“the best chicken pot pie all around”
Review of Silver Cloud Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Silver Cloud Bar & Grill
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The service is always good and corteous and prompt. The menu has something for every taste and the staff is knowledgeable about the ingredients. After the food, the most impressive feature about The Silver Cloud is that when you walk in the door the second you step in front of the podium someone will warmly greet you. It's like when you go visit someone's home.

1  Thank rbmusic50

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Silver Cloud is a darling tavern that feels like a retro 1940's joint. They bill themselves as offering great comfort food and I saw several things on the menu like grilled cheese, chicken pot pie and macaroni and cheese that sounded like wonderful comfort food.

However, we were there for brunch so we stuck with the breakfast options. First, the bloody mary selection is terrific and they were delicious as was the pineapple mimosa (several choices there, too). Each member of our party ordered a different breakfast item--omelet, eggs benedict, skillet--and no one was disappointed.

I had the smoked salmon eggs benedict. I will say that one of my poached eggs was poached hard while the other was perfect. I was genuinely sad because one of the best part of poached eggs, in my humble opinion, is the yummy yolk soaking into the bread (in this case, bagel because that's how Silver Cloud does their bennies). The waiter was there immediately after delivery of our food and I told him I was sad. I didn't complain or ask for a replacement but he took one look and said, "Oh, that's unacceptable. I can see by looking it's overcooked. Let me fix that right away." We took the overcooked egg off my plate (sans the lox--I'm no dummy!) and he replaced it almost immediately to another done to perfection. The flavor was exquisite. I don't often order eggs benedict because hollondaise can be SO heavy and sometimes sickeningly sweet. I'm glad I gambled here because it is my new standard which all eggs benedicts shall now be judged!

They take reservations, too! I would hit this quaint little place in the Wicker Park neighborhood again and again. Prices are good. Service is excellent and food is terrific!

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We enjoyed dinner in this pub on Martini Monday: $5 per drink. Irresistable. I had a martini with whipped cream on top (smoretini), which was a new culinary experience for me. If you order an entree after 5pm, you can get a soup or salad for only $1,95. The basil soup was loaded with vegetables, spicy, and a real treat. We hadn't even finished the soup, when the entrees were served.The meatloaf my wife had was very good, but the green beans were a bit too cold. My tuna steak was tender and nicely seasoned, but prepared too hastily: the inside was too cold. Some time out of the fridge before cooking would have improved the overall quality. And before the clock had struck another time, we were on our way back to the hotel.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

This is a must for anyone craving comfort food. Their stuffed turkey sandwich: toasted bread with sliced turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce is THE BEST! Get it with the mashed potatoes. You won't be sorry. Sloppy Joes, pot pie and pork chops are also awesome. As for drinks, LOVED the Purple Rain. I can't tell you now what was in it...but ordered a second. Very tasty. Service rocked! We've been there on three separate occasions and felt like we were at home.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I loved this place. The beer, food and service where some of the best i had on this trip. And it was the most inexpensive over all.