“Delicious no matter how you slice it!”

Oak Tree Restaurant
Ranked #598 of 9,675 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Ontario
“Delicious no matter how you slice it!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I travelled to Chicago December 25 to 30, 2013 and we ate here three times!

What I had and highly recommend:

1) Vegetable omelet with fried potatoes and rye toast. The omelet was so large that I couldn't finish the potatoes and the rye toast was delicious! Even when I didn't have a meal with it, I'd ask my husband to order it with his so I could have half a slice!

2) Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and salmon roe. The salmon roe adds to the saltiness of this dish so if you don't like it too salty, just remove it as I did. This was a not-to-miss meal!

3) My final meal and one I wish I could walk up tomorrow morning to have again was the French Brioche Toast with fried bananas and mascarpone. It was so delicious you don't need syrup! The banana's were fried in a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon - so yum!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ImogenDharma

Newport Beach, California
“Expected So Much More Based on the Menu”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Planned our breakfast meals while visiting Chicago and came across Oak Tree Restaurant which is in the 900 Michigan Avenue Shops. Given the wonderful variety of the menu which I perused while still in California, and the location one block from our hotel and the upscale shops in the Mall, I assumed it would be fabulous. It wasn't.

The decor is "cutesy" and modern. The booths were meant to be comfortable with throw pillows as back cushions, but I actually needed help getting out of the booth which appeared to be 18" off the ground! The food service was excellent but our entrees were lackluster and unimaginative. There was no pride taken in what they served. Relatively expensive for what you get, the two eggs were apparently from Cornish Game Hens. Meaning I didn't know eggs came that small. The quantity of salmon on my eggs benedict can best be described as merely a rumor and also salty and possibly out of a package.

One of the complaints I have with many California restaurants is that they seem to trade on their decor and views, with food not being a priority. Yes, I am originally an East Coaster who believes the best tasting food starts in Chicago and travels east of there. Californians, with apologies to my friends, largely accept mediocrity in their food probably because other than Mexican food, they never really HAD good Italian or shellfish, so what do they know? The restaurants survive on their surroundings and with no objections to the quality of their food being expressed, they continue to flourish.

Long way of saying, this restaurant would have been right at home in California. I was very kind in giving it three stars because my wife liked staring at all of the stores we couldn't afford while dining....

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Malelaw
St. James, New York, United States
“Nice Place for Breakfast”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stay at the Four Seasons when we're in Chicago and it's good to go out without going out early (Oak Tree opens at 7:30 am) in the morning. The restaurant is connected to the hotel at the sixth floor. The food and service have always been excellent. We don't eat pastries, but they sure look great.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank HarlanJF
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hidden gem on the Mag Mile. Fresh cinnamon swirl bread, great breakfast, service and views. Will definitely be back.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Matt F
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Breakfast, Breakfast, Breakfast!!!!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Wow...such a great place. Go in through the Bloomingdales entrance from Michigan Ave. up to the 4th floor for a delightful breakfast. BEST salmon/lox I've ever had. Great spread, wonderful service, very attentive. Coffee refills a plenty. The manager came by to see how we were doing. Very friendly staff and just an overall fun experience. Excellent coffee. Neat view down Michigan Ave. Enjoy!!

• Visited October 2013