“Excellent Chinese food experience, shady neighborhood”

The Phoenix Restaurant
Ranked #1,039 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$0 - US$28
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I took a group of people to The Phoenix Restaurant this past week. The food was excellent! We ordered about 6 different entrees and shared as a group. The neighborhood is a bit 'iffy' but overall our experience was a good one. We used "Uber" after our dinner and had a driver there within 5 minutes to take all 6 of us back to our hotel. I would recommend this restaurant to others!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

there are so many restaurants in Chinatown to choose from, but each time we have eaten at the Phoenix we have enjoyed every bite from their vast selection. We haven't had the dim sum, but after reading other reviews, we'll have to go back. would definitely recommend for any tourist looking for a relaxing atmosphere with good food.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This property has updated its decor since our last visit. While decor should never be confused with quality of food, our visit affirmed this spot still has the best dim sum we've experienced outside of Hong Kong. This remains a great choice for classic dim sum from chicken feet to foreigner favorites. Very authentic.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were in China town for lunch and I had seen positive reviews for the Phoenix, so we decided to check it out. Very reasonably priced and the Dim Sum was very good.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I don't really care for it. I know Phoenix has gotten excellent reviews and they are recommended in a couple of travel books, but, for me - nothing was that good. So, I guess Dim Sum is not my thing. The restaurant was so busy (which would indicate that the food is excellent). We had absolutely no clue of what to take when it was offered by the "Cart People", didn't know prices, and sadly could not understand a word that the "Cart People" were saying. One of them finally just laughed at us and walked away. Only when an english speaking manager type came along did we have an opportunity to ask questions about the food, what it was and probably could have asked how much it was that we were being charged. The cost was not a problem, but we would have liked to know what was on our plates and what the other choices were going to be. It was $38 for two of us by the end of our meal - they keep a tab on what they give you and keep the tab on your table. The place was not awfully dirty, however there were many greasy smudges on the glass doors between the stairway you come up and the restaurant itself. The bathroom was not sparkling but not as dirty as some. It was a frantic scene, not at all relaxing. The saving grace was that it was so busy with Chinese people that you knew it must be good enough for them to flock to, so if you want to know if you like Dim Sum, this is the place to find out. I'm glad I can confidently check that food type off of my life list.