“If this is Dim Sum, then . . .”

The Phoenix Restaurant
Ranked #671 of 9,544 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$0 - US$28
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Englewood, Florida
“If this is Dim Sum, then . . .”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I don't really care for it. I know Phoenix has gotten excellent reviews and they are recommended in a couple of travel books, but, for me - nothing was that good. So, I guess Dim Sum is not my thing. The restaurant was so busy (which would indicate that the food is excellent). We had absolutely no clue of what to take when it was offered by the "Cart People", didn't know prices, and sadly could not understand a word that the "Cart People" were saying. One of them finally just laughed at us and walked away. Only when an english speaking manager type came along did we have an opportunity to ask questions about the food, what it was and probably could have asked how much it was that we were being charged. The cost was not a problem, but we would have liked to know what was on our plates and what the other choices were going to be. It was $38 for two of us by the end of our meal - they keep a tab on what they give you and keep the tab on your table. The place was not awfully dirty, however there were many greasy smudges on the glass doors between the stairway you come up and the restaurant itself. The bathroom was not sparkling but not as dirty as some. It was a frantic scene, not at all relaxing. The saving grace was that it was so busy with Chinese people that you knew it must be good enough for them to flock to, so if you want to know if you like Dim Sum, this is the place to find out. I'm glad I can confidently check that food type off of my life list.

• Visited June 2014

San Diego, California
“Good Dim Sum”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We always stop by for lunch when visiting Chicago, normally on a Friday. You fill in a list for which and how many plates of Dim Sum you want. It was not very busy at 11:15 AM, but the service was incredibly slow. We had to have them pack out final two items to go since we had them pack two of our orders after we had been there 90 minutes. Not your typical cart service where you can fill up your table in less than 10 minutes.

They even forgot our order for Chinese broccoli since it was not on the list I assume!
We will continue to stop by for the Dim Sum knowing service will be variable!

• Visited June 2014
Bremen, Indiana
“Dim Sum”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We love to go there for Dim Sum but we did not have many choices from Dim Sum menu now since the renovation.

• Visited April 2014
North Aurora, Illinois
“Phoenix looks great but service is different on Sundays”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have been to Phoenix many times and used to be the only place i visited. When CAI and Ming Hin opened, I switched to check them out. When Phoenix remodeled, I went on a Sunday, which is the busiest day in Chinatown for all restaurants. The DIM SUM did not seem to be much different than the others, just that I had to get up to chase the carts all the time since they would all veer in a different direction which was very annoying. I had to ask for water, napkins, etc. So the attention was not there. Since I had to chase the carts several times, it really turned me off. I guess I can't judge by this visit and perhaps another time if I sat in the right spot, I might get lucky. Weekdays, you do get more attention. Remodeling still did not seem complete, thus you might have a different impression later when it is finished and they read all these reviews. Since the Egg Tarts are my favorite, you always have to ask them to get them to bring them to your table. I have rarely seen them on carts and they serve them later in the Dim Sum time period. You will never find them there at 8:30 AM.

• Visited March 2014
Wheaton, Illinois
“Pricey but excellent dim sum”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Phoenix is perhaps one of the most well-known and popular dim sum restaurants in Chicago's Chinatown. It is almost always crowded with many non-Chinese diners. Dim sum on the weekends is served on roaming carts where diners pick the dishes they want to eat. Dim Sum, which literally means "little hearts" or "precious" are the Chinese equivalent of tapas (actually, it's probably the other way around but more people may know what tapas are) and are served on small plates. There are steamed and fried dumplings, "bows" (stuffed doughy treats), sticky rice, spareribs, chicken/duck feet, pig stomach, etc. All the dishes are well-prepared and Phoenix deserves it reputation for high quality. I have dined here at least several dozen times over the years and have never been disappointed.

• Visited March 2014