crazy about the dessert, though I never fare well with desserts at these types of restaurants as I prefer my desserts to be very basic and not "creative" like the pumpkin/chocolate confection we had).

I'm glad to have gone here because I'd been curious about it, but don't think I'd return. While interesting, the ambiance is not really my speed. And at this price tag, I just think there are better restaurant experiences to be had. It is not in the same league as Alinea, but I think it is outdone by a lot of the other Michelin restaurants in the city (Boka, Naha, Blackbird).

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Sunny77777
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Food”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

With our Indian hosts we visited this fabulous place and were not disappointed! The food was really super, a great variety as is in many good Indian restaurants and service was excellent. It helped that we were kinda early and the crowds were less, so we were waited on pretty well and instantly served our heavy appetite for delicious Indian delicacies, some of whose names I do not even remember!

We were glad we went to this Indian place rather than the others my hosts were thinking about. Absolutely recommend.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Good alternative”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The two things to say about this place is that is only very good food and a nice view from the heights.

• Visited October 2013