“A well hiden secert in Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago”
Review of Piccolo Mondo

Piccolo Mondo
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccolo Mondo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #858 of 9,767 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$30 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Hyde Park
Cross street: Cornell
Transit: From downtown Chicago, take the #6 bus to the S Hyde Park and 56th street stop near the Museum of Science and Industry. We are located one block to the west.
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have been going to, "piccolo Mondo's" for better then 20 years and it is always great. The food is, Spanish Tapas & Italian" it is wonderful and special . The ambience is interest, inviting , and very warm. A place to enjoy a glass of wine and just sit and enjoy the company of the person your with. The servers never rush you and a very accommodating, and helpful if you need ideas as to what to order.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Have been here three times and was always pleased with the food, wine, and service. My wife and I had Chicken Marsala and the Chicken Lemond...both were very good. Nice restaurant, conveniently located in Hyde Park. Worth a visit!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Went here thinking I will find oriental food (long story...) and found a very friendly place, with classic food, friendly service and reasonable prices.

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I found this cozy place while I was staying in Hyde Park during the summer. It was closed for a bit while some remodeling was being done either to the restaurant itself, or to the residential building in which it is housed.
It wasn't until this past weekend that I had the opportunity to dine there. My daughter and I were in the neighborhood visiting a museum, so I decided to check it out.

The inside was welcoming, not hoity-toity. I felt comfortable in my jeans and pullover, even though other diners were wearing more formal attire, sportcoats and button-down shirts. And the lack of schmaltzy "Italian" music or fake rustic scenes of the old country were a nice change.

We were greeted promptly and seated at the linen-covered (well, PAPER-covered, linen-covered...sigh. I know, everyone is doing it) table. The waiter (yeah, a waiter. Servers work at TGIFridays) was very professional, not obsequious, not indifferent.

We shared an appetizer of fried calamari. It was excellent. Golden and crisp on the outside, and very tender on the inside. Not rubbery in the least.

For entrees, my daughter enjoyed grilled calamari (yeah, she loves the squids) pasta in a delicate lemon butter sauce. I had a very generous portion of lasagne. Both meals were well-made.

Was it the absolute best Italian food in Chicago? Probably not. Fanciest setting? Nope. But the combination of the nice atmosphere, great service, excellent food at a reasonable price makes it a winner in my book. So after a long day at the Museum of Science and Industry, walk a block north for a nice dinner.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I recently enjoyed supper at the Piccolo Mondo a year after my last visit. Our evening was great are even better than before. Despite the restaurant being full our service was attentive without being intrusive. Food was sublime. We enjoyed home made bread, great antipasto selection and one of the nicest pastas I have enjoyed for some time. Food was cooked to perfection. Shellfish in pasta had just the right texture and perfectly balanced flavors. Definitely worth the visit to the south side.