“worth the trip to Chicago just for this”

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop
Ranked #725 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Bustling, Asian fusion diner located in the heart of Chinatown Square. Bright cheerful decor and extraordinarily popular with Chinese and non-Chinese alike. We had the excellent jumbo Vietnamese noodle soup (pho) bowl which they say serves 4-6, but it's more like 6-8. Shrimp tempura was perfect, crisp, hot, and generous. Most extensive bubble tea and smoothie menu I've ever seen. A must-do for Asian foodies!

1  Thank gwwyjjliu

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Though I am a super picky eater and not at all adventurous when it comes to food, I agreed to go here to satisfy my family's desire for more unusual fare. Didn't expect it to become my fave place to eat in Chicago!! I wish I could try more of what they have to offer but I am totally hooked on good ol' chicken and broccoli! My husband and son get all kinds of crazy seafood dishes and they love everything!
Food is very fresh, variety is incredible...give yourself a good hour if you want to go over the whole menu!! Smoothies are delicious and so many wonderful, delicious flavors and combinations to choose from.
Prices are very reasonable. Restaurant is always clean and usually can get a seat right away. Service is great. There isn't one negative thing I can say about this place...LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is my third visit and I plan to keep going back! It is one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago that is affordable. We are always seated quickly even on a weekend and the food comes out quickly too. The entrees are huge so I usually split one with my husband. The quality of the chinese is way better than many other places in the city. The chicken isn't all fatty and tough. It is tender. The fruit smoothie I got was refreshing and fresh. On both of our visits there, our waiters waited on us hand and and foot. They constantly keep your glass full of water unlike any other place I have ever been. The only negatives are that there are usually a few fruit flies in the restaurant bothering us while we eat and you may be seated next to strangers with a few inches in between your tables which can feel awkward.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Not a bad pit stop for having assorted Asian cuisine and relaxing with refreshing bubble tea.

The bubble tea here never disappoints. Sizes are significant, and I'd like to think they use real fruit. My friends and I usually frequent Joy Yee's more for the drinks than the food. But the food isn't bad either. I've had quite a number of dishes here before, but don't remember all their names. The chow funs and chow udon noodles are generally pretty good. There's just way too many items on their menu, so I'd suggest asking your server for recommendations.

Joy Yee's is always a lively place, and it's affordable and tasty.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our family goes to eat here about every 2 to 3 months. Their menu is probably the biggest menu I've ever seen so variety is not a problem. We do tend to order the same food though just because I know the kids will eat it, like the Korean barbeque short ribs. You'll usually see a huge line in the summer for the fresh fruit smoothies, and you have options for tapioca bubbles or fresh fruit on top...you have so many options not to mention flavors. You get your food quickly and the portions are huge. The only negative I would say is the waiters are not as attentive or friendly to their customers--and it's hard to find parking.