“the food is probably a 3...”
Review of Barro Mexican Cuisine - CLOSED

Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
“the food is probably a 3...”
Reviewed 13 January 2008

the food is probably a 3 star, but the service is the worst in chicago (and that is saying something)

Ohio
“Skip this restaurant - food and service is lousy, place is dirty.”
Reviewed 20 November 2005

First of all, I love mexican food and eat it any chance I can get. My girlfriend and I went to Barro on my birthday on a Saturday evening and our experience was so bad we decided to pay up and leave after having our appetizers. For starters, the waiter took 15 minutes to show up with the menu and to take our drink order. During this time we had time to look around at the dirty walls, floor and fixtures. We each ordered an appetizer - mine was a tortilla soup in a chicken broth with a chunk of guacamole, a chunk of onion and glob of cheese floating in it. Looked gross and tasted terrible. I ate better food as a broke college student on a buzz at 2am. The fish in the ceviche I ordered was non-existent; instead the onions, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice were abundant. The ceviche was served with musty smelling corn chips.... My girlfriends' emapanadas were cold right out of the kitchen. For $26.00 we had 3 lousy appetizers and I had a Negro Modelo. And get this...after the cashier asked me how the meal was, I told him it was terrible at which point he told me he didn't want to hear about the complaint because he was working there that night on his birthday as a favor and really didn't want to take a complaint. Guess he shouldn't have asked. Needless to say, we won't be coming back.

1 Thank JTGraziano
Chicago
“Now Weekend Latin Lounge”
Reviewed 14 January 2005

Hey, this place just kicked off a Latin Lounge night on Saturdays and I hear they will add Friday's starting in February. Great DJ's spinning reggaeton, merengue, bachatta and hip hop. CUTE Bartenders!

2 Thank WindyCityTripper