“thought we'd starve”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Loop
“thought we'd starve”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I love Greek food and I didn't have super high expectations as other restaurants I had been to in Greek town had been fine but ordinary. I would have been happy with fine but ordinary. Our friends like the place and made the reservations for a busy Sunday. We arrived at 5:30 after a concert for our 6 pm reservation and they were able to seat us which we appreciated.

Then the fun began. To me, Greek food means lamb and they had several good looking lamb dishes on the menu including a lamp special. Although it was only 5:30 ALL of the dishes we wanted were in the 'we have run out of that' category. The waiter kept pushing kabobs on us -- a dish that is reliably dry in my experience. We finally got a whole fish that was excellent but none of the other main dishes we wanted were available. No lamb in a Greek restaurant on a day when they had a full house with reservations and still early in the evening. We ended up ordering soup and a couple of extra appetizers and giving up on the main courses besides the very nicely done fish.

When we got in the cab the cabbie said 'oh yeah, people are always saying they are out of food when I pick up there.'

• Visited May 2014

canberra
“Cheap & Cheerful & More”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Santorini’s in Chicago’s Greek Town is no exception to the general run of the mill, cheap food, arrogant service and unimaginative taste in venue and meals. But it has a saving grace. They have good olive oil. It is Greek oil, and they assert that it comes from their family farm in Greece, but wherever they get it, it has such good quality that it overcomes a few instances of “Oops” (not “Oopah”) in the kitchen. Definitely try the spanakopita as a starter. I make it by heating oil in a frypan, then adding a bit of onion, shallots and a load of fresh (not dried) garlic. Add some spinach and dill. Then add the usual array—to your taste—of cheeses, nutmeg, egg, and dump in some pepper and a bunch of sea salt. It works. For me, this restaurant makes the best spanakopita. No one in Canberra can do it right, and despite trying to find a restaurant in Sydney or Melbourne over the years, I doubt anyone on the eastern seaboard can make it right.
The restaurant does all the traditional dishes. The saganaki seems to have a twist of lemon and ouzo because the flame leaps ceilingward at the hint of a lighter. We all had red snapper and lamb chops. The food is good. The service was friendly. The owners watch the staff and the customers. I told them about the dearth of Greek restaurants in Australia. They laughed. “They are all too rich. We have family there. They own property.” Maybe they’re right.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank roemanner
“Greek Birthday dinner”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I had read the reviews of this Greektown restaurant and since my true first choice would of been Diana's, which had closed. We ventured to this little gem. The saginaki and avogolomeno soup were excellent, some of the best I have ever been served. The fried calamari was extremely fresh and made to perfection. Will definitely venture back here again.

• Visited February 2014
“A Favorite”
Reviewed 25 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The best grilled calamari in the city! Been going to Santorini for many years. Very constant in terms of excellent food quality and service.

Visited November 2013
“When in Chicago ... Feel blue and white at Santorimi”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Service grwat and atmosphere outstanding and food very good
Cozy winter retreat w fireplace
All tables had patrons laughting and just enjoying
Grilled octopus and squid, baby lamb chops, rice, salad were all perfect
Lots of choices for dessert
Would return if we had time

• Visited December 2013