“ARCTIC & frosty welcome”
Review of Cyrano's Farm Kitchen - CLOSED

Cyrano's Farm Kitchen
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: La Salle & Ohio
Transit: La Salle/Ohio bus - close to the Red Line
Description: Cyrano's Farm Kitchen, owned & operated by acclaimed chef Didier Durand, features a fresh, rustic menu from his childhood days in southwestern France. The food is French Farm Cuisine and will remind you of a simpler, healthier, tastier time. The atmosphere is warm and country and features 125-year-old barn wood. Cyrano's Farm Kitchen is located in the heart of River North.
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

1st time I'm writing a negative review. Place recommended by the concierge of our hotel.
Dinner, ~+ 8-8.30 pm
Although the place in itself looks quiete nice, the welcome was cold, ARCTIC cold. No greetings, no smiles! Only 1 table occupied. When we sat down on the banquette, the seating was VERY low and uncomfortable. The server poured water with a frosty attitude bordering rudeness. No reply to our greeting.
The menu looked imteresting but the vibes felt were so bad that we left the place without having dinner. The waiter didn't even ask what the problem was. We are European French speakers (not French though) and thus familiar with the French cuisine and culture. This place doesn't reflect these. Even without tasting the food, this was a short but awful experience. With a different attitude the evening experience might have turmed out differently. We do not recommend this place.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Ok the location is not on trendy street and tourist drive (it is 1 block away) so you can get a table just about any time. We were there when the Chicago Blackhawks were playing for the Stanley Cup so it was quiet for a Saturday night. The chef/owner (Didier) was as engaging as the wonderful food. There décor is rustic French countryside. The background music was ambient (not too load and not an elevator style. Comboi of French, Spanish and jazz). There is a cabaret room downstairs with live entertainment though I just had a look as we had dinner upstairs. The prices are reasonable (especially for French) and the presentation was great. The duck terrine came on a board and my wife loved it. Our Aussie friend (I'm an ex-pat) had the soup of the day (mushroom) and could not stop raving about it. I had the French Onion soup which was refreshingly... done right (I have had it in other French places in Chicago and in Nice and they are usually too salty or just plain bland). The steak frittes was simple, cooked right and delicious. No room for dessert. Oh, the baguette was fresh and hot, combined with the herb butter would have been a meal in itself! The waiter (Randy) was able to make intelligent suggestions and ably described how the dishes we asked about were created. This is going to become our "go to" place. Finally the hostess is called "sunshine: so when you come say Hello, Sunshine! Great experience over all.

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Friendly service on a fairly quiet Monday night. Excellent thin fries served with a very juicy hamburger. Good Value

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I've been going to Cyrano's for well over a decade. They've recently updated to be "Cyrano's Farm Kitchen." While the interiors are different, I don't perceive a huge change in the food and wine concept. This is not your high-end frou frou French food. This is good stick to your ribs traditional French cooking. In the past, the service was a bit spotty, but the last few times I've been, including the most recent visit, I have had attentive and knowledgeable service. The cassoulet is delightful, especially on a cold snowy Chicago evening.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended and we were appalled with our experience at Cyrano's. First of all the waiter was terrible. We had to flag him down for everything (can we have a menu, bread, water, etc.), he brought the wrong beers (harvest beer in February). The food took over an hour. My steak and fries were cold when it finally did arrive. The food itself was surprisingly mediocre - McDonalds french fries, dry and tasteless chicken/crepe appetizer. As we left I told the chef how disappointed we were and he stated "this was my fault. I messed up tonight. Let me make it right and mail you a gift card." We've waited 10 days and nothing...