“Great atmosphere and service, significant portions too”

The Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #251 of 10,173 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Streeterville
Cross street: Delaware & Michigan
Transit: Chicago Red Line
Description: As soon as you walk through the doors of The Grill on the Alley in Chicago, you are transported to another time and place reminiscent of the great American grills of yesteryear. The unique decor has an elegant feel with its polished hard wood floors, leather banquettes, and white linen tablecloths. A virtual art gallery adorns the walls of our many dining rooms while the sounds of Ella Fitzgerald linger in the background as white-jacketed waiters attend to your every need. Since opening in June 2000, this high-end steak and seafood house has made its mark on Chicago with locals, and tourists alike. The Grill has become one of the most popular places to gather for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all types of special occasions. Located on the floor level of the Westin Hotel, The Grill on the Alley is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Chicago with easy access to the McCormick Place Convention Center, shops, museums and theaters.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We tried the Grill for breakfast on our first morning of NeoCon, and came back for the next three. The restaurant serves excellent breakfasts; the smoked salmon bagel is heaped with lox, very nice cream cheese, onions and capers - easily a full meal as the bagel is huge. The egg white omelette is absolutely stuffed with vegetables including fresh avocado and is very large (and filling) as well as tasty. The coffee is actually very good. Good service and food, I will be back.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

We had chicken pot pie which was great. We split the pie. Our salads were excellent, and we liked our waiter very much.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

I stopped in for an early dinner and had several appetizers (crab cakes and ahi tuna) which were delicious and very filling. Service was superb, and the wine list was extensive. I also enjoyed the clubby, intimate atmosphere. It's definitely worse a visit!

Reviewed 19 May 2018

It's a cozy place frequented by locals and business people during the day; Hotel guests and locals in the evening. The atmosphere is a "gentleman's club" with red leather banquets, dark wood Captain's Chairs and a lot of wood and brass. It's olde school but quite comfortable. The waitstaff actually wear white coats instead of T-shirts with ties or catchy advertising silk screened on them. The restaurant has numerous rooms for larger crowds, artfully closed off. I found myself lost in one of them.
Here's the deal: I was raised on Tuna Melt from Emil Villa's in Walnut Creek CA. The only ones that I've found since are an ice cream scoop of cold tuna salad on toast with a square of processed cheddar cheese on top, put under the salamander/grill to heat it up. The tuna salad is always cold under the rubbery cheese I don't know why I took a chance and ordered it but was I glad that I did. It was served sandwich style rather than open face, on toasted buttery Brioche bread. The filling of tuna was surprisingly and pleasantly warm! The cheese was a perfectly melted Gruyere My partner had the tuna tacos. Four crispy taco shells with shredded lettuce in what tasted like a Kewpie Mayonnaise and a dollop of Shiracha Mayo. The tuna was Sashimi quality, lightly seared on each size; two pieces per taco.
Here's the kicker; with a glass of wine the lunch cost was $30.00 per person.
We spent $50.per person at Coq D'or (Drake Hotel) last week.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Amazing food, service, and atmosphere. If you want a perfect place to eat, come here. The wine, appetizers and specials were exactly what we needed on this beautiful spring day. Next time we visit Chicago we will come back for dinner!