“Yummy pork shoulder!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: Logan Blvd.
Transit: Logan Square- Blue Line
Description: Since 1999, Lula has served locally sourced creative cuisine in a relaxed cafe setting from Chef Jason Hammel.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm never a meat eater but last night at Lula I just helped myself with extra. I'd ordered the crispy rice crepe and my husband ordered the pork shoulder. Mine was good, very light and tasty. However, after I took a bite from my husband's dish, I'd second and then almost half the portion. It was cooked to a point that it seemed the meat just melt in your mouth. It's a must try!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Second time at Lula Cafe and first time writing a review...this is a place I really like, a bit funky/bohemian with great servers who are packed with energy. I particularly like the menu that's simple, fitting on one small page, not page after page like many eating establishments menu's that resemble a phone book. The food is fresh, tasty and always has a particularly unique twist to some traditional recipes. I had their turkey sandwich for lunch and it was a mouthwatering experience.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Dinner last night at Lula was outstanding. Even as run of the mill suburbanites we felt very welcome at the hip scene at Lulas and enjoyed the atmosphere. We decided on the 6 course vegetarian tasting menu and were delighted with each course. The courses were not listed and each one was a surprise which I won't spoil here. Kitchen staff came out and explained each course as it was served so we could understand the ingredients and preparation. We aren't vegetarian but really enjoyed the change of pace and flavors. We saw many other dishes that also looked delicious. I highly recommend this gem on Logan Square.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I'd been wanting to try Lula Cafe for years, but never had the patience to come for brunch - such a long wait! Mom and I came for dinner when she visited me in the city. Our server was very friendly and accomodating - she helped us switch tables on a busy night, because the table we were given had one seat facing directly into a shadeless glass window, staring into the setting sun - ouch, my eyes! A lot of the seats near the window had that problem so on a very sunny evening, you might want to sit near the back of the restaurant unless you like wearing your sunglasses inside.

As everybody knows, it seems, Lula has a menu of standards and an ever-changing seasonal menu with lots of lovely surprises. We started with one of these seasonal picks, a salad of wild greens and edible flowers with a chamomile vinaigrette. It was a stunningly beautiful salad, and my mom said it was the only way she had ever enjoyed eating radishes. It was on the bitter side, but that was just the nature of the herbs and wild green leafy things.

Our next course was the Prawns a La Plancha, two big ol' prawns that were perfectly cooked (heads still attached) with fried squash blossoms and other goodness. Third course was the Loup De Mer which was fantastic. This means "wolf of the sea" and it was a delectable fish served with quinoa and fava bean salsa. This was a really outstanding entree, the fish cooked to flaky perfection.

We had dessert too but I can't remember what it was anymore... all I know is that you really can't go wrong here, especially when you try the seasonal menu. You know you are getting the freshest, most thoughtfully prepared ingredients.

I'll have to suck it up and come back to try brunch sometime!

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Not one dish was below excellence. The mushroom and beer bisque was delicious, easily shareable, ask to split into two. The squid braised in ink was also really good and was a very generous dish in terms of amount. The celery root was a beautifully executed dish. Also ordered the monk fish and the game hen. Both delicious. For desert, we ordered the terrine, which was like most terrines I've tasted before and the sweet potato pie, twas a good pie considering I dont like cinnamon pie. Will definitely come back again!